My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

I see no up side to most sxs comparisons because there is not real a easy way to do apples to apples as far as putting each bullet into it's best position to function. If you just load bullets into the same gun across the board there will be stuff that won't be in it's optimal zone.

In my 28 Nosler I use a two bullet solution, 0-800 177 HH and from there out the 195 Berger, this gave me optimal on game performance in the full range spectrum I wanted to be capable of! If I shot both those bullets sxs I could make both look like rock stars or turds!!

Last edited:
Well, maybe you could hire Aaron:

Except that wouldn't solve the unbiased qualification.
Is Mr Peterson in the bullet testing business now Or Gunsmithing ?

Thanks. Although, I truly like to believe I approach the subject unbiased and with an open mind too. I'd love to do the testing, whether for myself, or others. Financing it, as well as having the time, is the main issue. Gel, bullets, reloading components, etc are all expensive and done scarce. With sufficient funding though, I could make the time.

I love the ideas flowing out here today though, and I'm all about it. It would be very beneficial to the hunting community. Any kind of testing, field results, etc are invaluable and can definitely help us with future success. That's been my mission and passion.
I've used plenty of monos and have mentioned that. So far, I've not lost an animal using them either. I still have taken into consideration all my results and compared the results and unless I'm mostly shooting close range and truly need tons of penetration that a properly selected and well-constructed bullet would provide, I still prefer the lead core option. That doesn't mean I think less of anyone using monos or they they do t work or that I have a bias. I have a preference, which is different. I do keep an open mind and I have not sworn off monos and am more than willing to keep testing them and giving them a fair test and post those results. I could even change my mind and preference. I've done it many times already.

I was once big on the tougher constructed lead core bullets, then tried monos and decided I preferred those. I then started trying the more frangible bullets and really worked on getting the most out of them and figuring out how to. It taught me a lot about bullets in general abd even about the tougher lead cores and monos.

I'm not biased and my preference could absolutely still change.
Lots of folks think you are biased, me included

1658439766400.png

I've been told that if I do sxs comparison that that would be kin to bad mouthing another bullet to make mine look better. I have plans to do a sxs comparison with a lead core of great reputation. Not sure I should do it.
Been there, done that, and continue to do that. I just decided to stop posting any of the results unless specifically asked to. You might remember how that worked out for me, and I don't even have a financial incentive to sway results. I doubt your results would be seen as unbiased, regardless of your testing protocol.

Test everything just out of professional curiosity, then keep your results in house to learn from. Besides, I've been told that ballistic gel doesn't provide any usable or relevant data.

Lots of folks think you are biased, me included
And that's why I stopped. It appears now I'm just being attacked and even my business has been drug into it, which I not once named before this. How unfortunate.

It can't be a matter of difference of opinion. It has to be bias. It seems clear at this point nothing I'd say or offer at least here would be worthwhile. For all I know, it's a trap. I'm done. I thought it was beyond ridiculous before but it's now reached a new level.

I wonder what @Len Backus thinks of all this. I for one have no desire to continue with it.

I get that my intentions are in question and that I appear to have a bias or even an agenda. All I can say is that it's not true at all and the only way I know how to separate myself from it is to simply stop replying to it. If there's a better way, I'm all ears. Bias can be a two way street too. You could make the argument many are biased against me and others as well, or against lead core bullets, and the list could go on.

Obviously I should have went with my gut and not made this post lol.

I'm truly and sincerely sorry for those I may have offended and if I came off as conceded. I believe in myself though and as such was only trying to stick up for my beliefs. I do not wish to dig myself into a deeper hole than I'm apparently in.

Good luck to you all out there, with however you go about it.

Last edited:
And that's why I stopped. It appears now I'm just being attacked and even my business has been drug into it, which I not once named before this. How unfortunate.

It can't be a matter of difference of opinion. It has to be bias. It seems clear at this point nothing I'd say or offer at least here would be worthwhile. For all I know, it's a trap. I'm done. I thought it was beyond ridiculous before but it's now reached a new level.

I wonder what @Len Backus thinks of all this. I for one have no desire to continue with it.

I get that my intentions are in question and that I appear to have a bias or even an agenda. All I can say is that it's not true at all and the only way I know how to separate myself from it is to simply stop replying to it. If there's a better way, I'm all ears.

I'm truly and sincerely sorry for those I may have offended and if I came off as conceded. I believe in myself though and as such was only trying to stick up for my beliefs. I do not wish to dig myself into a deeper hole than I'm apparently in.

No offense @Petey308. No intention on my side to start a fight. If you can be transparent with what you're posting, and able to learn from other's experiences, it'll be ok. We all learn from mistakes, and mistakes were made on all sides. Let's lay the swords down and focus on what we have in common. I shared personal perspectives with you privately and do not plan to air them here.

I get that my intentions are in question and that I appear to have a bias or even an agenda. All I can say is that it's not true at all and the only way I know how to separate myself from it is to simply stop replying to it. If there's a better way, I'm all ears.

That's too bad Petey308. Seems more like posts against you were sarcastic and I dare say libel. Well they are out there for everyone to see.

That would be a conflict of interest, However to have a video of your own bullets at whatever minimum speed would be useful. I would say the same for Barnes as I have some 190 gr LRX in 308. I also have some 181 hh in 308.
I don't believe it would be a "conflict of interest". Manufacturers from trucks to toilet paper have been comparing their products against their competition as long as there has been market competition. Would it be unbiased? Only the tester would know. Which means if it was done by an unbiased 3rd party it would probably hold more weight with the people you are trying to convince that your product is better.

Gday asd9055
You are correct! But testing done by manufacturers can be "fixed"
And most bullet will perform well when shot in optimum conditions. I want to see what happens when not so perfect hunters use them. I am not a perfect hunter, I want to see what happens in different scenarios
Im definitely the not so perfect in so many ways & extremely test all brands for which I form my opinion
Trying not to make this a hammer post & will reply in other posts to clear my mind but this is a hammer post by me sorry guys & look away if you don't like

Here's my position after extensive testing in real life conditions over a wide variety of animals & shot angles & a few calibers
Hammers are in a league of there own
Tests done to many to mention . total numbers well over my usual minimum 1000 ( if the brand shows promise after 100 tests )

Do I suger coat it no as Steve well knows
Others won't know the full extent of my testing which is cool & im in a lucky position to have a pretty endless supply of animals

Do I get anything in return
Hell yeah it's called satisfaction of knowing a animal won't suffer & people meat in the freezer
I purchase nearly all my own ammo & steve now supplies me with bulk packets in some calibers
I have received some .510 pills off Steve free as he has no rifle to shoot them ( they are about to go into buffalo & like ) but will change once he gets his & I offered to pay ( got ****ed @ him for not taking money)

Here's one of my last sample pack from Steve & I bought a few different offerings home from the states in July
Got home 14 th & shot over 500 animals since then
Just over 200 with hammers others a mix of cup & core to solid ( in nature not a true solid ) of various brands

This is my position all will kill it's when muppets like me get behind the trigger that hammers excel over the widest possible impact velocity ranges (over nearly 3k in some chamberings ) , angles & resistances that no other pill I've used comes close & I've used a lot of brands & types

Lastly some of the pills I use from hammer are prototypes & they won't make it to market for good reason as Steve won't accept average or just right preformance & either will I
Worst I've had is a 600 yard run from a pill you won't see on his website for a 308 for good reason & no lost animals which is pretty amazing considering the sheer numbers my shooting ability & previous history of other brands

Majority of brands are pretty good though

Lastly on hammers dare I say 🤔no I won't make your own mind up

Cheers

Attachments

• 13AA16EA-3033-45F6-8938-9DE37F536275.jpeg
    13AA16EA-3033-45F6-8938-9DE37F536275.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Gday
Siting back watching this thread with the utmost interest & I've heard so many saying bias on ea side of the fence & a few ea way

Some have subtle words but until the picture becomes clear we may struggle a little
Put me where anyone wants that's fine

cheers

Recent Posts