Wyoming 2024?

Looking at using some of our Wyoming points next year for either Antelope, Deer or Elk before it gets too expensive for a mortal to afford the hunt. 3 buddies and I have 10 points for all 3 and are not getting any younger, were all in our early to mid 60's with 2 of us having some minor health issues that eliminate tent back country hunts. I know the winter kill last year was horrific in the southwest, but what is everyone else's opinion on the rest of the state and any leads on a good outfitter that we won't have to spend our retirement savings on to have a good time. None of us are "TROPHY" hunters we just want a chance at an average critter and to bring home some meat for the freezer. I have been going threw the Wyoming Outdoors magazine from last year and the WY website for trespass hunts but looking for some leads and or advice from firsthand experience from my fellow LRH forum members. Thanks in advance...............................JR
Stay out of area B. Hunted there last year and harvest was down 74% from previous year. Winter kill was horrific. I hunted with an outfitter reputed to be excellent but clearly was unprepared and did not adjust from when times were good.
It will take 3-5 years for that area to recover as long as they don't get clobbered again this winter.

I think that is a good idea. If you can wait a year or two, I think your points will be better utilized. We have had a mild winter so far this year. That may bit of a mixed blessing - should help fawn survival, but we still need more snow in the high country for water.

Our snowpack is a little down right now…but there is plenty of winter left.

I drive between Gillette and Casper for work. The pronghorn and deer took a bad hit last winter. So far this year has been mild, but it is not over until it's over. It will be a couple years before recovery on antelope and longer for mule deer. I shot one whitetail this year and burned my mule deer tag.
I didn't realize that the north east part of the state had a severe winter last year.
I think the south east part of the state avoided most of the really bad stuff?

I didn't realize that the north east part of the state had a severe winter last year.
I think the south east part of the state avoided most of the really bad stuff?
Some parts of the state recorded the worst winter in history. The "easy" parts of WY "only" had the worst winter in 50 years.
All of WY took a hit.
We watched antelope bed in the snow with negative sixty degree temps and never get back up. They layed down and froze to death.
This was on our road outside Buffalo/Sheridan area.
Of course, sixty mph winds at the time didn't help things.
The SW got hammered.

Last edited:
Some parts of the state recorded the worst winter in history. The "easy" parts of WY "only" had the worst winter in 50 years.
All of WY took a hit.
We watched antelope bed in the snow with negative sixty degree temps and never get back up. They layed down and froze to death.
This was on our road outside Buffalo/Sheridan area.
Of course, sixty mph winds at the time didn't help things.
The SW got hammered.
That's heartbreaking. Mother Nature's a tough cookie. Mule deer numbers in the SW haven't been good for a very long time.

That's heartbreaking. Mother Nature's a tough cookie. Mule deer numbers in the SW haven't been good for a very long time.
It is tough to see. Brutal.

We all know that mulies are on a thirty year decline, and a lot of us know the antelope are not what they used to be.

I have a chart saved somewhere where it shows antelope on a steady decline.
Over issue of antelope tags, no doubt... in my mind.

IMG_4834.png

It is tough to see. Brutal.

We all know that mulies are on a thirty year decline, and a lot of us know the antelope are not what they used to be.

I have a chart saved somewhere where it shows antelope on a steady decline.
Over issue of antelope tags, no doubt... in my mind.

View attachment 529390
That's a very sharp decline since 2010!

Wyoming Game & Fish oversold additional doe/fawn licenses in the late 1970s. This practice reduced the numbers of antelope DRASTICALLY. We'll never see herds of that size again.

There have been some rough winters…in particular last winter. The numbers will recover to a degree, but it takes a few years and favorable conditions.