Mountain/Do-it-all rifle build suggestions.

SavageHunter11

Decided to build myself a nice do-it-all (except bigger bears and moose) rifle. Planning to use it for antelope and whitetail every year and muleys, elk, goats, and sheep when I draw tags in my state plus any guided hunts I go on in the future. Trying to get as close to 8lbs scoped and ready to go and not exceed 9lbs. I have a build in mind, was hoping some of you with more experience could look at and see how correct I am with estimated weights and offer any suggestions if you see holes in the planned build. I am hoping to order everything this week or next week. Thanks again.

>> NSS Remington 700 left hand LA trued reciever-------------- 39oz
>>Remington ADL mag box, mag spring, and follower----------- 1oz
>>Sin Arms (Local to me) bolt fluting and threading service---- (-2oz)
>>Tactical Werks oversized carbon fiber bolt know-------------- (-1oz)
>>Pac-Nor Rem/Age #2 Super Match barrel 24" 280A.I. -------- 53oz
>>Pac-Nor fluting and muzzle threading service ------------- --- (-8oz)
>>APA Micro Bastard gen 2 ---------------------------------------- 1.8oz
>>Manners MCS-EH2 left hand carbon fiber stock ---------------- 28oz
>>Manners 9/16" pillars, 2 flush cups, and 3 sling studs --------- 2oz
>>Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP scope w/ CCH reticle ------- 22.4oz
>>Hawkins Precision 25MOA rings ------------------------------- -- 3.5oz
>>Bedding service, barreled receiver cerakote, stock hydrodip --- 1oz?

Total build weight looks like 140.7oz or 8.8lbs. Looking at similar builds on here it appears my rifle is almost a pound heavier than I would expect it to be just comparing to others. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

You could save a little weight with a carbon fiber barrel. proof light sender is 2lbs 14 oz. LRP scope has a big bulky turret, its a good scope I have one, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a hunting rifle. VX5 have a lower turret not sure if you would have any weight savings.

Really if your around 8-9 lbs scoped your in a good place. You have to spend a lot more to save a few onces

You could save a little weight with a carbon fiber barrel. proof light sender is 2lbs 14 oz. LRP scope has a big bulky turret, its a good scope I have one, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a hunting rifle. VX5 have a lower turret not sure if you would have any weight savings.

Really if your around 8-9 lbs scoped your in a good place. You have to spend a lot more to save a few onces

I believe, and maybe I am wrong, that with the fluting the Pac-Nor barrel actually comes out an ounce or two lighter than a Proof light sendero. Another plus of the Pac-Nor is that no further machining is required while the Proof would probably have me in for another $300 in machining and fitting.

While I don't like the big turret on the LRP and would really prefer the VX5, you can not get a VX5 in FFP and the LRP is the lightest FFP i have found. FFP is all I have used for years and I know I wouldn't be happy or comfortable taking long shots with a SFP scope.

Thank you for the input. If I am mistaken on the barrel weight being lighter than the Proof let me know...the barrel is the one component of this build I can't make a decision on that I am content with. Started with a Criterion heavy sporter, then a McGowen #3 fluted, then a Criterion light sporter, then a Proof light sendero, and I am currently on the Pac-Nor. Hoping to nail a barrel down with this post more than anything.

Buy a cheap used 7mmRM or .300WM Rem 700 BDL & SPS rifle for under $450. Then you have your action and bottom metal assembly. Get a Proof Research CF barrel 26" 1:8 twist, 7mm bore. Have your action trued and blueprinted, the barrel chambered for 7mm RemMag and threaded 5/8x24 on the end. Pick your stock of choice, have it all bedded and floated into the stock. Call it a day.

Buy a cheap used 7mmRM or .300WM Rem 700 BDL & SPS rifle for under $450. Then you have your action and bottom metal assembly. Get a Proof Research CF barrel 26" 1:8 twist, 7mm bore. Have your action trued and blueprinted, the barrel chambered for 7mm RemMag and threaded 5/8x24 on the end. Pick your stock of choice, have it all bedded and floated into the stock. Call it a day.
I have a large gun show this weekend in my city and I'll be on the lookout for a cheap remington 700 but I'm going to look for a long action, I'm stuck on the 280 A.I. and just don't want to do a 7mmRM. I reload as well and similar velocities with a 280A.I. with less powder and less recoil but still enough umph to do the job seems like a win-win. I do realise brass is more expensive and factory ammo, should i ever need it, it practically non-existent.

I have a large gun show this weekend in my city and I'll be on the lookout for a cheap remington 700 but I'm going to look for a long action, I'm stuck on the 280 A.I. and just don't want to do a 7mmRM. I reload as well and similar velocities with a 280A.I. with less powder and less recoil but still enough umph to do the job seems like a win-win. I do realise brass is more expensive and factory ammo, should i ever need it, it practically non-existent.
Everything still applied the exact same, but look for one in .270 Win or .30-06, instead of a magnum.

You could save about 6 oz. using a Swarovski Z5, though not FFP.
I have a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 that weights out at 16.3oz (6oz lighter than the LRP) that I am going to try out on it for a few deer and antelope. It's not as fancy as the Z5 but weight looks identical to it. I'll dip my toe back into the SFP waters while I save for the LRP and see what comes of it.

Out of curiosity, any reason that you suggest buying a complete rifle over building one off an already trued receiver? I'm not opposed to either method, just thought there would be less hassle.
Not really, it's just hard to find an already trued 700 receiver, unless you buy it already trued/blueprinted from a reputable company like PTG or Kevin Cram, or someone like that. I wouldn't buy a local gun from someone that's been "trued"... You never know what sort of backyard crap was done, or if they screwed something up. That's why I prefer to buy cheap used donor 700's that have never been pulled apart, and then start at square 1 with my gunsmith, that way I KNOW everything was done right. It ends up costing about the same, because you're still going to have to have a gunsmith build the rifle, unless you're going with a remage nut style build. Then, buying an already blueprinted 700 from PTG (which has their own upgraded bolt in it) is worth the extra money.

Not really, it's just hard to find an already trued 700 receiver, unless you buy it already trued/blueprinted from a reputable company like PTG or Kevin Cram, or someone like that. I wouldn't buy a local gun from someone that's been "trued"... You never know what sort of backyard crap was done, or if they screwed something up. That's why I prefer to buy cheap used donor 700's that have never been pulled apart, and then start at square 1 with my gunsmith, that way I KNOW everything was done right. It ends up costing about the same, because you're still going to have to have a gunsmith build the rifle, unless you're going with a remage nut style build. Then, buying an already blueprinted 700 from PTG (which has their own upgraded bolt in it) is worth the extra money.
I am going with the Rem/Age setup but still plan on having my gunsmith install the barrel. I was planning to get the trued action from Northland Shooter Supply which from what I have seen is a reputable company (they are also local to me) but I didn't know PTG had trued actions so I will be checking those out.

I've been working on an ultralight build for a few years and some of your values are underestimating weights and over estimating savings by a few oz. either way. So it may be heavier than you thing. If you shoot a #1 barrel, it will save you the cost of fluting and be in the 42 to 45 oz range. Unless you are trying to go sub 6.5, most standard off the shelf rifles will be less than 9lbs unless you put a big scope on it.

Our "Mountain Rifles" are TIKKA's,. 7.5 Pounds, Scoped and a TOTAL cost w/ Scope of, $1,200. Max ! They easily shoot, Sub MOA and we can "Dial" our "Validated Loads" to 750 Yards ( IF necessary ) Realistically, a ton of Game is shot at LESS THAN, 400 yards !
Personally. I wouldn't buy anything bigger than, a .270 WSM or 7mm Rem Mag tho, to keep RECOIL "reasonable" so you can practice, a LOT ! When you have, 250-300 pounds of Elk meat, to carry out of, the Back Country, WHY,.. carry, MORE ???
Trued, "blue printed" actions, are a waste of $$$'s for a "Mountain Rifle" as, NO Bench rest's are available, "up there", on the Mountain, just Pack's, Stix and bipods ! Fun to "fantasize" but,.. THIS ^^^ is what reality,. IS ! Bring on, the Haters ! LOL !
You asked for, "experience", & the .30-06 / .270's will Kill, Moose too, with "right" Bullet !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.