Mountain/Do-it-all rifle build suggestions.

Currently age 29, in fairly good shape, and i've lugged 13lbs rifles in the field before and it wasn't bad but it also was only 4 to 5 miles in the Black Hills of South Dakota for 3 days. However, I do know that the days of lugging rifles that heavy are going away which is why I am building what I am. I would certainly not say no to a rifle in the 7lbs area but in reality I think 8lbs is the target in my head. I see now that there are lighter stocks available then the 27oz carbon fiber Manners I have selected and I think down the line if 8lbs is getting too heavy I can shave 3/4lbs with a lighter stock.

As far as a carbon fiber barrel, I am still not sold that they are lighter than most #1 or #2 profile and for almost double the cost. Proof's website shows that a .284 bore, 24", carbon fiber bolt action barrel is 3lbs 1oz at $830 plus all the machine and fitment work required. A Criterion Sporter contour prefit at 24" is 2lbs 15oz for $550 and requires no additional machining. Then a Benchmark #2 at 24" long is 3lbs 0oz or 2lbs 11oz for a #1 contour. If there is something I am missing with Proof's barrels please tell me but everything I am seeing is that they aren't as featherlight as I once thought and I just don't see a justification for $1100-ish dollars into a barrel that isn't significantly lighter. If Proof's barrel was 2lbs flat it would be a different story for me.

I hope I am not appearing argumentative or dismissive of your help. I greatly appreciate the ideas. I'm trying to articulate my thought processes as best I can so that if I am incorrect about something, someone will hopefully correct me.

I bought a 26" carbon fiber barrel from Christensen and a 26" Pac-Nor ultralight contour barrel for two rifles. Both weighed 40 ounces. I had the Pac-Nor fluted and reduced it another 7 oz.

Steel is the way to go for me.

I bought a 26" carbon fiber barrel from Christensen and a 26" Pac-Nor ultralight contour barrel for two rifles. Both weighed 40 ounces. I had the Pac-Nor fluted and reduced it another 7 oz.

Steel is the way to go for me.

7 oz from an ultralight seems like a lot. Did you actually weigh before and after?

Impressive
What type of fluting was it? Do you have a picture.
My experience with light contours is 4 oz, that's with two different barrels one 24" the other 25".
Both fluted to the max recommend depth/length.

You want the Ultimate light weight mountain rifle check out New Ultra Light Arms. You can easily get to 6.5 pounds scoped, loaded and sling for less money than trying to build it yourself. They also shoot 1/2 MOA when you get it. Been using left hand models of them for 20 years; except for my 375, most of my other guns never get to go hunting any more.

I think the advantage with carbon barrels is they're easy to thread for suppressor use. I'm building a couple hunting rifles with proof sendero light barrels. Reason is because they are large enough muzzle diameter to thread 5/8x24 for a suppressor.

Carbon barrels are nice to run a suppressor on. I spoke with rock creek about tapering the last 1" of a steel sporter barrel to .750-.800 similar to the ruger all American ranch rifles. That way I could still run my can on short light steel barrels without using an adapter.

You want the Ultimate light weight mountain rifle check out New Ultra Light Arms. You can easily get to 6.5 pounds scoped, loaded and sling for less money than trying to build it yourself. They also shoot 1/2 MOA when you get it. Been using left hand models of them for 20 years; except for my 375, most of my other guns never get to go hunting any more.

If going that way, I'd look used. Seems like lead times reported have been 2-3 years.

I just did a build could have been lighter but I havethat covered with another rifle in the works . My specs are
KS Arms LA 30oz
Wildcat ultralight Var Tac stock 25oz with pic rail
KS Arms #5 deep fluted finished @24" 338cal
HS bottom metal
Hawkins ultra light Hybrid rings like 3oz
Gun on scale is 7.5 lbs then my 20 oz scope
All done loaded will be roughly 9-9.25.
That kimber rig of Weatherby fans is sweet I would like to have that in the safe.

If going that way, I'd look used. Seems like lead times reported have been 2-3 years.

Talk to Melvin because I think your heard times are way out from my recent experience.. Ordered one on Aug 25th 2018, got it Dec 12th. I have never had to wait more than a few months for even the most speced out rifle to show up. Most custom smiths in my part of the world take at least 6 months to put a custom gun together. That said, if you can find a left hand one used and built exactly as you want, that would be a heck of a good deal.

Talk to Melvin because I think your heard times are way out from my recent experience.. Ordered one on Aug 25th 2018, got it Dec 12th. I have never had to wait more than a few months for even the most speced out rifle to show up. Most custom smiths in my part of the world take at least 6 months to put a custom gun together. That said, if you can find a left hand one used and built exactly as you want, that would be a heck of a good deal.

I hope that's true. I steered away after reading multiple posts about guys being quoted 9 months and were still waiting almost 2 years in. From talking to other customers, that seemed to be the norm. That included happy customers that loved the rifles.

I get lead times are estimates. I was quoted 12 weeks for my MPA and it was close to 6 months. I didn't even consider that out of line.

Impressive
What type of fluting was it? Do you have a picture.
My experience with light contours is 4 oz, that's with two different barrels one 24" the other 25".
Both fluted to the max recommend depth/length.

The barrel is 26" and fluted by Twisted Barrel. The stock company was suppose to ceracoat, but forgot so I painted it with black stove pain.

2019-02-09 10.53.33.jpg
2019-02-09 10.53.57.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.