Wyoming 2024?

JRY46

Looking at using some of our Wyoming points next year for either Antelope, Deer or Elk before it gets too expensive for a mortal to afford the hunt. 3 buddies and I have 10 points for all 3 and are not getting any younger, were all in our early to mid 60's with 2 of us having some minor health issues that eliminate tent back country hunts. I know the winter kill last year was horrific in the southwest, but what is everyone else's opinion on the rest of the state and any leads on a good outfitter that we won't have to spend our retirement savings on to have a good time. None of us are "TROPHY" hunters we just want a chance at an average critter and to bring home some meat for the freezer. I have been going threw the Wyoming Outdoors magazine from last year and the WY website for trespass hunts but looking for some leads and or advice from firsthand experience from my fellow LRH forum members. Thanks in advance...............................JR

3.3334 is going to make it tough. Look at the odds and see what you could have drawn with 2 then realize some of those that applied on the special will drop to the regular because of the special going to $1200+. Then wait for the proposed quotas to come out in mid March and go from there.

I live in Wyoming and have for quite some time, so I'll fill you in. Wyoming Game & Fish estimates that the 22-23 winter killed half the antelope and deer population in the western half of the state.

Additionally, does did not produce many fawns coming out of that winter, so it will be a few years for those areas to to recover. So, I would scratch off the areas west of the divide for deer and antelope.

Elk are tougher animals, but they didn't escape the winter either, so there was winter kill statewide, just not quite as bad.

So, if I was going to chase something, I would look at areas east of Casper, around Gillette, and Sundance.

The truth is, there won't be trophy deer and antelope for a while…it's just take some years of mild winters for them to recover.

Recent Posts