Help chosing an Elk Cartridge.

My wife, all 110 pounds of her and a senior citizen to boot, shoots a .338 Federal loaded with 180 gr. Accubonds at 2800 fps. She has killed elk and deer with this load (although her favourite deer load is the Barnes 160 gr. TTSX). It fits in a short action, has low recoil, carries out to 400 yds - even if she won't shoot anything smaller than a moose beyond 200 - and is very accurate. If I wasn't so happy with my .338-06 I would probably be using one as well.

JS ~
In an attempt to address your specific goals of light weight for Elk, 400 yards, low recoil, Short action and a caliber that is on your list you might consider the boring but often over looked 270WSM. As a 300 rum / Accubond guy I certainly do relate to your quest. As we pursue game further and further back the weight issue is high on many of our lists. With that said too light is risky for consistent shot placement. A build with a premium long range or tactical heavier stock combined with the short action would be great.
The 30 WSM might be better but the 270WSM is just a sweet push. Take the time to look over the ballistics of that little cartridge with 150s. Easy to load up and great availability of off the self Elk ammo.

As to the "issue" of the WSMs not feeding, I have a M-70 Featherweight in 270 WSM that I have never had a feeding problem with. I have had the rifle since early 2004, so it has had a lot of rounds through it. Load development with 140 and 130 grain bullets ( I settled on the 140s ) and playing with the 90grain Sierria varmint bullets.
I really like the 270 WSM and I would not be put off by rumors of not feeding or that it is not the flavor of the month.

As to the "issue" of the WSMs not feeding, I have a M-70 Featherweight in 270 WSM that I have never had a feeding problem with. I have had the rifle since early 2004, so it has had a lot of rounds through it. Load development with 140 and 130 grain bullets ( I settled on the 140s ) and playing with the 90grain Sierria varmint bullets.
I really like the 270 WSM and I would not be put off by rumors of not feeding or that it is not the flavor of the month.

I was beside my buddy in Idaho a year ago when he took a bull at 300yds with his custom 270wsm and it had impressive performance. The elk took a few steps and piled up dead in a mound of windfall. A month later I was beside him when he took his Bighorn Ram at just over 100yds with the same gun and again, impessive. Although I do not yet own a 270wsm, it is always on my list of "need to/wants".

Within 400 yards, 7mm08 or 308. Lite recoil and I doubt you would shoot any better with magnums at that distance. 270 is an interesting choice but I'd rather not lock myself into the caliber with the worst bullet options.

A lightweight 300wsm or 270wsm for that matter is not enjoyable (comparatively) to shoot at the range without a muzzle device to reduce recoil.

Personally I think the 338 RCM is exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately it's not having much luck in the popularity department. I wish I could get a Browning X Bolton the 338 RCM for my next elk hunt.

I am looking to build a lightweight rifle for mountain hunting. Primary game will be Elk with a maximum range of 400 yards. I also plan to use the gun at the range and would like to keep the recoil low.

A short action cartridge would be nice but am willing to compromise on this. I don't currently reload but am willing to spend the time to learn. The option for factory ammo is desired.

I have been considering these cartridges, 308, 270WSM, 7mm-08, 6.5PRC for short actions. 30-06, 270, 280AI if I go with long action.

If I do reloading I would like to use a cartridge and bullet weight combination that allows for reduced recoil loads. I would plan to use the lighter loads for practicing at the range.
You might consider the 260 Remington or the 284 Winchester....the 284 has a little recoil for my shoulder but much less than the 7mm mag and it is almost traveling the same velocity. The 260 is on the light side but it it moving pretty good also look at the 25-06. Good luck. With 400 yards and under you have a lot of options.

Well, got a.338 W.M. exclusively for Elk in the saddle, be it a Ruger NO. 1 it goes into the scabbard very nicely.....Perfect Elk Gun.....Plus I am a lefty, even more better....Just my two cents worth......And have had GREAT success with it for over three decades....Love that Meat.

For lightweight and light recoil, it will be hard to beat the 6.5 Creedmoor (or one of it's ballistic twins). Plenty of power for elk well beyond 400 yards. The 6.5 PRC will increase your range but it's definitely more than you need for under 400 yards, plus it will kick more and have a shorter barrel life. One of the guys on LRSU recently took a nice bull at 1550 yards with the Creedmoor. That's definitely pushing it, but it to 7 or 800 yards, it's got reliable energy and better sectional density than most 30 cal bullets.

400 yds? Lazzeroni Galaxy AI on a Defiance (something lighter?) with Proof Research and whatever brake grabs your gizzard (KA Painkiller) in a manners T2 or whatever with Elite shell. I'd love an Ackley version of this round.

Still prolly too much horsepower (recoil) even though it's a short action.

338 Federal if in store ammunition is needed. Savage stainless like the 110 bear hunter or similar would prove to be accurate, reliable and light, but be sure to have a brake installed if your rifle didn't come with one and wear hearing protection at all times while shooting it.

It's hard to beat the 7mm Rem Mag for versatility in a light weight 24" platform. Lots of ammo selection, plenty of power, flat shooting out to intended range, and doesn't kick significantly differently than a 30-06. If you hand load and get a fast twist barrel you can load the heavier weight bullets and still shoot standard weights.

According to the recoil table the 300WSM has considerably more recoil than the 30-06 when using the same bullet weight. That is why I left the 300WSM and 300 WM off my list.

You are right but will add 200-300fps onto that 30-06 load in a short action package, which I like for any western hunting due to some of the distances encountered. Whoever said the 270WSM was out of favor, whatever that means, is poorly mistaken. Anybody who owns one will attest to that. You got some great info so far from all of the posts, to make your decision.

Hmm everyone says 7mag tough to beat, I think a 280 rem handloaded properly runs within 150fps of the 7mag. Low recoil, excellent variety of 7mm bullets available, stuff it full of RL26 175 partition, will handle elk to 600 yards pretty easily. I have a Forbes 24b that will be getting rebarrel to 280 rem or ai soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.