Favorite gun / caliber for getting by.

myshootinstinks

The 22lr is my absolute favorite. Not cool, not adequate for many things, my favorite. Next to that would be the 223 class of cartridges. I believe however, that I can live off the land with a common 22.

If talking small or just one, .22 or better yet, .22mag. If any size, .308 hands down - ammo anywhere on the planet and can kill anything on the planet. I know before some of you chime in, remember a lot of elephants and even the cute white bears have been killed with a .22 and if a 22 can do it, a .308 will just do it easier.

Yep, pretty difficult to beat the little 22LR! As a hand loader and bullet caster it opens the door for much more "do it all" cartridges. I killed a lot of small game and varmints with a .308 Win. using cast bullets! If one can't hand load…..very difficult to beat the 22 LR. memtb

I'll take the 556 in an SBR AR platform to get me by in the coming zombie epocylipse 😎
It's murder on small game though :).

Here in Canada, AR's have recently been prohibited so you can't take them out of your house, though they were restricted before so you could only use them at a range. I scavenged my BCM 12.5" MCMR parts and put it onto a straightpull receiver called a Maple Ridge Renegade. I have a 556 and a Grendel upper for it so it's become my truck gun. As it's more than 26" overall length it's non restricted so I can take it hunting etc. Not sure if my boys will take their first deer with it, my Tikka compact 243, or my Sig Cross 6.5 CM when the time comes.

A short SBR is a great option.