General Purpose Cartridge for Coyotes up to Elk

I don't really get the fascination with short actions. Bolt stroke and overall gun length changes little, but you have WAY more options for developing loads if you can use a longer Magazine that fits in a long action rifle. Lots of guys use a short action then futz endlessly trying to extend the mag well to seat heavy bullets longer. I have even seen guys try to put the 7x57 in a short action, which does nothing but mess up a really competent round.

Last edited:
I don't really get the fascination with short actions. Bolt stroke and overall gun length changes little, but you have WAY more options for developing loads if you can use a longer Magazine that fits in a long action rifle. Lots of guys use a short action then futz endlessly trying the extend the mag well to seat heavy bullets longer. I have even seen guys try to put 7x57 in a short action, which does nothing but mess up a really competent round.
I agree. I even consider my FN Belgium 98 Mauser more of a medium action perfect for 7x57 or 6.5x284.

Anyways, @charlesh777, now that you have been inundated with recommendations, any decisions yet?
No, sir. No concrete decisions yet. After talking with a friend who is into predator hunting, I am leaning towards starting on the smaller end of things for coyotes. Then in the future having a second barrel spun up. Will be going through Straight Jacket Armory for a barreled Origin Action to start with. Finishing up saving for the initial blow to the pocket book for that, so there is still time to make a solid decision. A lot of good recommendations, which I greatly appreciate. Not sure if I want to do one cartridge or two. Would definitely be cheaper for coyotes if I did two and had a separate barrel or rifle for elk. Would especially save money when I can reload.

Last edited:
I would vote 6.5 prc if i had to pick one. With a brake or can it has reasonable recoil for followup rounds for a moving coyote or two. Looking at loaded rounds, The 100gr eld-vt from copper creek would be interesting for coyotes running 3550fps. Not likely fur friendly lol, but not cheap. The 140+gr loads running around 2950fps aren't that far off a 280 which has taken plenty of elk and only about 200fps behind a traditional twist 7rm with a similar weight round. Just understand what round you get and it's strengths and weaknesses and practice. With the 143eldx or 140 accubond at 500yds starting at 2950fps you are roughly still looking at a velocity of ~2300fps and 1700ft lbs at 4700 elevation. Should be plenty with the right placement. Reloading could gain you another 100-150fps in my experience later on if your room situation changes. Remember there have been lots of kids take their first elk with a 243 within limits.

I don't really get the fascination with short actions. Bolt stroke and overall gun length changes little,
I don't disagree with your opinions. However, since the Obama induced shortages I've gravitated toward short action cartridges. So I like short actions as well, but I'm not trying to shoehorn in cartridges on the ragged edge of fitting. Nothing based off the .284 Win or X57 case in a short action for me.

No, sir. No concrete decisions yet. After talking with a friend who is into predator hunting, I am leaning towards starting on the smaller end of things for coyotes.
I'd vote .22 ARC or Creedmoor unless your state requires 6mm or larger for big game like mine. Then I'd go 6mm Creedmoor. When/if you reload, then things open up a bit to what you can play with.