Need some guidance..

Now the question is.. Do I buy one off the shelf or piece one together? If anything I've been looking at Tikka and then replacing the stock and putting an aftermarket barrel on it with the muzzle brake.

Browning is out of Morgan UT. I would look at x-bolt - not because they are out of Utah, but because all of mine have been tack drivers. Tikkas are good too.

Browning is out of Morgan UT. I would look at x-bolt - not because they are out of Utah, but because all of mine have been tack drivers. Tikkas are good too.
Yes sir. Now I need to stalk the classifieds on here to see what I can find.

Dang I have a 65 manbun...err, Creed and love it but it's far from my first choice for an elk rifle. I'm not even convinced it's the best deer rifle out there. Sure there have been elk killed with it and smaller but it's far from ideal. Had it been around during the Jurassic period I'm sure one cave man would have told another via social stone tablet media that he had killed a T-rex with his at 1200 yards.

You've already hit on what's probably one of the best all around western cartridges, the 300wm. Sure it's old and lacking in modern day flash with it's old fashioned belt and all but... I is a proven work horse with tons of load data and a wide variety of brass or loaded ammo available. It will get the job done with a quality 180-215 grain bullet.

What part of Utah? I would do a 28 Nosler or 300 RUM if reloading. If not a 300 win mag is a great choice.
I'll be living in Saratoga Springs and working in Provo for Duncan Aviation. I won't be reloading anytime soon. Plan to find some good off the shelf ammo and pick up components on here for when I can reload.

Dang I have a 65 manbun...err, Creed and love it but it's far from my first choice for an elk rifle. I'm not even convinced it's the best deer rifle out there. Sure there have been elk killed with it and smaller but it's far from ideal. Had it been around during the Jurassic period I'm sure one cave man would have told another via social stone tablet media that he had killed a T-rex with his at 1200 yards.

You've already hit on what's probably one of the best all around western cartridges, the 300wm. Sure it's old and lacking in modern day flash with it's old fashioned belt and all but... I is a proven work horse with tons of load data and a wide variety of brass or loaded ammo available. It will get the job done with a quality 180-215 grain bullet.
For an aftermarket barrel, I'm thinking 26" in Medium Palma.

I'll be living in Saratoga Springs and working in Provo for Duncan Aviation. I won't be reloading anytime soon. Plan to find some good off the shelf ammo and pick up components on here for when I can reload.
Let me know when you get here and I'll take you shooting. I live in Vineyard Utah.

I shoot a light Palma on my 28 Nosler and I think it's just right. I bet a medium Palma is fine as well.

Utah has a utahgunexchange.com or something similar for locals to buy and sell guns. Used to be KSL.com and then they banned the sale of firearms...

Dang Fig knows Utah alright. I stalk Utahgunexhange waiting for deals.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.