This is whats wrong with hunting today

This thread is probably the worse thing I’ve seen on this website. A bunch of virtue signaling, judgmental cheerleaders beating their chests. You all sound like hyenas cackling, looking for your pound of flesh from something you could never personally achieve. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But know this, most people would agree that your way of thinking is old, outdated and entirely irrelevant. The same people criticizing the cartridge of choice used in the video are the same people that use the word “ENERGY” as a metric of killing potential 😆. It might actually be more funny if this kind of behavior wasn’t this biggest detriment to our hunting and shooting sports. Just sit down grandpa. We got this
Well gee, I guess the military should adapt the 22 CM for all its sniper systems, right? Their thinking is just “outdated,” right?
Using .30 cals and above for sniper systems is just boomer talk and fuddlore.

I’m almost 71 years old and nobody is going to change my mind.
Through my experience with me pulling the trigger with the smaller cartridges there ain’t no way I am going to ever shoot at an elk again with anything less than a 7MM. If it ain’t going to “rock” them on impact then I ain’t going to tote it on a big game hunt.

The problem I had with the video is the incorrect term of "ballistic capability" and the claim of the bc's per cartridge. The bullet is what sets the bc. The cartridge just determines the velocity/ performance of the bullet. What a waste of time. Right there with bf.

I tend to use “enough gun” and maybe a tad extra for some additional margin. Yes, .22 cal centerfire cartridges with heavy bullets are legal in Wyoming for antelope, but I still lean to using a .24 cal as a minimum. As stated above, I don’t hunt elk with anything smaller than a 7mm.

I’m fortunate…I have a wide variety of rifles where I don’t have to make marginal caliber choices for game animals I hunt. I fail to see the thrill of using calibers that are obviously on the marginal side for a given game animal. If you have limited rifle choices, then I can understand. Otherwise…I don’t see the point.

I’ve never wounded/lost a game animal - I want to keep it that way.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion.
True. You could have the opinion that the sun is not hot. You could have the opinion that 4th trimester abortion is acceptable.
The same people criticizing the cartridge of choice used in the video
I’m not critical of the cartridge. I’m criticizing the person using a platform to “teach” a group of “followers” a subject the he is ignorant on.
Now, he may not be ignorant on the subject. As some have speculated, he may be purposely spreading erroneous information for monetary gain. If this is the case, then he is no different than an educator teaching DEI to impressionable youths.

Well gee, I guess the military should adapt the 22 CM for all its sniper systems, right? Their thinking is just “outdated,” right?

I mean that’s apples to oranges, one they can’t use expanding bullets so that drastically reduces the capability of smaller diameter bullets compared to what the average hunter uses, two they can’t be replacing barrels every 500 rounds to maintain accuracy and three most of the .30 cal systems are being used from 600 to 1 mile, anything less is within the range of the .223 with 77gr bullets.

Oh Wow. That's just what I thought but no surprise. Keeping our mouths shut is what got us into the mess we now have. One has the right to speak up and our first amendment protects that very right unless your opposed to the constitution.. Are you?

Oh Wow. That's just what I thought but no surprise. Keeping our mouths shut is what got us into the mess we now have. One has the right to speak up and our first amendment protects that very right unless your opposed to the constitution.. Are you?
I’m honestly just very confused at this point…did anyone here say something to the effect of denying freedom of speech? Did anyone here tell anyone else they shouldn’t have their own thoughts and say what they think? If so I must have missed it.

Disagreeing with someone doesn’t constitute infringing upon their rights, good grief you wanna talk about “democrat” logic well that’s it! Everyone here is free to speak their mind AND respond to other people speaking theirs. We might not agree but that’s fine, we’re still talking, and this is a free conversation! Unless people shouldn’t be free to openly disagree…the right to speak up doesn’t require no one else say anything 🤣

No one has tried silencing anyone here, no one is crapping on the first amendment or the constitution

Last edited:
This calls to mind the famed writer Jack O'Conner and his touting of the 270 Win. caliber in his articles. He and Elmer Keith used to go back and forth about the stopping ability of big bores vs. smaller calibers in the hands of a true rifleman. So eventually, Jack went over to Africa and took nearly all species of African game with the venerable 270. Although I have not read all his writings on the matter, I believe his point was that accuracy can trump caliber size. Was it a stunt? Possibly. But his point was made. But he never touted the 270 as a "do all" caliber for every man in every situation. Therein lies the difference between then and now.
And his wife Eleanor took many African animals, including kudu with the lowly 7x57 Mauser.

FTR, I am not against anything legal to hunt with. I watched enough hunting with air rifle videos last night to prove that anything is capable of killing, especially in the right hands.

What I am against is blatantly claiming XXX will be just as effective as YYY, that may be the case in a situation where the shooter is proficient with their rifle and they have chosen a bullet that is capable.

I know of a few 22 Creeds in various people's hands to have seen how effective they are, so much so I am going to build one as my next rifle.

So how is this post of yours not virtue signaling, judgmental and somewhat of a self-righteous assessment of what and who is relevant?
When pointing your finger at others, be aware that there are three pointing back at oneself.
Relevant: appropriate to the current time, period, or circumstances; of contemporary interest.
Maybe I jumped in after watching dozens of guys beat on a blind kid that can’t defend himself. Maybe I don’t like people running to their circle of friends to bash on someone rather than doing it in a manner that allows that person to defend themselves. Maybe that puts those people beneath me in my eyes.
Have you heard of the MK12 SPR? Or thought of the countless iterations of DMR’s fielded by armed forces? What are they chambered in? And which would you prefer to take into battle? A rifle chambered in 5.56 or a 22 Creedmoor? On top of that, they use those specific chamberings when they know their engagement envelope is outside the range of lesser rifles. You don’t take a win mag to a 300 meter and in fire fight. Everything has its place, including the 22 Creedmoor for hunting big game
True. You could have the opinion that the sun is not hot. You could have the opinion that 4th trimester abortion is acceptable.

I’m not critical of the cartridge. I’m criticizing the person using a platform to “teach” a group of “followers” a subject the he is ignorant on.
Now, he may not be ignorant on the subject. As some have speculated, he may be purposely spreading erroneous information for monetary gain. If this is the case, then he is no different than an educator teaching DEI to impressionable youths.
The sun is actually, factually and scientifically proven to be hot. That was a terrible example to try to use. The abortion matter, well, that seems to always work its way into gun debates. But you are correct. However that is an opinion hotly debated based on morals.
Then you say “he may not be ignorant” and “as others have speculated”, very strong grounds for an argument based on speculation and……. opinionnnnn. I feel you’re already up against the wall in far right field though so I’ll bow out of that one.
The moral of the story is, if you run the ballistics, there is nothing wrong with the cartridge used in the video. It clearly was very effective in taking that bear cleanly. He observed damage in the chest cavity that was on par with larger caliber bullets of similar construction. Not surprising when you consider how “explosive” small diameter bullets tend to be. You don’t need 20+” of penetration from a 30 cal magnum to destroy the lungs of an animal that is 12” deep. Just sayin

I like to think back to the advice "Use enough gun. Not enough for when conditions are perfect but enough for when they aint."
In my opinion, which is just that, is that will a .22 Creedmore kill a deer dead?
Absofreakinglutely.
Is it "The Ultimate"?
Not for me.
That's my opinion.
But I don't make money off trying to convince newbies that it is, either.

Recent Posts