Need some guidance..

All of my extended family, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. all live up in North Ogden/Harrisville/Farr West. My in laws live in Orem. I have ties to good old utah to say the least! Haha
Nice! I am sure we know a few of the same ppl.

Anyone shooting at an Elk at 1500 yards is not an ethical hunter. I suppose it is possible. It is highly improbable however. I suspect if your buddy told you that he was grossly over estimating the yardage or his range finder is way way off. If you ask most people to guess yardage of an Elk at 300 yards they won't be within 150 yards of the actual yardage unless they have practiced guessing and then verifying with an accurate range finder. 100 yards off at 1500 yards is a total miss. Wind drift is critical to know for a 1500 yard shot. All of the above spells missed or worse: wounded animals. If your friend was a special forces sniper shooting a 50 cal with all the bells and whistles then let him have at it. Just my two cents.

I have the Savage Trophy Hunter, Off the shelf (Ordered specifically for me), Broke in carefully 3 Rounds, swab, 3 rounds, swab, 3 rounds, swab. Zeroing as I went, then final zero with 1 round at 3 separate targets. It is a Tack Driver, I would feel comfortable using it for anything in North America or South America.

My belief, Break in is KEY to accuracy.

1 Okie to another, Good Luck
dg

I have the Savage Trophy Hunter, Off the shelf (Ordered specifically for me), Broke in carefully 3 Rounds, swab, 3 rounds, swab, 3 rounds, swab. Zeroing as I went, then final zero with 1 round at 3 separate targets. It is a Tack Driver, I would feel comfortable using it for anything in North America or South America.

My belief, Break in is KEY to accuracy.

1 Okie to another, Good Luck
dg
Thanks brother! Can't wait to get my rifle and get setup.

When I was looking into getting a custom rifle for shooting out West I was asked what the primary game animal was going to be. If Elk, I was told to go with 30 cal or larger, but since I said deer/antelope I was told that the 7mm was fine. And the 7mm that I was looking at (and ended up getting) shoots faster than the 28 Nosler.....

When I was looking into getting a custom rifle for shooting out West I was asked what the primary game animal was going to be. If Elk, I was told to go with 30 cal or larger, but since I said deer/antelope I was told that the 7mm was fine. And the 7mm that I was looking at (and ended up getting) shoots faster than the 28 Nosler.....
What 7mm did you end up getting?

6 .5 Creedmore is a little light. .300WM is a better bet. I knew a fella who grew up so poor that folks had to loan them air, they couldn't afford it. His brother kept them from starving at times by killing a deer with a .22WMR. You can kill an animal with anything that will penetrate to a vital organ, but whether you're comfortable with that is another matter.

I think you made the right choice questioning the 6.5 CM but personally I wouldn't use anything less than a 270 and a 30 cal is better for Elk size game.
Check out the 300WSM also.

6 .5 Creedmore is a little light. .300WM is a better bet. I knew a fella who grew up so poor that folks had to loan them air, they couldn't afford it. His brother kept them from starving at times by killing a deer with a .22WMR. You can kill an animal with anything that will penetrate to a vital organ, but whether you're comfortable with that is another matter.
I'm definitely leaning towards the 300WM and getting a brake put on by Long Rifles Inc.

Utah is a great place to shoot. I hunt elk in Utah and have for 4+ years, my brother hunts elk in Utah as well for 30+ years. The biggest challenge is deciding where to hunt and getting a tag for that area. Open tags (limited number) are available for some areas. I'll leave it at that. In general, the better odds are in the more remote less accessible areas.

I think you made the right choice questioning the 6.5 CM but personally I wouldn't use anything less than a 270 and a 30 cal is better for Elk size game.
Check out the 300WSM also.
What length of barrel would ya recommend? I'm thinking 26" should be good to go.

Utah is a great place to shoot. I hunt elk in Utah and have for 4+ years, my brother hunts elk in Utah as well for 30+ years. The biggest challenge is deciding where to hunt and getting a tag for that area. Open tags (limited number) are available for some areas. I'll leave it at that. In general, the better odds are in the more remote less accessible areas.
I'm not afraid to put in the miles.. Haha.. I do need to get back in better shape. Right now I'm 6' and 240lbs.. I wanna get down to 220lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.