Lets settle this once and for all FFP or SFP

I like and use both. Most of my hunting is at 300yds plus, and a LRHSi has worked very well….until this year. I found myself siting in dark timber overlooking a waterhole from about 35 yds. Without illumination, I could not comfortably see the crosshairs at 4.5 power. Because not all states permit illuminated reticles, the LRHSi with the battery removed left me very uncomfortable at close range.

I'm in the process of ordering another rifle, and I'm disinclined to go the FFP route again for a rifle I plan on using close and far. Just my .02.

You are not going to settle this because they have different applications and advantages. SFP still has its place, and has some advantages over FFP to some shooters. The best scope is going to be the one that best fits the bill you need it to accomplish.

You also forgot to mention Dual and Digital Focal Plane scopes.

Wish it was even that vague and logical.

The title of the thread could be more accurately named

Let's settle this once and for all 9/16 or 10mm is the best wrench.

Different tools for different reasons, only solved for very specific situations...
Well that's easy. 9/16 because Freedom and Murica'!

Hunting- SFP because you can actually see the reticle in low light (illumination washes out the target behind it) and you can easily see the reticle at minimum power for stalking or an unexpected animal that you jump.

Steel- FFP because of the retained subtension values.

To date, no argument either direction has changed my mind.

I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool SFP guy, but with illuminated reticles, I really now prefer FFP and don't lose much, if anything, with it.

For me, the consistent subtensions of FFP make using my rangefinder so much more useful. Not that SFP can't be used well with one, but for my use, FFP maximizes what my rangefinder does - especially if I hunt the from same location (and draw up a range card....).

Last edited: