Need some guidance..

6 .5 Creedmore is a little light. .300WM is a better bet. I knew a fella who grew up so poor that folks had to loan them air, they couldn't afford it. His brother kept them from starving at times by killing a deer with a .22WMR. You can kill an animal with anything that will penetrate to a vital organ, but whether you're comfortable with that is another matter.
I know conditions won't always be ideal and the shot placement might be a quarting shot.. That's why I want a round that can penetrate deeper and kill it for sure and not question it. Haha

In general, I question the 6.5 on elk not because its 6.5 but because its the CM and the velocities are low with the heavy bullets. If you want 140 grain bullets, look to the 270 wsm or plain 270. For hunting, I think the 6.5 is basically the same as the 308 for energy and velocity comps. How far would one shoot ant elk with 308? I've seen vids of people doing it at much further distances than I would.

The creed has killed lots of elk I know this for sure.an associate is a guide and his clients have killed a lot in the last 2 yrs.you use the right bullets and make good shots. I have a 300UM ,a 280AI.a7mm practical, but I like shooting my creedmore the elk I'm my avatar my son killed with my creedmore it was dead before it hit the ground you can see the entry hole in the picture.

In general, I question the 6.5 on elk not because its 6.5 but because its the CM and the velocities are low with the heavy bullets. If you want 140 grain bullets, look to the 270 wsm or plain 270. For hunting, I think the 6.5 is basically the same as the 308 for energy and velocity comps. How far would one shoot ant elk with 308? I've seen vids of people doing it at much further distances than I would.
My plan is to do as much shooting as possible in varying conditions. I want to be confident with my abilities and take as much meat home as possible.

I will be moving to Utah from Oklahoma in March. I definitely will be getting into Elk hunting and I was told to go with a 6.5 Creedmore. My main goal is primarily to hunt Elk and do some long range shooting at a range with yardage up to 2,000yds. I was also contemplating building a 300WM and putting a good muzzle brake on it to help with recoil. With me being new to Elk hunting I told the gentleman I don't plan on shooting past 400-500yds. I'm just concerned with penetration with the 6.5 Creedmore on a large animal. Also, what would you guy's recommend for a good muzzle brake? Thanks for any input gentlemen.
6.5 is a very nice caliber but a 300 Win-Mag with a 210-G or 212-G bullet is a better cartridge and I have seen many Elk taken in my life time and to be fair with the animal I would never use anything lighter past 300 yards.

The creed has killed lots of elk I know this for sure.an associate is a guide and his clients have killed a lot in the last 2 yrs.you use the right bullets and make good shots. I have a 300UM ,a 280AI.a7mm practical, but I like shooting my creedmore the elk I'm my avatar my son killed with my creedmore it was dead before it hit the ground you can see the entry hole in the picture.
I bet it has killed plenty of Elk.. But I'm new to this and want to take precautionary steps.. Haha

All great advice and funny too! Only animal that should ever be shot at more than 500-800 yds is a terrorist or other criminals and then who cares if you make a bad hit, for any hit is really a good one. One gent said he'd recommend 300WM, but didn't have one. :) I hunt pretty much with a 264 WM or a 340 Wby. With both I limit my shots to 600 or less (they will both shoot far better than most people (me included) at well past that range) and the 340 can do anything a 338 lapua can do and for a fraction of the cost. But if push came to shove or s hits t fan and I could only have one gun and I thought it might be needed the world over, remote areas, or for hard times it would be my 300 Win (or a .308 for ammo availability). As most everyone on here knows the problem with shooting big game at 1000+ (or even 800+yds) is that from the time you touch the trigger to the time the bullet arrives, an elk, deer, bear (insert animal of your choice) can move and cause you to make your worst hit ever. Or even completely miss which is more ideal, but murphy's law says is not the way it will happen:(. All these hunting shows and stories where they are killing animals at 1000+, never show any misses or bad hits, I'm sure that's cause they never have any. Yeah, whatever ;). Anyway, ignore the "manbun greedmor" and enjoy the new job and Utah, its a beautiful place with good folks and great hunting!

Now the question is.. Do I buy one off the shelf or piece one together? If anything I've been looking at Tikka and then replacing the stock and putting an aftermarket barrel on it with the muzzle brake.

Check out the Remington 5-R gen2 in 300WM.

All great advice and funny too! Only animal that should ever be shot at more than 500-800 yds is a terrorist or other criminals and then who cares if you make a bad hit, for any hit is really a good one. One gent said he'd recommend 300WM, but didn't have one. :) I hunt pretty much with a 264 WM or a 340 Wby. With both I limit my shots to 600 or less (they will both shoot far better than most people (me included) at well past that range) and the 340 can do anything a 338 lapua can do and for a fraction of the cost. But if push came to shove or s hits t fan and I could only have one gun and I thought it might be needed the world over, remote areas, or for hard times it would be my 300 Win (or a .308 for ammo availability). As most everyone on here knows the problem with shooting big game at 1000+ (or even 800+yds) is that from the time you touch the trigger to the time the bullet arrives, an elk, deer, bear (insert animal of your choice) can move and cause you to make your worst hit ever. Or even completely miss which is more ideal, but murphy's law says is not the way it will happen:(. All these hunting shows and stories where they are killing animals at 1000+, never show any misses or bad hits, I'm sure that's cause they never have any. Yeah, whatever ;). Anyway, ignore the "manbun greedmor" and enjoy the new job and Utah, its a beautiful place with good folks and great hunting!
I plan on it!! If any of you guy's are in the area, I'm always willing to meet new people and make lifelong friend's.

I will be moving to Utah from Oklahoma in March. I definitely will be getting into Elk hunting and I was told to go with a 6.5 Creedmore. My main goal is primarily to hunt Elk and do some long range shooting at a range with yardage up to 2,000yds. I was also contemplating building a 300WM and putting a good muzzle brake on it to help with recoil. With me being new to Elk hunting I told the gentleman I don't plan on shooting past 400-500yds. I'm just concerned with penetration with the 6.5 Creedmore on a large animal. Also, what would you guy's recommend for a good muzzle brake? Thanks for any input gentlemen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.