Lightweight folding sa stock?

@Stokesrjsr

That is how I think it's gonna work for me and how I plan to use it.

--------------------------------

I got a PM asking about info on the bedding kit and recoil pad I mentioned reading about. Figured I would post the info if anyone else is interested.

A few things I have found that offer some upgrades for areas I see room to improve.

First is recoil lug bedding as other than the Tikka the lug is unsupported.

Solider Mountain Arms made a bedding kit piece that allows support for bedding in the lug. I know others have done so even bedding the tang as well with DIY innovation This looks to be a nice clean kit with good reviews on the forums.

MDT HNT26 Recoil Lug Bedding Kit

The other area which I think was a compromise to make that 26oz weight is the recoil pad is less than stellar by all accounts. Especially if your use to limbsavers etc.

Here there are a few choices from a couple limb savers that can be ground to fit. Just drill one new hole in the pad. Then a couple specifically made for HNT26 options.

There is the limbsaver grind to fit model 10540 choose medium or large to have plenty of meat to grind to fit. You need to drill one new hole in pad.

I think the better choice is the Limbsaver Airtech pad model 10812. You will need to drill 2 new holes in the pad but that's easy even with a hand drill.

The best option though, IMO, is by a company Old Balls Inc. The owner is the one that actually invented the crye pod and sold the rights to MDT according to the poster on rokslide. There OBI Cush Pad is designed to fit MDT chassis including the HNT26.

OBI CUSH PAD

There are a couple other options but I felt they were less than ideal. You can find them in the thread link at the bottom.

My plan as I like a bit more weight in the buttstock is to get the vertical adj pad mount which is way heavier then it needs to be. But plan to cross drill it out and a bit of selective grinding which should be able to take a few ounces out of it. It takes the same recoil pad dimension so I will then mount the OBI Cush Pad to it. Should still have my complete rifle in ready to hunt setup under 9lbs which is my sweet spot.

I think these upgrades takes an already very good hunting chassis up a notch. Allows for adj to the individuals preferences. If I have an option to bed the action I am gonna do it.

Here is the thread for ref that has all the variois recoil pad info with mounted pics

MDT Replacement Butt Pads

Another option to consider depending on focus of weight/shootability is just running a different buttstock. I am biased as I now have 6 of the XLR element chassis on different rifles. I agree the MDT HNT26 is sexier and I have bought one before and liked it. The XLR is just ultimately configurable. The weight difference when stripped down goes to the HNT26, but let's say you want to add a thumb rest or run a different buttstock when doing load development vs in the field. The Element is cheaper to get into, more configurable and I personally believe more robust but that is arguable. The picture I added is the config of my current ultralight hunting rifle. The plastic folding stock is from IMI industries and it weighs 6.4oz. The carbon buttstock from XLR (made by smoke industries) is 12oz and with the XLR folding adapter it adds 5oz. The chassis as show in in the picture Weighs 26oz. With the Christensen FFT Ti 6.5 PRC barreled action, Hawkins magazine, Talley lightweight rings and NX8 4-32 scope the rifle comes out to 7# 2oz. It's a pleasure to shoot and folds up nice. It also has a quick attach sling mount on it and one can be had for the MLOK rails up front.

By the way the new folding adapter is significantly tighter feeling than the old one. XLR did a great job with fixing all of the issues on the last batch.

Attachments

• IMG_4786.jpeg
    IMG_4786.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 47
Another option to consider depending on focus of weight/shootability is just running a different buttstock. I am biased as I now have 6 of the XLR element chassis on different rifles. I agree the MDT HNT26 is sexier and I have bought one before and liked it. The XLR is just ultimately configurable. The weight difference when stripped down goes to the HNT26, but let's say you want to add a thumb rest or run a different buttstock when doing load development vs in the field. The Element is cheaper to get into, more configurable and I personally believe more robust but that is arguable. The picture I added is the config of my current ultralight hunting rifle. The plastic folding stock is from IMI industries and it weighs 6.4oz. The carbon buttstock from XLR (made by smoke industries) is 12oz and with the XLR folding adapter it adds 5oz. The chassis as show in in the picture Weighs 26oz. With the Christensen FFT Ti 6.5 PRC barreled action, Hawkins magazine, Talley lightweight rings and NX8 4-32 scope the rifle comes out to 7# 2oz. It's a pleasure to shoot and folds up nice. It also has a quick attach sling mount on it and one can be had for the MLOK rails up front.

By the way the new folding adapter is significantly tighter feeling than the old one. XLR did a great job with fixing all of the issues on the last batch.
How long ( lop) is that imi stock? Does anyone sell a buttstock pad that will fit it?

How long ( lop) is that imi stock? Does anyone sell a buttstock pad that will fit it?
Yeah it is short. It comes out to 12" LOP. I'll most likely have a puffy jacket and it's a very specific rifle for a specific type of hunting. My plan to lengthen is exactly what you are thinking. I have a few pads i am looking at, but I will have to drill and experiment. So no direct fit but I think it can be done. I'm just currently time limited. The cheek rise isn't enough either, but not bad and on a lightweight 6.5 PRC I somewhat free recoil this rifle anyway. It helps input errors with such a lightweight rifle IMO but I am no expert.

@JordanM

I agree that XLR for hunting as well as most all the other chassis heavier (comp/tac/etc) XLR MDT MPA etc are almost infinitely configurable. The hnt26 is a specific target with moderate configurability.

Nothing wrong with choosing what works or speaks to you. Makes sense to me.
----------------------------

For me I "think" the hnt26 is offering very close to that balance of specs & function I am looking for.

Could it be improved? Without a doubt. First would be factory supplied choice of recoil pads. A light weight vert adj butt plate. CF or Alum skeletonized.

Redesign the buttstock with a porthole that will allow it to close to the right over the bolt handle.

I can not see a way to mod it to protect the scopes occular. It would lose all its lines. But a protective sling scabor that the folder base fit into that could be part of a setup that was strapped to the pack would address this . Easy to do and what I have planned

Maybe some beefing up of the forearm chassis connection interface but honestly for hunting it seems rigid and strong enough maybe a bit of vibration resistant thread locker.

Changes can not loose the orginal goals, extrene light weight and extreme temp comfort for hunting. I do like the pic of that all CF versus that was posted, yet to be released.

One thing I see when people compare weight to other CF traditional stocks is they forget to add in the DBM sling cups arca rail, adj cheek riser. Try that and hit 26 oz or 31oz w folding buttstock.

For me I think I can config it with just a bit of extra work to fit my use better than anything else presently available. No its not being frugal but it never is at this level.

I think if I can get the vertical buttpad adapter lighten up sufficiently with some milling that will have a significant positive effect on shootibility as well as broader config for different shooter builds. Raising the buttstock more inline with bore centerline should improve recoil tracking. The setup is a hunting niche.

Yeah it is short. It comes out to 12" LOP. I'll most likely have a puffy jacket and it's a very specific rifle for a specific type of hunting. My plan to lengthen is exactly what you are thinking. I have a few pads i am looking at, but I will have to drill and experiment. So no direct fit but I think it can be done. I'm just currently time limited. The cheek rise isn't enough either, but not bad and on a lightweight 6.5 PRC I somewhat free recoil this rifle anyway. It helps input errors with such a lightweight rifle IMO but I am no expert.
Does imi sell a similar folding stock that attaches to a rear pic rail rather than a buffer tube ?

I saw a thread on here a few months back where the stock on an HNT26 snapped off, it looked weak for sure.
I'd go XLR

MPA is best known for their competition chassis but they also make an "ultralite" chassis for hunting.

2.6 lbs without the folder, add 7.5 ozs for the folder.

I just picked up a used MPA ultralite chassis with folder for Rem 700 SA to try.

Stock end

Do some searching it was like 4-6 months ago on this site

Ok the glue failed, that's a super easy fix or MDT will replace it I'm sure.
Stuff happens

MPA is best known for their competition chassis but they also make an "ultralite" chassis for hunting.

2.6 lbs without the folder, add 7.5 ozs for the folder.

I just picked up a used MPA ultralite chassis with folder for Rem 700 SA to try.
I dont have a lot of experience with chassis systems, but I really do like my MPA BA Ultra Lite in a short barreled hunting rig.