What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

.204 Ruger, .223 Remington, 22-250, 6.5 CM, 28 Nosler; the littles are my mainstays because I deal with more varmint that big game. I don't hunt dangerous game anywhere, there aren't even any black bears where I live currently, and though I buy a black bear tag in Colorado when I elk hunt, I have never shot one. The 28 with 195 Bergers should be sufficient on a 250-300 pound bear seeing what they do to 5-600 pound elk. The CM is great medicine for filling the freezer with whitetail does without much meat damage, and the 250 works in a pinch for the same shooting 68 grain bthp Hornady's.

To start,
22 Lr, 22 M
223, because of availability when STTF
270 Win because it kills
308/7.65 again, because of availability when STTF
300 WM out to 1000 yds, just works.
Hand Guns.
22Lr, 9mm, 45 ACP

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
Most of this would depend on reloading supplies and availability there of
223rem
6.5 prc
7mm rem mag
300 win mag
375 H&H ? I'm not familiar with the largest calibers 338 lapua ?

22 LR in a good bolt gun (CZ 452 with a 3-15x scope)
223 both a bolt and a semi-auto (CZ Varmint model & Mini-14 accurized)
30-06 bolt gun (I have loads from 100-200 grains)
375 H&H heaviest caliber I can handle and my one gun for Africa, Alaska, Australia
Sorry but 4 will do me well. I do need a 12 ga though, but it's not a "caliber".

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
6.5 CM
300 WBY
338 RUM
454 Casull

I am a 30+ year short range benchrest shooter so my list starts with the most accurate round in the world 😎

6mm PPC
22 lr
25-06
270 win
338 RUM

Hey guys,