Kodiak brown bear rifle

I've had one grizzly tag go un filled. My partner got a BC bear on that one,I've had them in camp, met them on the trail, and I've seen a few good black bears taken.

You've been here long enough and often enough, so you know the pro's and cons, as well as I do.

The .375 Ruger should be a great choice, pick a good bullet and go.

If somebody told me be here in the next couple of days, I've got 2 choices in the safe, a ,338 RUM with the 275 Swift A-frame, or my .375 H&H with a 300 Swift A-frame. I'm kind of short on 30 magnums right now, but a 220 Nosler partition would be where I start thinking minimum.

Frankly always tickled to hear someone is going, take pictures for us arm chair quarterbacks.

I have first hand experience with the 375 H&H using the 300gr Swift A-Frame. 220 yard shot, quartering toward me. Shot at the seam of the shoulder where it meets the neck. Bang-Flop. Inspection on skinning revealed: Went in front shoulder, came out opposite hip. 8+ foot bear, so penetrated about 6 ft of bear.

I have first hand experience with the 375 H&H using the 300gr Swift A-Frame. 220 yard shot, quartering toward me. Shot at the seam of the shoulder where it meets the neck. Bang-Flop. Inspection on skinning revealed: Went in front shoulder, came out opposite hip. 8+ foot bear, so penetrated about 6 ft of bear.

Wow. That's impressive.

Much respect here for the .375 H&H AND the A-Frame bullet.

Also, congrats on that shot! Nicely done.

I think it's mildly humorous that this thread has gone so many pages... When most hunters will NEVER actually hunt a grizzly of any kind, let alone a Kodiak brown bear.

But... Many of us would love to do so, and dreaming is just fine. :)

Regards, Guy

Swift Aframe, in these larger calibers, 300-375, what is the best accuracy range, say shooting 2" groups or less? 100 yards, 200, 300? If you have experience please chime in. I'm guessing a hunt like this would be most fun under a 100 yards, but good to know how accurate for killing and max distance whereas it would be ridiculous to pull the trigger.

Swift Aframe, in these larger calibers, 300-375, what is the best accuracy range, say shooting 2" groups or less? 100 yards, 200, 300? If you have experience please chime in. I'm guessing a hunt like this would be most fun under a 100 yards, but good to know how accurate for killing and max distance whereas it would be ridiculous to pull the trigger.

My .375 Weatherby (re-chambered from .375 H@H) will shoot 3 shot groups in the .7 inch range; 2650-2700 fps with 300 gr. A-frames. The rifle is a Safari express model 70.

My primary hunting rifle is a Speedy Gonzales (bench rest gunsmith) titanium model 700 in 300 WSM. I shoot 180 Swift A-frames in it; .6 in 3 shot groups are not uncommon.

They are an extremely accurate bullet. The only downside to them is a poor BC (if you want to shoot them very far). I killed an elk this year at 627 yards with my 300 WSM. I also shot a deer at 15 yards and was amazed at the lack of meat damage. The bullets are so tough they do not cause much meat damage- even at close range.

Best all around bullet there is IMO

Thank you for your input. Even though I practice longer range, I love hunting under 300 all the way to real close up. Love Timber woods hunting and my hunting thus far has been pretty much short range. I have a 300 WSM so I will make note of that one too. I had a 375 H&H single shot but plan on getting a repeater, the swift A frame seems like a great hunting bullet and accurate enough at my distances, typically 300 or less. It seems to me the 375 H&H at 300 or less would be accurate and powerful enough to take a Kodiak bear? Thank You.

Thank you for your input. Even though I practice longer range, I love hunting under 300 all the way to real close up. Love Timber woods hunting and my hunting thus far has been pretty much short range. I have a 300 WSM so I will make note of that one too. I had a 375 H&H single shot but plan on getting a repeater, the swift A frame seems like a great hunting bullet and accurate enough at my distances, typically 300 or less. It seems to me the 375 H&H at 300 or less would be accurate and powerful enough to take a Kodiak bear? Thank You.

.375 H@H is plenty enough rifle for brown bear. If you are in the market for a bolt gun take a look at the Winchester Safari Express. I like them so much I bought three ! lol. I have one in .416 Remington and .458 Lott (re-chambered from .458 Winchester).

They are a little light for the larger calibers; but I shot my .375 H@H a fair amount before I had it re-chambered to .375 Wby; recoil was notthat bad. My .458 Lott was really obnoxious before I added a 16 oz recoil reducer to it along with almost 1 lb. of lead.

The Safari Express has a very good "feel" larger pistol grip and fore-end / smooth action- accurate. They are my favorite off the shelf rifle.