Budget friendly do it all in LH

Ohio, if a brake is not to be considered I think you are on the right track with the Creedmore. It's a very good round that won't kick the daylights out of a new shooter.
IMO that's incredibly important when a person is just getting started.
Make it fun to shoot, and he will shoot the **** out of it. And, in the process, he'll get to be a good shot with it.
If it kicks enough to be uncomfortable, he'll never shoot it enough to hit anything at 300 much less 1k.

I'm just a little worried about the down range energy of the 6.5, which would spin me back towards the larger diameter. I'm kind of leaning to split the difference w/ 7RM.

He has a deer tag and a barbary tag, so he can run 140's for deer then has plenty of time to bump up to 160's for barbary. I'm just thinking the 7mm and 30cal offer a little more versatility over the 6.5 especially for heavier game.

I love 6.5's. The fact is the Creed is a marginal long range cartridge. It has been marketed very well and sold as some miracle long range cartridge. It is what it is. Good to hunt elk to 500y and deer to 700y on the outer limits.

The 26 Nosler would be a 6.5 with horse power. Due to the lighter bullets would still have less recoil than a 7mag.

Steve

Well just txt him and he said he ain't scared of recoil. And there you have it. Savage 116 300wm sounds like the ticket. This should be interesting.

7RM is shootable all day long with a good recoil pad. If he's a guy who can handle a little extra draw length, a slip on Limb Saver works wonders.

Another thought... Ruger makes the new FTW Hunter in 300 WM with a removable brake. Check It out. They also have it in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Ruger® Hawkeye® FTW Hunter Bolt-Action Rifle Model 47175

Should also get himself a plinking bolt action in 223. Lots of cheep practice and never wear it out.
Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6921

Ever man needs a least two rifles.:D

Ohio, is there any way of getting him out shooting a 300 before the purchase? Even if it's a right handed gun, it may help to have him take a few shots with one before he lays down the cash.

Especially being a new shooter, starting him off with too large a gun can cause problems that are not easily fixed.

lightbulb"WE" can only advise, he has the ultimate decision to make, like it or not, "WE" have to respect it.lightbulb

Yep, The plan is savage 116 300 shooting precision hunter 200gr but we'll let the gun pick the ammo rather than vice versa.

Now on to the scope and rings. Suggestions? THinking BDC

Yep, The plan is savage 116 300 shooting precision hunter 200gr but we'll let the gun pick the ammo rather than vice versa.

Now on to the scope and rings. Suggestions? THinking BDC

Sounds like plan. If FFP is not a show stopper, check out the 4-20x50 Burris Veracity. I have it on my .270 AI; reticle tick marks good to 650. With 20 MOA rail, I get a total of 55 MOA of elevation once zero stop is set. Farthest shot thus far is 936 yards with 175 Matrix VLD.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.