My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

I get it if something is posted that is derogatory, profane or incites people. Just kind of surprised that a word that has been used here many times was getting autocorrected somehow.

But, I like it here and am happy to play by the rules when I know what they are.
I noticed a few months back that it started getting censored. Apparently a decision was made lol.

@Petey308 have yet tested the cutting edge lazer line?
Unfortunately, not yet, but they’re on my list. As just a third party individual, it’s a challenge to finance such testing, plus find the time. It’s a very slow process lol.

I’d love to be able to quit my day job and do this full time though. It would be a dream come true lol.

Unfortunately, not yet, but they’re on my list. As just a third party individual, it’s a challenge to finance such testing, plus find the time. It’s a very slow process lol.

I’d love to be able to quit my day job and do this full time though. It would be a dream come true lol.
Yep, I know what you mean. You already know I have my school stuff on top of my full-time job.

Stay on course, Brother, and holler if I can be of any help.

That’s the only reason I buy a power ball ticket every now and then. It’s fun to just think about all things I could get done.

I've been a casual reader here. Maybe I posted before and forgot. Didn't look. From my perspective, the sword cuts both ways, no doubt. It's hard for us to see in ourselves what we think we see in others. I like how you guys are coming together here in the last couple posts. We are all better than we sound on here sometimes. ;) We would do well to heed the words of the wise man in Prov 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

I don't like to get on bandwagons because you're committed to the wagon even if it runs into the ditch. For me, I like the principle of the monos but use whatever the rifle eats the best. The 7-LRM really likes the Berger Hybrids so that's what she gets. The 7 Allen Mag took to the 150 Badlands (after a good bit of work), so that's what she gets. The 6.5 Sherman Max likes the 123 Hammers and runs them nice and speedy. All good medicine.

I am not out to prove or disprove any projectile. Had good terminal results with ELD-M's and Berger's, but also with the monos. The one thing that monos have going with me is speed capabilities and penetration. With the ideal broadside behind-the-shoulder impact and at longer ranges the ELD-M and Berger type usually perform very well.

Here's a real-world case in point from this past season. My son was using the 7-LRM with the 180-Hybrids and had to take a stern to stem shot on a wounded SMALL deer. Impact was in the driver's side ham. Penetration didn't reach the heart/lung area. Took another shot later to sink it.

A week later I took a LARGE deer from the same angle with the 6.5 Sherman Max and the 123 Hammer. Same range at 200 yds. Impact center of rear ham. Full penetration. Exit out near the shoulder of opposite side. Much bigger-bodied deer. One and done.

This is personal experience. I'm still learning but am so far impressed by the performance of the 123 & 124 Hammers we've used. They seem to punch pretty far above their weight class.

As to being in a class of their own...it depends on the parameters. If defined too broadly, then no. But in all fairness, from what I've seen, they do have terminal advantages over the other monos I've used - Barnes and Badlands. So, in my humble opinion and small understanding, I get the claim. There is a difference. The claim can be fought over all day, and each be right if assuming different parameters. This is what gets us bunched up too often. In real life we probably aren't so far apart. :)

Now other factors such as BC disadvantages with some monos come into play when getting way out there. That's why I really wanted the Badlands to work. I like them but have mixed feelings based on personal results. Still not sure what to think. The Hammers held together better at hyper-velocity, as in doing what they were designed to do. While I love BC, from what I've found, the increased velocity potential with the Hammer does give it some wiggle room on the BC depending on the cartridge and projo of choice. They are usually very accurate for me and consistent. That I like. As are the Badlands.

As to the petal design, my personal experience seems to indicate that with the larger peeled off petals that break off quickly and leave a flat nosed shank, I typically get straighter penetration, faster, and deeper. A peel-back mono or C&C mushroom would seem to create a larger wound channel, but what it overlooks is the fact that the flat-faced shank maintains much higher velocity over the full path of tissue-displacing penetration. When you scale that factor, you get a picture of a longer and effective (sometimes dramatic) trauma path. Also, at high velocities with the monos designed to petal/star out, some petals will break off while others do not. This immediately redirects the bullet, and that redirection can be quite dramatic.

(I got 14" penetration in gel with the 139 Scenar at 2800 fps and around 36" with the 150 Badlands at 3650 fps. The Badlands shredded its petals (small bits) quickly at that speed and acted more like the Hammers. The wound channel vs full travel was quite a bit longer with the mono in proportion to the Scenar)

Just personal observations from a nonprofessional. Take it or leave it. I'm still in the school of life.

May your Lord's Day be blessed tomorrow.
Wisdom beyond your years northkill.

Here is a pic of the 30 cal 199g Hammer Hunter impacted at 200y from a 300 rum with a muzzle velocity of 3400 fps. When we purchased these 10% gel blocks from Clear Ballistics they said that we would not be able to penetrate both blocks with anything. These are the biggest blocks that Clear Ballistics makes. They are 22" long. We set them up end to end and passed through both blocks. Notice the permanent wound channel all the way though both blocks, ending 1" before exiting the last block. The 1st block landed 5' away from the table that we had them set up on. We now tie down the blocks since picking dirt out of the gel sucks. When I called Clear Ballistics to tell them that we passed through both blocks they wanted a pic. The comment from their tech was "That is a very impressive wound channel.". They sent us a couple more blocks to add to the length.

This bullet certainly did not tumble. It most certainly made a permanent wound channel that would get to vitals on even a terrible angle. It did not delay in opening and it created a very large wound channel for the 1st 22" of penetration.

It is not snide or arrogant when I say Hammers are in a class of their own. It is said with confidence. Can someone else make a bullet that can do this? Yes. I just don't know of one.

Attachments

• 199g gel test.jpg
    199g gel test.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 93
What I really want to see is how the bullets behave at the minimum speed, approximately 1800fps. At 200yd all solid coppers will do well as will lead bullets. I think a head to head comparison like ultimate reloader did with the eld-m and eld-x bullets would be useful. Say Barns vs cutting edge vs hammers.

What I really want to see is how the bullets behave at the minimum speed, approximately 1800fps. At 200yd all solid coppers will do well as will lead bullets. I think a head to head comparison like ultimate reloader did with the eld-m and eld-x bullets would be useful. Say Barns vs cutting edge vs hammers.
and I would like the comparison to include the barnes LRX bullets that are supposed to expand at velocities below 1500 FPS. I have taken two elk with these at 420 yds and 100 yds and the performance was a wound channel of 4 to 6 inches from start to finish. The exit hole was a 4 leaf petal.