Let’s talk reloading

Do you check OAL after sizing to make sure they didn't grow beyond spec? Or is that a nonissue?

Is that specific trimmer worth using if it causes that much neck damage? Or would a Forster with standard pilots, or even a Giraud, work better and cause less damage?
The damage isn't extensive, but it's there. And my groups are plenty acceptable, so I don't worry too much about it. And ones it's fired afterwards it's pretty smooth. Which is why I don't trim every time.

No I don't check anything ever again really lol.

Shoot 100 pieces.

Grab 10 cases. Find the shortest one.

Set trimmer to trim that case .001.

Trim all cases.

Never check it again lol.

Some people might be able to shoot the difference in a .002 variance in neck length. I am not that person haha

The damage isn't extensive, but it's there. And my groups are plenty acceptable, so I don't worry too much about it. And ones it's fired afterwards it's pretty smooth. Which is why I don't trim every time.

No I don't check anything ever again really lol.

Shoot 100 pieces.

Grab 10 cases. Find the shortest one.

Set trimmer to trim that case .001.

Trim all cases.

Never check it again lol.

Some people might be able to shoot the difference in a .002 variance in neck length. I am not that person haha
I am the last person to profess to be good at tuning brass in. I've loaded a lot more pistol than rifle in my life, and the rifle I did load up until recently was small batch hunting ammo. Then I made a large batch of 5.56, didn't trim to length (never had to before) and learned just what over length brass can do to pressure. Surprised the heck out of me.

Just shot this right now. 300 NMI with 215 Berger's. First seating depth and charge weight.

100 yards. Mounted new scope. Bore sighted. Shot these 5 shots. Adjusted zero afterwards.
Went straight to 957 yards with the next 5 shots to true drop data. Holding 2 MOA of wind.

I've done this with all of my rifles with different bullets and powders enough times to know it works. Now in 10 rounds, I have a gun and load with the precision capable of killing anything well beyond 1000 yards. So instead of doing development to shrink my group .1 (which is extremely hard to even prove that you succeeded in doing), and will also have a 0% effect on whether or not I kill an animal. Now I can just get to shooting and making sure my drops are perfect and repeatable beyond 1200 yards. No cold bore shifts (which there never is). Practicing in wind and testing some better positional shooting, all of which can actually have an impact on whether or not I kill an animal.

Also shooting groups at 100 yards and doing development at 100 yards is probably the biggest waste of time I've ever personally done. Aside from getting a legit zero, group testing at longer ranges has saved me a ton of time. Normally just go straight to 600 yards for testing, if conditions are good. Or 300 yards if they're poor.
It looks like Huntnful has proved that "finding a load" is a myth, all it takes to shoot 1/2moa is toss together a new load, shoot 5 shots @ 100 to zero, then shoot another 5 shots at LR to verify drop. Ten rounds done! Everybody who tries to tune a load at 100 yards is just wasting time and components. All reloaders, all rifles, all calibers, all bullets, each and every one of you are all fooled by the whole "tuning a load" myth. His photos prove it. Multiple first loads, first times, new rifles, etc. Proven. Ten shots, done, every time! Let's just close the whole reloading forum, there's no need anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your platform! I recently started shooting with a fast chassis and the ski feet and it took a minute so it's very interesting to see your proven setup. Do you then grab the for stock to apply pressure or just use the forward pressure against the silicone

It looks like Huntnful has proved that "finding a load" is a myth, all it takes to shoot 1/2moa is toss together a new load, shoot 5 shots @ 100 to zero, then shoot another 5 shots at LR to verify drop. Ten rounds done! Everybody who tries to tune a load at 100 yards is just wasting time and components. All reloaders, all rifles, all calibers, all bullets, each and every one of you are all fooled by the whole "tuning a load" myth. His photos prove it. Multiple first loads, first times, new rifles, etc. Proven. Ten shots, done, every time! Let's just close the whole reloading forum, there's no need anymore.
Since it sounds like sarcasm i think thats tad harsh.. he just explains what he does. I build his rifles which makes it nice because he just expects half moa realistically. Theres more then 1 way to skin a cat. Especially in rifle building and reloading. Theres 2-3 guys on here that i look up too and learned from to build a gun or load work. And i dont do any of it exactly the way they do it and they dont do it the same as eachother. You gotta find what works for you.

For me shooting is fun, BUT chasing that BETTER group…..is FUNNER. And to do that you might have to sacrifice those barrels. Besides, hunting season is not all year long. So, shoot shoot shoot.
Chasing the "mythical" .000" group is my consuming passion. This 80-year-old combat vet body doesn't allow me any field time; however, I love shooting groups. I caught the bug in the mid 70's after having my old 25-06 re-barrelled and restocked with a Douglas Supreme target barrel, no taper at all, straight tube all the way to the muzzle. After the short break-in period, it shot a group at 100 yards that measured .023 inches. I was hooked and never looked back. I now chase it with all of my rifles, although the 338 LM can get finicky.

You have to have a good rifle, built by a good gunsmith, that's heavy enough to actually manage the recoil first. And not shoot junk bullets.

Last I checked it was a long range HUNTING forum. So I just shared how many times, and how easily, with what steps, that I've been able to achieve acceptable accuracy for long range hunting. And that I personally, with my components, have not been able to see repeatable, meaningful shrinkage of groups by micro tuning. So I quit doing it, since my baseline accuracy will kill any animal out to some pretty far yardages.

A well built rifle, the right powder/ bullet, and proper brass prep will get Huntnful sufficient accuracy he needs in his hunting rifle, which appears to be half moa +\-. That was my take anyway.
I did not see anywhere where he asserted further tuning could not be done, but that the incremental improvements over his current system aren't necessary for his needs and may be difficult to prove.
The discussion points are intended to inspire different approaches, and the results of those experiments will drive future (and hopefully better) systems. That's what this is all about, right?

Last edited: