Idaho Wolves 2018. Frustrating

BrentM

IMG_6185 - Copy.JPG 2018 wolf 1.JPG 2017 Wolves.JPG It was a super frustrating archery season for me this year. Ran into 3 packs and seemed like no matter where I went I was chasing elk sign with wolves. In the past calendar year I have killed 5 wolves and it seems like the density is much higher than I expected. I put the bow away and killed a couple out of a pack that roamed my favorite spot. Get out there and put dogs in the dirt.

How do you typically hunt wolves? I go to Idaho every year for elk hunting and only once seen a wolf wasn't able to get a shot off. Do you call them with a fox pro or just sit and watch a bait pile ie. guts from a recently harvested elk?

Locate activity. Glass and look for travel corridors. Howl to locate. Howl to bring them in. Hike. I put over 300 miles on boots since last fall. I have yet to figure out how to get a wolf interested in normal predator calls while hunting solo. It seem they hang up 100-200 yards out and sneak around to get wind and eye's on the source. This season I want to spend more time working on technique and seeing if I can hone in on how they approach the distress source. So far howling has been go to but this September they only came in once and I was not able to get an arrow in one. I switched to the rifle.

This looks like fun out of state hunting that is affordable! Plus it looks like you can hunt later in the year after most seasons are closed. I realize any locals probably are not going to reveal their hunting spots by saying on an open forum where to go, but generally speaking are they spread out evenly everywhere, or is it a waste of time to hunt certain areas? Also I briefly looked online, but not hard enough to find out if non resident hunters can purchase more than one tag?

I am not sure what tags are available for out of state. I assume they can get 5 like we do. However, that is pretty **** optimistic even for a local. If I fill all 5 tags this year it will be one off the bucket list. My goal is to fill every tag every year, even it is not realistic. Ha ha.

Winter is the best time, the wolves follow the migration of the elk and hammer the hell out of them. It seems to easy to hunt them but, it is cold, lots of snow potentially, wolves are active at night, they go high to rest and hide during the day. What seems easy becomes difficult and they move around a lot. I have followed fresh tracks in snow for well over 20 miles on a sled. They are frustrating but fun to hunt.

Hope you guys stack em' up. I use to elk / Mule Deer hunt Idaho every year (from out of state). The last two years I hunted in Idaho, saw more wolves than Elk or Mule Deer. Finally decided to hang up my Idaho trips because of the wolf problem.

Hope you guys stack em' up. I use to elk / Mule Deer hunt Idaho every year (from out of state). The last two years I hunted in Idaho, saw more wolves than Elk or Mule Deer. Finally decided to hang up my Idaho trips because of the wolf problem.
. Why not hunt the wolves while hunting elk?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts