Not happy with my painting technique

Ok now that my test stock has about 15 coats of paint I'm starting to get the hang of it. Here's a couple different patterns and colors I've been playing with.
Again thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 30
I'm trying to figure out how to do a decent camo paint job for my new rifle. I tried sponge painting and a Bob Ross approach with dabbing a round brush but I'm not really happy with either one. I'm trying to get close to something like a Manners sponge paint like the one I have a picture of but can't seem to get the bigger blotches. I tried trimming the natural sponge into different shapes but it's just not working out. I tried different pressures but if I press too hard it turns into a smudge and too light it's more like speckled. Any advice on how to get closer to a Manners?
I know that you want it to look great, but wild game don't care. So long as it breaks up the lines of the rifle you are good to go.

I've rattle canned a few but I've yet to try the sponge trick. There's some pretty good tips in this thread. I'd have never guessed to soak the sponges first.

Here's my most recent rattle can job. A Ruger american 300blk that I did some stock work on so it required painting. Some tore up newspaper and krylon.
20240907_160212.jpg