Lets settle this once and for all FFP or SFP

Buzzsaw

Been awhile since this has been argued about. This is a "Hunting" forum. For hunting SFP "should" rule most rifles. For those long-range shooters, you can range, dial, shoot. I shoot allot of long-range steel and SFP does great. My hunting ranges are rarely over 300 and SFP still does great. I'm also 71 years old and I'm stuck in my old ways.

What do you all think? No fighting, either will work fine.

Not really concerned with FP. Either is fine. I want a scope that works properly and reliably, has clear bright glass, desirable mag range, weight doesn't resemble a boat anchor, illumination is a plus, don't need unnecessary parts of a reticle (tree style) inhibiting my view. If I need to adjust, I'll dial. Illumination is a plus.

I want to get on the ffp train, I honestly just can't. Nothing against it other than at low powers I have a hard time on many of them discerning the crosshairs. I dial everything anyway so I'll continue down the sfp, occasionally buying a ffp then selling them for a discount.😐🤣 Follow me for more tips on how to lose money.🤣

I have four SFP and only one FFP scopes on my hunting rifles and that one was only because that is all the scope was offered in at the time I bought it! I like the SFP way better for hunting. When i turn the FFP down to the lower magnifications I can barely even see the crosshairs anymore, just a jumble of lines in the middle of the scope. I know that is a personal thing, I am getting older and my eyesight is getting worse but you asked so that's my opinion.

I'm primarily a hunter first and shoot steel on occasion. Hunting Wyoming/Colorado/Tennessee/Louisiana/Texas my longest shots and harvests of game have all been under 400 yards. I'm 49 and I have one harvest further than that at 683 yards. All have been with SFP Scopes. That being said I just mounted my first FFP scope, NF nx8 4-32x50 F1 MOAR. Due to my wife being in/out of hospital the last few months for various surgeries I've not had a chance to shoot it yet. Our local range just installed a 1000 yard range so hoping to qualify and get to try that soon!

I'm primarily a hunter first and shoot steel on occasion. Hunting Wyoming/Colorado/Tennessee/Louisiana/Texas my longest shots and harvests of game have all been under 400 yards. I'm 49 and I have one harvest further than that at 683 yards. All have been with SFP Scopes. That being said I just mounted my first FFP scope, NF nx8 4-32x50 F1 MOAR. Due to my wife being in/out of hospital the last few months for various surgeries I've not had a chance to shoot it yet. Our local range just installed a 1000 yard range so hoping to qualify and get to try that soon!
Hope your wife is doing better.

Interesting this topic came up. I just sent Arken an email about it. Their response left me knowing they are not really hunters.

Date: November 29, 2023 at 16:24:48 CST
To:
Subject:
Re: SFP
not sure as some customers have confirmed kills at 1,000 plus yards already. Thanks

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 12:56 PM,
When are you gonna make an EP or EPL or variant in second focal plane for people who want to hunt with one.? Depending on the scope and the person's eyes you typically have to turn the power up to eight or 10 power just to start getting a good reticle picture.

I am just a hunter who likes to challenge myself with long range shooting. For hunting things I will eat only 2nd, and the main reason is I want to instantly see my reticle on the lowest scope power. If I hunted in an area where I had all the time I needed to "adjust" my scope maybe a 1st. Shot my deer this year at 500yds with an 80's VX3 6.5-20 with just a plain old reticle. For long range hunting and shooting I use both, yet all my LR practice guns have 1st.