Lets settle this once and for all FFP or SFP

Been awhile since this has been argued about. This is a "Hunting" forum. For hunting SFP "should" rule most rifles. For those long-range shooters, you can range, dial, shoot. I shoot allot of long-range steel and SFP does great. My hunting ranges are rarely over 300 and SFP still does great. I'm also 71 years old and I'm stuck in my old ways.

What do you all think? No fighting, either will work fine.
This boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. I am a long-time SFP user but now prefer FFP, esp. with illumination.

500 or less 10x42, 8x42 , 6x42 should I be playing in the tall grass.

My 300 has a ffp and it's a sittin rifle for 1000 or better. No flinging it to your shoulder should something pop out, I'll let it go, I have plenty of time and patience to get him later.

No hurry for the shot, if I can't get set up in time, so be it. But I haven't went home empty handed in many many years.

First, second, doesn't have a bearing for me.

Im FFP,have other scopes too as that all there use to be.It really depends on reticle size design they vary a lot. My March has heavy and tapered outer, really like.My nx8n is thin and small, but illuminating ,Im also mil, and I want the quick hold option.Been shooting same thing going on 14 years so drops are in my head.Im also 60 and its no problem for me

Last edited:
I have both. There are benefits and drawbacks of each. I do not like all the stuff I need to remember with my 2nd FP- if it's in 10x the hash marks are 2MOA…. I do like that the reticle stays the same size and it is way better as an all around for dark timber and open country, close and far. FFP is better for long shots but the reticle disappears in close on low power.

If you ask me the ideal reticle for FFP hunting would be one that all of the markings can be illuminated so on the lowest power it would pretty much look like a fine crosshairs but shining bright red so you could actually see it.

For me, I take FFP, the reason if your RF dies in the field, you can range your target, although have to know the formula you can do the same with SFP, however you have to remember the power must be set to whatever the manufacturer states to use, usually max power. The second reason would be the wind hold, in a hurry a nice bull is about to walk into brush, you need to hold for wind and forget to max power in a SFP you will more than likely miss or worse bad shot. Just my opinion, or the reason why I use them.

For me, I take FFP, the reason if your RF dies in the field, you can range your target, although have to know the formula you can do the same with SFP, however you have to remember the power must be set to whatever the manufacturer states to use, usually max power. The second reason would be the wind hold, in a hurry a nice bull is about to walk into brush, you need to hold for wind and forget to max power in a SFP you will more than likely miss or worse bad shot. Just my opinion, or the reason why I use them.
Kmccord is spot on!I have both and hunt with a 2ond focal plane Leupold 6.5-20 and killed my largest muley at 610 yards with it.Had to set magnification to 20 but hit where I aimed.The next year did the same at a hair over 600 yards.
But if I want to use subtensions I use my 1st focal plane scopes.

Last edited:
I prefer sfp, I have a ffp that was great on the range, but really sucked in the timber that I mostly hunt. I'll probably end up putting it on pivot mounts on a 300 savage, or a 25-06 for antelope and coyotes for open ground. Being in NW MONTANA, we get a combination of really dark thick timber, or open long shots. Like stated above, a illuminating reticle would solve the issue, but this scope doesn't have that. It's a Heters with a range finding and bullet drop reticle, made.in 1968. I like period scopes on my period guns. And yes, I also have weavers, unertel and even a mossburg. As limiting on their light gathering as they are, they are still good for their intended purpose. A K2.5 with a post reticle is great for close dark timber. I recently found a outfit that will rebuild them with modern coated glass also, but haven't sent any off to have that done yet.

If you are hunting at distances that warrant regular use at low power settings AND/OR at distances where wind holds don't come into play SFP
Is probably the better option.

For me I prefer FFP because I rarely shoot or hunt at less than 300 yards and I prefer not to have to run scopes at a fixed power for the wind hold subtensions to be accurate.