Idaho Wolves 2018. Frustrating

It's not worth the risk if you can't buy a tag. Poaching is poaching. Don't care what critter is the target. Killing one wolf is not worth the consequences if caught. There is no way to "shoot" out of the problem anyway. mtmuley

i live in the North Idaho Panhandle. I rifle hunted (B tag) for elk this year. I did not see elk in the mountains where I normally do that time of year. Just a few cows, very few calves and zero bulls.

I did see wolf tracks nearly every outing and heard some howling at night. Last Sunday I drove a 20 mile remote mountain road after a fresh snow and saw 2 sets of wolf tracks and zero moose, elk and deer tracks.

I have never seen a wolf in wild but haven't really gone looking for them. There a few wolves killed each year incidentely hunting deer and elk but the vast majority of folks up here trap them. If you want to learn how to trap and meet people that do checkout f4wm.org. they will pay/reimburse you for expenses for every wolf you take.

Used to come to this area 10-20 years ago to deer and elk hunt. I am not sure why anyone would come here now. If you decide to come out and try to hunt a wolf please be prepared. You will likely need a mountain snowmobile and know how to use it. The public lands in this region are densly forested. There are not many places you can set up a long range rifle and do some calling. I would focus on recent logging cuts. They are open and deer and elk like to feed in them. They are not marked on maps so you may just have to drive and ask around.

If you want some un-biased background on the wolf situation checkout the book " The Real Wolf" by Lyons and Graves

Good Hunting!

Units 4 -4Abbn in north idaho supposed to be heavy with wolves. At least a thats the skinny I understood last week standing in line at DMV. Been some tracks up on rathdrum MT last year and this year. Haven't seen Hardly any
Elk on the mountain in several years and deer not much better

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.