Most accurate non custom

Non- "custom" or unaltered? I normally pillar bed a bolt gun or otherwise tweak things on a rifle to contribute toward accuracy.
Having said that I've had a couple m70s made shortly after ww2, both 270 win that would shoot 1/2 moa. I had a Ruger No 1 in 223 and a Browning b78 in 22-250 that would do the same. Numerous 700 Remys, particularly those made in the '70s- early '80s that were tack drivers. The little Sako Rhiimaki or Vixen in 222-223 have always shot very well. All of the above are old school, walnut stocked rifles.

Looking for first hand experiences. Don't have the funds for true custom but I've seen too many chime in on other threads about their non custom guns shooting amazing. Some of the brands I've seen thrown around are Sauer,Seekins,Fierce,even Tikka etc . My budget is in the 2k range without glass. I'm looking for a 7 mag or 300 mag. Anyway would love your advice based on experience.
Thanks!
Bergara was my first foray into longer range accurate rifles. Out of the box my first 3 shots were sub MOA. My daughter who doesn't shoot put her first 3 shots in .75" group. It's the B14 BMP rifle. Can't recall anyone who hasn't shot a small group on their first attempts with the gun.

The rifle you see in the photo is a Remington 721 in 264WM and was very accurate with the factory barrel. Back then in the late 60's I shot ground hogs at 300+ yards with 100gr HP no problem.

Factory Bergara 300 PRC Wilderness HMR bug holes at 100 (.130) consistently. Compatible with Remington parts, shoots 1,800 yards with 245 Bergers with N570. Custom Timney Trigger, Carbon Stock. Love it.

300 & 7 PRC are absolutely outstanding platforms no doubt, but 300wm and 7rem mag have been around a long time for a good reason. They perform outstanding also even with the belted case. You can go wrong either way but you will find ammo on the shelf everywhere if you don't reload for the win mag and rem mag, PRC ammo is available but not as prevalent. Reloading was a lot more practical before the current trend of price gouging for supplies so all these factors need to be taken into consideration when purchasing your go to hunting platform.
Words of wisdom there fellow boat guy....If you dont reload 7mag and 300wm shells are available everywhere...In Sportsmans yesterday...many choices for both and price is reasonable...and that is huge...

As has been said all of the factory options have better machining and better tolerances. So pick which one feels best in your hands.

One thing to consider: the newer cartridge offerings, Hornady PRC line for example, have created those cartridges with efficiency and inherent accuracy in mind and then developed the chamber around that cartridge design; much like guys do when building custom rifles - design it to shoot what you want to shoot out of it. Versus the traditional offerings that have chamber specs and hundreds of ammo options to choose from to find the one the rifle likes. In my experience these newer offerings in their newer factory rifles all shoot what 20 years ago would have been considered "custom accuracy".

Pick a chambering/cartridge that meets your needs and find the rifle that feels the best. For me that has been Seekins. Love the stock geometry; it is similar to what used to only be available in custom offerings.

I have four belted mags, two 300WM, one 264WM, and one 7RM and luv them all. But, for long range mountain ridge hunting and bags of foot pounds leftover I'll take my 300PRC everytime. You have to shoot one to know.

1682100766165.jpeg
1682100766165.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Sako S20 in 6.5 PRC- shoots as good as the shooter can all the way down to 1 hole groups (which I can rarely achieve). It's very light which is a big plus in my book for hunting. I have a Bergara HMR in 300 PRC that shoots .25 MOA with factory ELD-M 225 & 1 hole with hand loaded 230 A-Tips (again on the rare and fleeting occasion that I am shooting that good). A friend just bought the same Bergara and he is shooting ragged holes with ELD-M 225. But to me the HMR is fairly heavy for hunting (I usually stalk). I've heard of a lot of issues with the US made Bergaras but the Spanish built ones seem to currently have better quality control. The HMR in 308 seems to be ammo finicky. My Tikka T3X in 223 shoots playing cards on edge @ 200 yards. I have customs as well. As has been said most current gen factory rifles of today will get MOA or better (excluding quality control issues, which is always a crap shoot with an off the shelf item). I would go with the modern PRC cartridges as they are designed with inherent precision, and then the chambers were designed around the cartridges (as previously mentioned by other posters). The 300 PRC will take anything in North America and a 230gr 300 PRC @ ~2830 fps MV will have over 2000 ft# @ 1000 yards.

Looking for first hand experiences. Don't have the funds for true custom but I've seen too many chime in on other threads about their non custom guns shooting amazing. Some of the brands I've seen thrown around are Sauer,Seekins,Fierce,even Tikka etc . My budget is in the 2k range without glass. I'm looking for a 7 mag or 300 mag. Anyway would love your advice based on experience.
Thanks!
I would recommend a Tikka t3 varmint.
Got 4 of them in 6,5x55, 9,3x62, 338 win mag and, 300 win mag all of them shoots bugholes at100meters and holds it together as far as you can expext them to do. Been shoiting 1100meter withe 6.5x55 on steel.

I'm shocked no one has recommended a Springield Waypoint! They are excellent rifles. Only draw back is limited cartridge offerings.

Ridgelines can be great, but you can also get. Lemon.

View attachment 457924
Lemons are available from ALL manufacturers. Design the rifle YOU want. Try to find it among what is available at your price point.

Recent Posts