My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

In fairness many bullet/ ammunition manufacturers were hunters prior to getting into the business.
You are absolutely right. They were lookng for something better and built their own. It is still the case today with many of the newcomers on the market. But I am a cynic! I am honest about it.

Lots of manufacturers do it. As in promoting their own tests and customer reviews. Pretty standard in the industry. They have some instructive value but should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't hire anyone. Like you, I pay attention to other trustworthy and competent sportsmen along with my own observations and experiences. Real world results trump theories every time.
Well said!

As far as videos there are a ton of them on youtube. From gel tests to live animals.

Amen to that. I love talking to the Berger guys.
I've been on both ends of the phone and I haven't had a bad experience calling CS reps from any of the firearms manufacturers or distributors. I think it's a standard in the industry. Plus since I've received calls I treat them with respect since I appreciate being treated with respect.

I've been told that if I do sxs comparison that that would be kin to bad mouthing another bullet to make mine look better. I have plans to do a sxs comparison with a lead core of great reputation. Not sure I should do it.

In my view, Steve, there is a way to do this, but great care should be taken to keep the identity of the competing bullet undisclosed.

Best if a third party performs the test, IMO, but only if they take a transparent and unbiased approach.

Personally I like seeing (or seeing photos of) actual wound tracts, or perforated lungs at the very least. Known bullet, known impact velocity. Real world results (not gel).

Last edited:
Well, maybe you could hire Aaron:

Except that wouldn't solve the unbiased qualification.
Thanks. Although, I truly like to believe I approach the subject unbiased and with an open mind too. I'd love to do the testing, whether for myself, or others. Financing it, as well as having the time, is the main issue. Gel, bullets, reloading components, etc are all expensive and done scarce. With sufficient funding though, I could make the time.

I love the ideas flowing out here today though, and I'm all about it. It would be very beneficial to the hunting community. Any kind of testing, field results, etc are invaluable and can definitely help us with future success. That's been my mission and passion.
I've used plenty of monos and have mentioned that. So far, I've not lost an animal using them either. I still have taken into consideration all my results and compared the results and unless I'm mostly shooting close range and truly need tons of penetration that a properly selected and well-constructed bullet would provide, I still prefer the lead core option. That doesn't mean I think less of anyone using monos or they they do t work or that I have a bias. I have a preference, which is different. I do keep an open mind and I have not sworn off monos and am more than willing to keep testing them and giving them a fair test and post those results. I could even change my mind and preference. I've done it many times already.

I was once big on the tougher constructed lead core bullets, then tried monos and decided I preferred those. I then started trying the more frangible bullets and really worked on getting the most out of them and figuring out how to. It taught me a lot about bullets in general abd even about the tougher lead cores and monos.

I'm not biased and my preference could absolutely still change.

Last edited:
I have seen some but I have not seen any for cutting edge or hammers at the minimum speeds. If you know them I would like to see them.
I watched one with Simple Minded Fella where he was around 1700 fps. I couldn't hear the actual velocity well. Just search Cutting Edge and low velocity. I'm sure it will work with any manufacturer.
1658425602312.png

Thanks. I truly like to believe I approach the subject unbiased and with an open mind too. I'd love to do the testing, whether for myself, or others. Financing it, as well as having the time, is the main issue. Gel, bullets, reloading components, etc are all expensive and done scarce. With sufficient funding though, I could make the time.

I love the ideas flowing out here today though, and I'm all about it. It would be very beneficial to the hunting community. Any kind of testing, field results, etc are invaluable and can definitely help us with future success. That's been my mission and passion.
I'm familiar in how our met-lab would fixture and disect/section parts for metalography studies.
What is your process to fixture these for dissecting and study?
The reason for asking is others may have an interest in doing this.