Wyoming 2024?

Wyoming Game & Fish oversold additional doe/fawn licenses in the late 1970s. This practice reduced the numbers of antelope DRASTICALLY. We'll never see herds of that size again.

There have been some rough winters…in particular last winter. The numbers will recover to a degree, but it takes a few years and favorable conditions.
Yeah, in summer pretty much every hay field or irrigated field used to hold 100-300 antelope any time you drove by. Those same fields may hold 6-10 animals now... if they have any on them.

Late season when all the antelope herd up for winter we will see 20-30, sometimes more... but those are multiple herds combined from a large area.
Nothing like it used to be.

A travesty evidenced by mismanagement and greed.

Looking at using some of our Wyoming points next year for either Antelope, Deer or Elk before it gets too expensive for a mortal to afford the hunt. 3 buddies and I have 10 points for all 3 and are not getting any younger, were all in our early to mid 60's with 2 of us having some minor health issues that eliminate tent back country hunts. I know the winter kill last year was horrific in the southwest, but what is everyone else's opinion on the rest of the state and any leads on a good outfitter that we won't have to spend our retirement savings on to have a good time. None of us are "TROPHY" hunters we just want a chance at an average critter and to bring home some meat for the freezer. I have been going threw the Wyoming Outdoors magazine from last year and the WY website for trespass hunts but looking for some leads and or advice from firsthand experience from my fellow LRH forum members. Thanks in advance...............................JR
I would not waste my money on a WY outfitter unless you are looking for a book antelope. More important would be pick a unit with good access and public land options. Antelope hunting is not difficult in WY if you know how to use terrain and stalk and can effectively shoot 200 yds. Do you have 10 points each or 10 points split three ways- that's a big difference on what unit you can draw.

Here is a sobering article:

This should give everyone an idea of just how bad last winter was. ~ 67% winter kill…that is devastating.

Here is a sobering article:

This should give everyone an idea of just how bad last winter was. ~ 67% winter kill…that is devastating.
I hunted south of Jackson,East of Hobart 2023 with an outfitter. The harvest was down 73% according to Fish and Game records from the preceding year. Virtually no deer. Ran in to another outfitter who said he was not even to be booking hunts for mule deer for 2-3 years. I wasted 17 points for the worst hunt ever. Don't waste points for the next few years. I have not followed the snow conditions this year but even if mild it will take 2-3 years to recover,

Happy Mountain Man GIF

Well, you could hunt CO OTC tags…with everyone else…

It will take more than 2 or 3 years barring another severe winter.Hunted northern
Colorado sense 1975 would see tons of deer lots of bucks .And then mother nature wiped them out in i believe it was 87 /88 somewhere in there hunted my tail off the following year and never saw even a forky.Last year was ugly but baring disease or bad winters they will come back.OH but then theres the wolves oh crap did i say WOLVES sorry!

Yeah, in summer pretty much every hay field or irrigated field used to hold 100-300 antelope any time you drove by. Those same fields may hold 6-10 animals now... if they have any on them.

Late season when all the antelope herd up for winter we will see 20-30, sometimes more... but those are multiple herds combined from a large area.
Nothing like it used to be.

A travesty evidenced by mismanagement and greed.

I drove across the middle of WY in Aug 21.

Lusk to Farson.

I counted 26 antelope

That was before last winters carnage.

There's more wannabe outdoorsman than outdoors.

It will never be better than it is today.

Recent Posts