Not to happy

And before we go down the road of BR doent mean anything for field shooting. I think I have posted as many or more 1000yd groups from hunting rifles than anyone. The same load development and techniques are used from the little 6mm br cases to the 338 lapua imp cases. Yes, exactly the same stuff.

Looks like this thread left the rails….
In an attempt to redirect for the OPs benefit…
When you get the job done and it's an amazing shooter, you'll be so glad you did it. If you ask for it to be returned and spend $300 less and it doesn't shoot you'll be ticked off.
I personally have spent a kings random on all things shooting. I don't mind paying for quality work. I want guys like Dallas Lane to stay in business. If he goes up in price a tick to cover the rising cost of being in business, ok. I'm good with that.
Consider the bath I took from buying 2 Bart carbons and paying to have them chambered only to start over due to gunsmith incompetence…

The fitment of the properly chambered barrel to a quality and true action is where magic happens. Pay for that and do the rest yourself. There's no high skill in bedding or mounting a trigger.

For the folks who say thats robbery, I paid $5.25 a gallon for diesel today, $4.69 on Monday.
Better get used to paying more for everything. The day is coming that we will miss the good old days when we paid $600 for a chamber job.

I sent a Marlin lever action to have it case colored. The quoted price was (I thought ) a little high at $800 but hey, the guy is famous for the color case hardening he produces. When completed, I received an invoice for $1400. When I called to inquire who should bring the condoms for the screwing I was getting, I was told that the quote was for the coloring. The extra $600 was for the taking it apart and putting it back together again. I guess I didn't ask the right question.
Wow, ***, was that some top secret one of a kind marlin, nearly 50 years ago as a 16 year old kid I paid 25 dollars at a garage sale for a box of parts I was sure I could make a marlin 3030 out of, my dad thought I paid to much but I ended up with a 3030 and a handful of other parts I never did identify, I remember when gun people were honorable

Wow, ***, was that some top secret one of a kind marlin, nearly 50 years ago as a 16 year old kid I paid 25 dollars at a garage sale for a box of parts I was sure I could make a marlin 3030 out of, my dad thought I paid to much but I ended up with a 3030 and a handful of other parts I never did identify, I remember when gun people were honorable
Bret
It was a guide gun that I had converted to 50 alaskan. I found a nice piece of walnut on ebay and had the maker use it for the restocking. He was supposed to color case harden it but there was a mixup and when I got it after a 3 year build time it wasn't done. I decided that I would send it off to get it finished. It's a beautiful safe queen that I want to kill a buffalo with it if I ever get drawn for the tag.

Bret
It was a guide gun that I had converted to 50 alaskan. I found a nice piece of walnut on ebay and had the maker use it for the restocking. He was supposed to color case harden it but there was a mixup and when I got it after a 3 year build time it wasn't done. I decided that I would send it off to get it finished. It's a beautiful safe queen that I want to kill a buffalo with it if I ever get drawn for the tag.
Pics?

Reamer is about $250.00 or there about. How many barrels you can do with the reamer I personal don't know. Overall it seem to be high.

Reamer is about $250.00 or there about. How many barrels you can do with the reamer I personal don't know. Overall it seem to be high.
It depends completely on the reamer quality, chambering, method of chambering and lube system. It would be very hard to put a number on it. I know smiths with 50+ on one reamer and 5 on an other. Change to carbide and it might last forever but they come with their weaknesses.

So if your running an average chamber job at $300 and your at a 10% margin it will take your entire profit from 9 chamberings to pay for the reamer. I chamber with a pretty reamer friendly system and I will have some go past that and some not.
The volume business I'm familiar with would run a margins of 8% or less. So not hard to figure out from there what that means!! That's why you see the guys on the cheaper side often really make their living on the product their machines run for the aftermarket.

I am glad I have been looking at this. I just got my rifle back from the gun smith. I am looking at the charges for doing the work. I had order out 2 barrels. One to be an extra barrel if I need it and don't want to wait for a barrel to be shipped in. I noted I was charged for 2 barreling set up for chambering. I only did not. So I am going back to get a refund on 2 items. Charges are as follows: chambering, Thread & engrave $315.00 each, and thread adapter for muzzle brake at $125.00 each. So I am going to get back $440.00. Thank you everybody for bring this up.

It depends completely on the reamer quality, chambering, method of chambering and lube system. It would be very hard to put a number on it. I know smiths with 50+ on one reamer and 5 on an other. Change to carbide and it might last forever but they come with their weaknesses.

So if your running an average chamber job at $300 and your at a 10% margin it will take your entire profit from 9 chamberings to pay for the reamer. I chamber with a pretty reamer friendly system and I will have some go past that and some not.
The volume business I'm familiar with would run a margins of 8% or less. So not hard to figure out from there what that means!! That's why you see the guys on the cheaper side often really make their living on the product their machines run for the aftermarket.
In talking to the Smith, The reamer is built longer and can be cut back to either adjust or create a different setting on the reamer. So there not much in charges to rework the reamer over from my understanding. I have the reamer here with me presently.

In talking to the Smith, The reamer is built longer and can be cut back to either adjust or create a different setting on the reamer. So there not much in charges to rework the reamer over from my understanding. I have the reamer here with me presently.
It cost almost the same or more depending on manufacture to have them reworked or sharpened, been down that road and it's not cost effective with shipping and everything. More effective to just bite the bullet and buy a carbide reamer with matching core drill.