Headshot's how many take them, and why?.

I shoot does in the head, no sense wasting meat.

If they are relaxed and not on alert, a heads hotshot is my choice, otherwise, it's the off switch shot or wait for a better opportunity.

IMG_7325.png

View attachment 476542
Roughly the area that will guarantee a 100 percent DRT. I've seen several walking around missing the entire bottom jaw. I've saw 2 missing everything (top and bottom jaw) from just in front of the tear gland, still walking. Not a pretty sight.
I do take head shots from time to time, and I'm not telling anyone not to. Just be very aware of the risks.
Agree!
AND... that CNS circle isn't nearly 8" x 8" at any angle.
I've done it often as well, but only in the perfect scenario.

Roughly 230yds, thru the eyes, it can be done and isn't that tough(especially if I can do it). It requires reading the posture/demeanor of the deer.

I should say it's easier when hunting at reasonable distances front a blind, having complete confidence in your rifle/ammo combo.

I have taken them from 140yds to over 300yds, some cleanly like this, others effective but nasty. Accubonds are somewhat unpredictable, switching to the Berger VLD-H and hoping the results are better. I also have some Barnes LRX to try this fall as well. I think Hammers would be a perfect choice for this?
IMG_3705.jpeg

For a while I did neck shots on whitetails, but I had butchered lots of animals so knew where the spine was and wasn't. Went back to double lung though. Neck roasts are tasty. Wouldn't do headshots because of the bob& weave mentioned, and I did Euros on all our animals.

5/8" @ 1000 yards
Knowing, and learning your rifle, how to reload for optimal results as well as the skeletal structure of the game you are shooting, gives one the ability to put down the animal one is seeking.
Knowing what the round will do to the animal upon impact, in the case of headshots, you are not trying to kill an animal by shooting it in the brain, I know a lot of people walking upright without much of one, that isn't what keeps one alive.

Headshots, or shooting an animal in the head, when the impact of the bullet goes into and through the skull, it breaks the spine and in most cases takes the head completely off the spine, dropping the animal in it's tracks.

Again, a sniper doesn't shoot for the heart or lungs, even with the big .50 cals they're using today, always, all, Headshots.
I'm not asking you or anyone here for their moral opinion, I don't give two rips about that side of the coin. But again, I think my argument stands that fewer headshots = less game lost.

I'd probably be banned if I gave my whole, unfiltered opinion on the topic.

The target is smaller and more likely to move. The head isn't a kill zone, the brain is. Yes, it's a quick kill of you get it right, but it's easy to screw up. A well placed heart/lung shot with a good bullet is a quick kill, gives you a bigger target, and is less likely to move as you break the shot. Deer don't bob their heart and lungs up and down like they do with their head.

I've wasted tags on malnourished deer that lost a jaw to a botched headshot. Anyone who says "a miss is the worst that can happen" is ignorant of the slow death they're likely to cause if they miss the brain but hit the deer. It's easy to mistake a jaw hit with a clean miss since there's little blood or hair loss.
Well I will highly disagree with your statement, seen way to many gut shots, and you're only pointing at one possibility. Again headshots are "NOT" mainly aiming for the brain, though is the target, but the shot as explained 3 times not, breaks the spine at the skull. Watch the video I posted today. 5/8th of an inch 5 shot group @ 1000yards. anything closer is even better.

I do most of my hunting from a blind over feed. I take neck shots with all of the variables in place: comfortable range, settled target (not jumpy from high wind or predators), stable rest, and known accuracy. If I have any doubt, I like the front point of the shoulder or shoulder aiming for opposite leg.

Well I will highly disagree with your statement, seen way to many gut shots, and you're only pointing at one possibility. Again headshots are "NOT" mainly aiming for the brain, though is the target, but the shot as explained 3 times not, breaks the spine at the skull. Watch the video I posted today. 5/8th of an inch 5 shot group @ 1000yards. anything closer is even better.

That's still a tiny target with the same problems.

Bad shots happen no matter what. Being off by 2" doesn't make a vital shot a gut shot. 2" makes a clean headshot into a broken jaw.

You're right that I'm only pointing out one potential failure. It's the one I see the most, and probably causes the slowest death.

Ignoring the fact that 5 shot groups don't mean anything, you're claiming to outshoot the IBS 1000yd world record holder by a significant margin.

EDIT: Just saw which video you linked. At least you're an obvious troll and don't actually believe what you're posting. It's unfortunate a lot of people aren't going to recognize that.

Last edited:

Recent Posts