My favorite caliber

What’s your favorite caliber?

• .30 caliber

Votes: 116 70.7%
  • .27 caliber

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters
Choosing a caliber for an all around hunting rifle can be daunting for a new or even experienced hunter. After owning several .30 caliber magnums and not liking the weight of these guns, I finally settled on the .270 wsm. My daughter and I both have them and I have found that this caliber has all the qualities i could want in a deer and elk killer. My kid loves hers

I am also a big fan of the 270 wsm. I tried to get behind the 7mms (own and have owned several) and the 30's, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I am turning into more an more of a fan of the 6.5's. I have a 260 and my son has a 6.5 creedmoor. Low recoil, high BC bullets with awesome sectional densities is fun stuff.

My favorite caliber for most of my life has been .30 however now that the bullet makers are making super higher premium controlled expansion bullets in the 6.5 and 7mm calibers they certainly make a viable alternative that can range equal to if not better and with less recoil.

I'm not a long range shooter, just a deer hunter from upstate New York. For a lot of years it was an old CZ BRNO .270 sample then Remington brought out the Model 7MS and I had to have one in .257 Roberts and it's accounted for it's share of Whitetails as did the BRNO. About 4 years ago a distributor that I called on gave me a Legendary Arms Works Professional Model in 6.5 Creedmoor at his cost so that's been getting most of the work lately.

With the many options, I absolutely like your 270WSM choice. I cooked up a 130gn Hornady GMX load that put its' first 3 rounds in one hole at the range and it took 2 lope this year. Short action, incredible accuracy, plenty of bullet choices and brass selection.

Some new samples just arrived from HSM to try out. Two boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor 140 Berger 140 gr VLD hunting loads. You might know rifle season ended last Sunday. Guess it will be paper.

The .270 WSM is a "laser" with, the right Bullet/ load and Kills,.. very well !
A .300 Mag/ .338 Mag,.. is NOT necessary,.. to kill Elk,.. my Dad did it with, a .30-06, 50 years ago, one shot w/ a 150 grain Nosler Partion ( pass thru and, dead Elk @ 200 ). My son and I killed 2 Elk this year, one with a 7mm-08 ( 150 ELD-X ) one with, a .270 WSM, using the 140 AccuBond,.. BOTH dead, ONE,.. SHOT each! But the "what Caliber wars", go on and on and on,.. LOL !! Have I ever mentioned that,.. I HATE,.. RECOIL !

I like them to kill at one end and maim at the other. Just had the opportunity to shoot a 570 NE the other day. What a hoot. Now I'm telling my wife we really need a elephant gun at our house.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-12_15-14-53.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-12_15-14-53.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 201
People always say such things but Idk how you could possibly have an accurate account of that. If anything I'd imagine 30-06 has a head start since it was around first.

Anyway, I think the everything was regarding bull moose and brown bears and such.
You are probably right in that but interestingly enough, I've heard it said many times. My understanding of early centerfire weapons regarding brown bears was the 250/3000 savage but I have also been told that guys would load 30/06's to the max, shove a bullet in and shoot them through the model 98's until they ruptured the stocks. Then find another stock and do it all again

.300wm All I hear is lose the belt, if I lose the belt then all that is left is justin beber's skiny jeans, and I'am not whearing those.

I think that would make it a 300WSM! Another good, lightweight 30 cal choice.

I like them to kill at one end and maim at the other. Just had the opportunity to shoot a 570 NE the other day. What a hoot. Now I'm telling my wife we really need a elephant gun at our house.

A 500NE or a 577? Both are a hoot but a 577 is super fun...I've owned 2..and do I mean fun...in small doses

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.