Help chosing an Elk Cartridge.

I'll throw my $0.02 in. No matter which cartridge you choose, stock design will make a significant difference on felt recoil. Especially when you are talking about a lightweight rifle. And there is a difference in the type of felt recoil with different cartridges. Some are more of a push vs. more of a punch.

I've had a lot of different rifles, and just for example, I had a 300 WSM that I MUCH preferred to shoot over a 308 I had. Lots of factors play a part.

I suggest that you pick a cartridge that:
1) Is enough to get the job done
2) You are confident enough with that when you pull the trigger, you know it's a done deal
3) You are comfortable shooting without any worries of recoil or doubts of bullet performance.

I believe that if those criteria are not met first, it won't matter what you choose.

Very good answers. I have looong been a 30.06 fan - but friends with .270's and 7 Mags swear by their rifles as well. All fairly easy to get ammo for. Just bought a used .300 Win Mag in Weatherby Mark 5 - with a break. Can't wait to go 1,000 yard plinking - fairly confident out to 500 yards for hunting. Think Tikka T-3, Browning X-bolt, Remington and Savage ALL have accurate - good quality production rifles today - and there are also other brands. Take your time and find one you really like.

Lightweight and light recoil. I don't know what you call light recoil, but the 30-06 has light recoil compared to the 7mmRUM. One thing to consider, is that some states use to require bullets of a certain size or larger. Colorado use to require .284 or larger, but I have no idea what they require now. I love the 7mm08, but not sure if it would punch through the other side of an elk, if it hit a major bone, or if you have to shoot at an angle. Exit wounds are what leaves the blood trail.

I own 2 Ultra Light Arms rifles in 300WM and use them exclusively for Elk and other large big game where distance is a factor. One has a brake and the other does not. They are perfect for mountain hunting and are extremely accurate. The one without the brake has more recoil but you do not notice it in hunting situations because of adrenalin I guess. I think stock design comes into play here also. The one with the brake is extremely loud but is very smooth and very light recoil. I am playing with the thought of getting a can on it and see how that works out. A can that weighs 6 ounces might be more weight than I care to add. With all that that being said a light weight hunting rifle is not a range/bench gun. They typically do not have heavy barrels etc. and cool down between shots is longer. I would never go back to heavier a rifle(I spend far more time carrying it than shooting it) but make sure you choose a caliber that you can shoot and is suited for the game you want.

These threads are fantastic! Answers from every spectrum. I'll throw in another vote for the 6.5 SAUM/GAP/Whatever. Used it this year with 140gr Accubond to harvest the bull in my avatar. I'm a believer for absolute certain. The PRC beats it in the "commercially available" department, but it's a hair slower. Have fun choosing. Took me a year to bite the proverbial bullet on mine.

I am looking to build a lightweight rifle for mountain hunting. Primary game will be Elk with a maximum range of 400 yards. I also plan to use the gun at the range and would like to keep the recoil low.

A short action cartridge would be nice but am willing to compromise on this. I don't currently reload but am willing to spend the time to learn. The option for factory ammo is desired.

I have been considering these cartridges, 308, 270WSM, 7mm-08, 6.5PRC for short actions. 30-06, 270, 280AI if I go with long action.

If I do reloading I would like to use a cartridge and bullet weight combination that allows for reduced recoil loads. I would plan to use the lighter loads for practicing at the range.
You might look at a 7mm WSM, Bullets are plentiful from 100 gr up to the Berger 195 EOL excellent BC's. Can load reduced for less recoil and if long range is not your thing you can get away with a 24 or 26" barrel.

I own 2 Ultra Light Arms rifles in 300WM and use them exclusively for Elk and other large big game where distance is a factor. One has a brake and the other does not. They are perfect for mountain hunting and are extremely accurate. The one without the brake has more recoil but you do not notice it in hunting situations because of adrenalin I guess. I think stock design comes into play here also. The one with the brake is extremely loud but is very smooth and very light recoil. I am playing with the thought of getting a can on it and see how that works out. A can that weighs 6 ounces might be more weight than I care to add. With all that that being said a light weight hunting rifle is not a range/bench gun. They typically do not have heavy barrels etc. and cool down between shots is longer. I would never go back to heavier a rifle(I spend far more time carrying it than shooting it) but make sure you choose a caliber that you can shoot and is suited for the game you want.

I am planning to have a gun with a carbon wrapped barrel. This should allow shooting at the range but is not as light as all steel.

I believe it was Guy who said in an early reply that accuracy is a key factor and I totally agree. At the extreme you could possibly kill an elk with a .22 with the right placed shot but I would never try it. I agree with the guys about the 6.5 Creed. I helped a friend develop a load for his 6.5 Creed that used the Hornady 143 gn ELD-X and he used it this year to kill an elk at 800 yards. Kinetic energy is 1/2M(V-squared) and it is the velocity that is the real factor in delivered energy. His rifle is the Browning with the 28 inch barrel and we were getting just under 2900 FPS with our most accurate load shooting 0.3 minute groups regularly with a very flat trajectory because of the BC of that bullet and the velocity of the bullet at the target. The right placed shot with the right velocity of the bullet will take a large animal like an elk every time.

[Colorado use to require .284 or larger, but I have no idea what they require now. ]

Colorado requires a minimum .24 caliber, and a minimum 85 gr expanding bullet, and it must further generate a minimum of 1000 ft lbs energy at 100 yards (as stated by the manufacturer).

John - Any of these options work, but given your criteria of lightweight, low recoil, and that you will be shooting it at the range, as someone already replied, you should consider the 6.5 Creedmoor too. If you have a brake on the barrel, these are incredibly low recoiling rifles and you are unlikely to need special loads. Very wide range of low cost factory ammo, some of which is incredibly accurate, so you can spend your time shooting instead of loading. I've taken elk with it, and wouldn't hesitate in the proper conditions to take them out to 500 yards with it. That said, I hunt elk more often with my 7mmRM just in case they are farther (though I haven't had the need/opportunity so far).

Completely sold on accubonds. I use them in all my rifles. I use 180 grain for Elk in my 300WM. They typically do not pass through so all the energy is released into the animal. I usually find the bullet in the hide on the opposite side.
I am looking to build a lightweight rifle for mountain hunting. Primary game will be Elk with a maximum range of 400 yards. I also plan to use the gun at the range and would like to keep the recoil low.

A short action cartridge would be nice but am willing to compromise on this. I don't currently reload but am willing to spend the time to learn. The option for factory ammo is desired.

I have been considering these cartridges, 308, 270WSM, 7mm-08, 6.5PRC for short actions. 30-06, 270, 280AI if I go with long action.

If I do reloading I would like to use a cartridge and bullet weight combination that allows for reduced recoil loads. I would plan to use the lighter loads for practicing at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.