I need a little coaching/guidance

Golovkin

Hello,

I've hunted elk in Montana for 25yrs, and most of that time I've used a a SS model 700 .338 RUM with a factory tupperware stock. and a 25yr old Leupold Vari-Xiii 4.5X14 Scope.

Out of the 15 Elk I've killed, 12 Have been under a 100yds and the furthest were both at about 475yds. The last elk Killed at 475yds took about 8 shots because I had to shoot off-hand and I didn't know the hold, and couldn't see impacts, and I just sort of got lucky the thing let me keep shooting...

This last experience has got me thinking about elk hunting in a different light. Normally my elk hunting is about busting elk in tight timber and hitting them hard, even if I don't have the option of hitting them well - if you know what I mean. I know there are many opinions on this, but if your dinner doesn't come from knocking down 700lb animals that flush like pheasants, please understand that mine usually does, and we can save that argument for another day.

Anyway, My hunting has changed a bit to include longer yardage and I realize that myself and my equipment need to upgrade. I was thinking my first upgrade would be to send my Scope back to leupold for a CDS turret dialed into a custom handload. The custom Handload would be a 210gr Scirocco at around 3,200fps. After this I would invest in a bipod or set of shooting sticks (I have a lieca 1200 RF)and spend many rounds getting a feel for the setup. Perhaps at some point I would also Like to upgrade the stock.

Does this all sound like Time and Money well Spent, or would you suggest another route for a short range hunter that wants to upgrade his abilities when the situation warrants?

sounds like a good plan to me.The shooting stick, or maybe the longer bi pod?
I have the long Bi pod on my 7mm Rum I can shoot from the sitting position, or prone with them.

The stock is practically a must if you want a consistent poi, especially off bipods.
Bipods, rear bag, a scope you can dial with a reticle you can use to hold wind, and if it was myself, I'd need a muzzle brake to be consistent with a rum

As long as the gun is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards you shouldn't have any problem shooting elk at 500 yards. Your scope idea is a good one. I'd personally want a quality stock like a hs presicion for hunting. I also would want it skim bedied. The flimsy stocks can really cause issues especially if it's not a perfect shooting position. Shooting sticks are great but requires practice to be useful. If you can get you back up against you pack or hill they can be effective way out there. Without any Back Support I find myself steady enough for around 350 yards. The trigger is also important for the longer stuff. Practice, practice and more practice and you'll be fine.

I just sent a VXIII 4.5-14×40 30mm with side focus in for elevation/windage turrets...$225....I would say buy a newer scope....
All my rifles have leupold on them....the newest is a vx3i 6.5-20×50 30mm....with zero return turrets....and it is as lite if not lighter than all my other scopes......if you plan on the longer shots what about a new rifle too boot....keep the older for the brush....
I grew up hunting brush....it gets really old, really fast....scratching the heck out of a new rifle and scope makes it even worse...

Thanks guys!

I will look into the stock some more, a little more weight on that rifle would be a good thing. Not sure I can handle the bipod on the front for those close flushing shots...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.