Most "Inherently Accurate" Cartridges

Mike Liane

Most \"Inherently Accurate\" Cartridges

I'm curious to learn opinions from you experienced long range guys as to what you consider the "most inherently" accurate calibers/cartridges.
I'm looking for something new. Here's my criterion:
-Under 1/2" MOA
-Effective to 1000 yards (but mostly under 800)
-must handle very windy conditions
-Terminal energy not big issue (mostly prairie dogs/coyotes)
-Good barrel life, easy of developing loads

I've considered a 300UM and would love to play around with one, but for my needs it seems like a bit of overkill. Please share your thoughts. I'm interested in your opinions.

Re: Most \"Inherently Accurate\" Cartridges

300 WSM, norma brass, F210, russian or RWS primers

either H4350 or VV165 and Norma MRP if you can find it.

Berger 190s

Would try some Sierra 168/175 SMKs that have been sorted for base to ogive and weight.

26-28" Broughton 5C rifling barrel in 11 twist. .340 Neck reamer, tighter than SAAMMI but no neck turn. Custom Gunsmithing (John Myer) one of the top recommended gunsmiths on www.6mmbr.com website has the reamer and is a proven master 1000 Yard gunsmith and shooter.

Easy to load and will more than meet any accuracy expectations.

Barrel life should exceed 2000 rds, my gun had 2300 through it and took 9th at 1k BR Nationals.

BH

6.5/284 with 142 Sierra's This is an easy kickin - kick butt round which is easy to get out there with and doesn't feel the wind so much. I've taken Pdogs to 1249 yards and it's got lots more steam than that! Go with at least 28 inches of barrel and if that sounds like too much cartridge go with a 6 Rem and the fast twist 107 Sierra bullet. You don't need a big bore for dogs, it is that simple. You do need to beat the wind and a fast twist heavy for caliber bullet works best.

My first vote based on your description would be the 6.5x284, excellent cartridge. My second vote goes for the good old trusty .308 Winch.

6,5-284, or an improved 260 rem or 6,5 x 55. if more power, 7 wsm although barrel life will be shorter.

I would have to say the 338 Edge. If you search that caliber on this site you will find the details.

Good Luck,
Oneshot

Most rounds recomended will do all of what you want except for your desire for barrel life. The 6.5x284 will eat barrels alive. Most cartridges in the 6mm to 6.5 range will not give you good life. The 308 will do all you wish for including have a long barrel life. If you use a bullet along the lines of the 155 Scenar, you can drive them about 3000 FPS from a 26" tube with an honest BC of .500+. This will compete well with the 6.5 x 284 in regards the wind and you will see awesome accuracy with VERY long barrel life.

Good luck!

280 Ackley would be a really good one with High bc 7mm bullets and good velocity, good barrel life from what I have been told. Another one would be a 284, 7mm Mag, or 7mm WSM.

Mike, you are dealing with the problem we all think about. You will need to consider some compromises.

Accuracy is more a function of bullet and barrel then case. The case simply provides the horsepower. The chamber and how it was cut determines whether that horsepower can be utilised well. ALL cartridges can be equally accurate by balancing bullet, load and barrel.

Distance and accuracy at distance is something just about any modern match quality bullet can achieve. The issue is wind at that distance and your ability or desire to dope.

The more you rely on equipment, the higher the BC and velocity must be. It is simply much easier hitting a milk jug in a breeze with a 6.5-284 then a 45-70 BP.

So if you shoot in wind more often then not, I would focus on being able to hit the target over barrel life. They are mutually exclusive.

The best bullets I have played with come in 6.5 and 7mm at this time. It is no issue to get them to 3000fps. The reduced wind drift is almost 1/3 of other larger and smaller cals. Recoil is up there and most barrels will start to loose their gilt accuracy after 2000rds.

The 22 and 6mm are wonderful and new bullets push their development. You can take a heavy 6 or 22 cal and push then fast enough to equal the wind drift of the 6.5 and 7mm, but throat life drops dramatically. If you don't mind a bit more wind drift, these two cals would be ideal.

The 30 and 338's are just too big. They can work but the cost and recoil makes a day shooting PD a very tiresome event.

I have not mentioned the 25 or 270 simply because appropriate bullets are not common place. That will change in time and then so will my recommendations.

Personally, I would build a long barrel 6.5-284, -06, or -WSM. Second choice would be a fast 7mm like the 280AI, 7
WSM, and 7RM. For lower throat life but better wind performance, build a 6.5 or 7STW and get those high BC bullets to 3300fps.

If you decide on a 6mm, then any cartridge/barrel combo that can get the 105/107/115gr bullet 3000fps and faster will impress. however, don't expect any longer barrel life then the 6.5 or 7. Recoil will be much lower though.

Jerry

Jerry Teo,
I'm always doing my best to agree with folks because of my friendly nature, but to say I agree when I don't would make me a hypocrite. Since I don't want to be that please help me understand:

[ QUOTE ]
ALL cartridges can be equally accurate by balancing bullet, load and barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true why only certain cartridges are more predominantly accurate winning 1000 yards matches? Example, it is my understanding that the 308 hands down will take the 30-06 at 1000 yards. The 30-06 has gotten many victories but still historically the 308 whips it. The list could go on and on but I'm sure you know what I mean. Please remember I'm not trying to be disrespectful jus want to understand the statement you made. I believe that some cartridges are inherently more Accurate than others regardless of how good the gun smith is, or bullet barrel load combination; though I have heard your statement before from other folks I do not understand it. If you can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Javier Moncada.

Jerry -- one of the best BR shooters in the country tried to make a 30-30 shoot with all the best benchrest components, and guess what -- couldnt touch what is currently used no matter what he did.

I personally believe there is a little something to inherent accuracy...that is why the 6PPC will be around for a LONG time.

THough the 30BR is nipping at its heels...

YMMV,
JB

I have to second what eaglet stated about the differance between the 30-06 and 308 at the 1000 yard line and the 600 line for that matter.

On the other hand though, there is alot of truth to what Jerry said about good bullets and a good barrel. Accuracy in differant cartridges might not be equall with perfect bullets and a perfect barrel (if there is such a thing) but alot of frustration can be cut out of the picture by using the best of these 2 items.

If you want more horse power than a 308 the 280 AI would be a very good alternative. The accuracy of the 308, wind drift and trajectory of a 7 mag and you would still get a fair amount of barrel life 2000-2500 rounds before accuracy was lost.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.