Headshot's how many take them, and why?.

Snipers don't take vital shots.
I've had every aspect of my rifle pression fitted, tuned Blueprinted.
I trim my casing to a standard uniform length and seat my bullets to a uniform depth insuring as much as possible the placement of the bullet.

Yes **** happens, and when it does, then I want to be sure if I missed, it was because I read the wind wrong, or I miss calculated my yardage. But to me, that all falls in line with taking the right shot "IF" it presents it's self, if the wind is that bad, I'm not taking the shot. I've passed on more animals than I killed. I also have a full freezer.
5/8" @ 1000 yards
Knowing, and learning your rifle, how to reload for optimal results as well as the skeletal structure of the game you are shooting, gives one the ability to put down the animal one is seeking.
Knowing what the round will do to the animal upon impact, in the case of headshots, you are not trying to kill an animal by shooting it in the brain, I know a lot of people walking upright without much of one, that isn't what keeps one alive.

Headshots, or shooting an animal in the head, when the impact of the bullet goes into and through the skull, it breaks the spine and in most cases takes the head completely off the spine, dropping the animal in it's tracks.

Again, a sniper doesn't shoot for the heart or lungs, even with the big .50 cals they're using today, always, all, Headshots.
I'm not asking you or anyone here for their moral opinion, I don't give two rips about that side of the coin. But again, I think my argument stands that fewer headshots = less game lost.
Well I will highly disagree with your statement, seen way to many gut shots, and you're only pointing at one possibility. Again headshots are "NOT" mainly aiming for the brain, though is the target, but the shot as explained 3 times not, breaks the spine at the skull. Watch the video I posted today. 5/8th of an inch 5 shot group @ 1000yards. anything closer is even better.

Military snipers don't take headshots 100% of the time, especially not with the 50 as most aren't capable of that level of precision since they are predominantly used for anti material roles. They take the best possible shot that will incapacitate the target during the time available for the shot. For them a head, chest, or hip shot does the job of taking the target out of the fight.

Now SWAT and police might have stricter rules due to the possibility of collateral damage as a wounded suspect can still kill a hostage or other bystander. But they are also typically operating in closer environments.

As for the 5/8" at 1000 yards, you are literally comparing a free recoiling bench rest rifle shooting at a static target on a known range after sighting shots to a cold bore shot at a unpredictable target off an improvised rest at a possibly unknown range.

This adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.
To even suggest that it does lowers your credibility in my mind.

As for the 5/8" at 1000 yards, you are literally comparing a free recoiling bench rest rifle shooting at a static target on a known range after sighting shots to a cold bore shot at a unpredictable target off an improvised rest at a possibly unknown range.

Watch the video. It's Cortina's April Fools joke from a few years back. He's just here to stir the pot.

Watch the video. It's Cortina's April Fools joke from a few years back. He's just here to stir the pot.
So, do I need to make good use of the "ignore" button again?
I went well over ten years before using it the first time but it doesnt look like it'll be that long for the second.

Why do people like you come in and start this kind of BS, just move along if you don't like the topic, I did not ask you directly to leave your input.
It's a simple question.
Dang bro you're the one that brought up this subject and asked for opinions and jump down this dudes throat for giving his? You claim you've guided and have all this experience and even claim to put a shot cold bore inside of 2" out to 700 yards, but I've done my fair share of guiding here in MT and worked with and for a pile more and I have never heard one of them tell a client to take a head shot on any animal in any situation. If you feel comfortable with the shot I guess to each their own but to fire off a shot over the bow on him for his opinion was uncalled for.

This was somebody's head shot that I cleaned up. Double lung and he went 30 yards.
2011-11-15 11.20.42.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone I ever hunted with never mentioned a head shot on big game animals. Small game is common. I guess it's who you hunt with, that kind of sets that thought in your beginning years. I've had a couple of people tell me they wanted to shoot them in the face. I steer way clear of those people. That's just weird.

I used to kill a lot of hogs with a 22mag right in the ole ear hole.....why?? Because rimfire or shotgun (with #4 shot) was the largest allowed on the military base I hunted. I had a lot higher recovery rate with the 22mag.

I would say a good understanding of the possibilities and probabilities is prudent in these situations. Know and understand your limits.

1689341679168.png

1689341710164.png

1689341740408.png

That's still a tiny target with the same problems.

Bad shots happen no matter what. Being off by 2" doesn't make a vital shot a gut shot. 2" makes a clean headshot into a broken jaw.

You're right that I'm only pointing out one potential failure. It's the one I see the most, and probably causes the slowest death.

Ignoring the fact that 5 shot groups don't mean anything, you're claiming to outshoot the IBS 1000yd world record holder by a significant margin.

EDIT: Just saw which video you linked. At least you're ahat you're posting. It's unfortunate a lot of people aren't going to recognize thYou're fullof it. Headshots, obviously because you don't tak the eye

I shoot does in the head, no sense wasting meat.

If they are relaxed and not on alert, a heads hotshot is my choice, otherwise, it's the off switch shot or wait for a better opportunity.

View attachment 476632
That's all I'm saying, but others want to think I'm a troll, well I;am, I live below the bridge in Michigan, so officially I'm a troll