Headshot's how many take them, and why?.

MI.264

I've open this conversation in the main forum, with some interesting replies.
Head shots, or vital area?.

So this time I will Expound on the two areas, circumference of a white tail deer skull is
The average white-tailed deer skull is about 11.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.
So too be fair one could only say that the area in which you would take a head shot would be.
The height within the 11 inches top/bottom Middle area being ideal.
I find no data on the area of the skull from the back to say the area behind the eye.
But giving a fair estimate, I'd be ok with saying 8", So this gives you a comfortable 8"x8"
kill area.

The Vital area on a white tail is 10", which could penetrate the heart, but with out a doubt the lungs
both being kill areas.

So my advocacy for headshots, Dead, down, on the spot, no question, no tracking and no suffering.

Vital shots, give a high percentage of kill opportunities, but a bad placed shot and your entering the guts, a bad way for an animal to die, and can take along time, sometime days.

Worst case with a head shot, you miss.

Now I'm not saying I won't take a vital shot, but given the opportunity I'll head shoot them every time.
If you're long distant shooting you have a sub moa. I shoot out to 700yards, and If I can't place the bullet into a 2" circle
then I shouldn't be spending so much time and money on equipment and reloading for perfection that when the opportunity comes I find a lack of confidence to place my shot.

What say you.????

I've open this conversation in the main forum, with some interesting replies.
Head shots, or vital area?.

So this time I will Expound on the two areas, circumference of a white tail deer skull is
The average white-tailed deer skull is about 11.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.
So too be fair one could only say that the area in which you would take a head shot would be.
The height within the 11 inches top/bottom Middle area being ideal.
I find no data on the area of the skull from the back to say the area behind the eye.
But giving a fair estimate, I'd be ok with saying 8", So this gives you a comfortable 8"x8"
kill area.

The Vital area on a white tail is 10", which could penetrate the heart, but with out a doubt the lungs
both being kill areas.

So my advocacy for headshots, Dead, down, on the spot, no question, no tracking and no suffering.

Vital shots, give a high percentage of kill opportunities, but a bad placed shot and your entering the guts, a bad way for an animal to die, and can take along time, sometime days.

Worst case with a head shot, you miss.

Now I'm not saying I won't take a vital shot, but given the opportunity I'll head shoot them every time.
If you're long distant shooting you have a sub moa. I shoot out to 700yards, and If I can't place the bullet into a 2" circle
then I shouldn't be spending so much time and money on equipment and reloading for perfection that when the opportunity comes I find a lack of confidence to place my shot.

What say you.????
I guess you've never seen a deer with its bottom jaw blown completely off and unable to eat. Talk about a cruddy way to a long agonizing death. So no it's not instant death or a clean miss with head shots.

At least they have some reasonable chance at survival on a botched shot in the vitals.

No, worst case is you take off the lower jaw. Very little bleeding so unless someone gets to it first the animal starves.

The only time I would take a head shot is if the animal is already wounded and its the only shot available.
I've seen a few, in person and on cams/vids, that had terrible wounds to their heads/jaws/noses, only to often die a slow death.

That said and many years ago living in the South, I have killed a few deer with a scoped 22 rifle with head shots, but usually, those were under 25-30yds or so and all shot from the side. Typically, these rare few were taken while hunting small game like squirrels or rabbits and a doe or small buck comes wandering by.

Last edited:
I guess you've never seen a deer with its bottom jaw blown completely off and unable to eat. Talk about a cruddy way to a long agonizing death. So no it's not instant death or a clean miss with head shots.

At least they have some reasonable chance at survival on a botched shot in the vitals.
I'm 65 years old, I've hunted since I've been 12. I was a guide in Montana and Idaho. if it's happened I've seen it or heard about it.
Same as a vital, turn at the last second and you have a gut shot, I've tracked those a lot further than I wanted to.
I've been doing headshots for more than 30 years with no misses, no tracking, not to say it can't happen, but again, if one knows there skill and waits for the right shot as they should no matter where their shot placement is, again I've dropped them every time, and they never flinched, they never knew what happen, compared to a vital shot, they move some what from where they were standing.

This thread smells like a baited trap and there are already three great posts for the anti's to exploit. Some discussions are just better had by the campfire.
Why do people like you come in and start this kind of BS, just move along if you don't like the topic, I did not ask you directly to leave your input.
It's a simple question.

Last edited:
IMG_5296.jpeg

Roughly the area that will guarantee a 100 percent DRT. I've seen several walking around missing the entire bottom jaw. I've saw 2 missing everything (top and bottom jaw) from just in front of the tear gland, still walking. Not a pretty sight.
I do take head shots from time to time, and I'm not telling anyone not to. Just be very aware of the risks.

I have never taken a headshot at any animal. I don't find it to be a high percentage shot and the non-fatal hits are gruesome. Not only do they die a lingering death but thinking about the physical torment to an animal with part of its face blown off keeps me aiming for large vital areas where there is the best chance of getting a fatal shot.

But that's just my take on it. I'm not here to criticize what others do.

I'm 65 years old, I've hunted since I've been 12. I was a guide in Montana and Idaho. if it's happened I've seen it or heard about it.
Same as a vital, turn at the last second and you have a gut shot, I've tracked those a lot further than I wanted to.
I've been doing headshots for more than 30 years with no misses, no tracking, not to say it can't happen, but again, if one knows there skill and waits for the right shot as they should no matter where their shot placement is, again I've dropped them every time, and they never flinched, they never knew what happen, compared to a vital shot, they move some what from where they were standing.
But it sure messes up that trophy head.

Well you have 10 years of age on me…..

Headshots seem to be a "badge of honor" here in Texas and I've seen more than I care for in the situation I mentioned. I've never done it and don't intend to because I've seen the worst outcome from it.

When I was you I grew up shooting in rifle and pistol club.Shot 1000's of rounds and winter pistol. I shot many deer and elk in the head in the timber. I was a whitetail hunter back then.Shot one with my 22 pistol, one with my 44 pistol at 10 yrds.THEN, one season I missed a big 5x5 nibbling on a branch, then another later in season.And was down to a cow tag, and missed one bedded. I was 0 for 3 head shots and gave it up.Although if one is bedded and that's all I have I won't hesitate

Recent Posts