Headshot's how many take them, and why?.

So don't write in the sense that you're making false statements of what I said.
The video posted was to show another step on can use to achieve accuracy.
You keep referring to the jaw being shot. The headshot placement is below and behind the eye, as stated in an earlier post, as well as by

, it's the shot "IF" it presents it's self.
So hang with the thread, but please don't twist peoples words.

Dang bro you're the one that brought up this subject and asked for opinions and jump down this dudes throat for giving his? You claim you've guided and have all this experience and even claim to put a shot cold bore inside of 2" out to 700 yards, but I've done my fair share of guiding here in MT and worked with and for a pile more and I have never heard one of them tell a client to take a head shot on any animal in any situation. If you feel comfortable with the shot I guess to each their own but to fire off a shot over the bow on him for his opinion was uncalled for.
I never said, I told clients to take a headshot. I stated plainly "That I Take Headshot", I didn't jump down anyone's throat, twisting other peoples words to defend your point of view doesn't make it plausible. Also point out who you're referring too.

Military snipers don't take headshots 100% of the time, especially not with the 50 as most aren't capable of that level of precision since they are predominantly used for anti material roles. They take the best possible shot that will incapacitate the target during the time available for the shot. For them a head, chest, or hip shot does the job of taking the target out of the fight.

Now SWAT and police might have stricter rules due to the possibility of collateral damage as a wounded suspect can still kill a hostage or other bystander. But they are also typically operating in closer environments.

As for the 5/8" at 1000 yards, you are literally comparing a free recoiling bench rest rifle shooting at a static target on a known range after sighting shots to a cold bore shot at a unpredictable target off an improvised rest at a possibly unknown range.
The video as STATED was posted for the purpose of taking another piece of knowledge to make one a better shooter, and I for one think that is what we're all trying to achieve. I did not state the "I" can make that placement, without a whole lot of practice and ammo

In the late 80s early 90s I hunted on a lease with a guy and he shot every deer in the head with a Marlin bolt action 883 22 mag. He also used erasable ink on his tags, he literally would shoot every designated cull and the majority of the required number of does on the lease every fall. He was coonass thru and thru, but he also never took a shot over 50yds, most closer than that.

He processed every piece of meat and didn't waste anything, I understood why, because it was how he fed his family throughout the remainder of the year.

I learned how to pick the perfect candidate for a head shot, he was a great judge at relaxed posture. I never saw a deer take a step after he shot either.

I know this is a "sensitive" subject and I have seen the results of poor head shots, but in every case it was a face on, not a broadside shot.

I will continue to use it in the perfect scenario, but that is me, you do you.

I never said, I told clients to take a headshot. I stated plainly "That I Take Headshot", I didn't jump down anyone's throat, twisting other peoples words to defend your point of view doesn't make it plausible. Also point out who you're referring too.
I'm referring to you! You quoted the man's post and told him to basically keep his options to himself when your original post clearly asked for options and then you chastise the man for giving one you didn't wanna hear. You had to have started this thread knowing it was gonna draw controversy. And I really struggle to see how I twisted your words to fit narrative when they came right off your original post. Seems you were trying hard to defend your point by telling all of us how proficient you are with a firearm because you've had "so much experience". Maybe you are maybe you can. I don't care either way. I just don't like bully's.

I'm referring to you! You quoted the man's post and told him to basically keep his options to himself when your original post clearly asked for options and then you chastise the man for giving one you didn't wanna hear. You had to have started this thread knowing it was gonna draw controversy. And I really struggle to see how I twisted your words to fit narrative when they came right off your original post. Seems you were trying hard to defend your point by telling all of us how proficient you are with a firearm because you've had "so much experience". Maybe you are maybe you can. I don't care either way. I just don't like bully's.
And again, point me in the right direction, it's never my intention to dismiss someone point of view, and I will opolagize to him if I had made any discouragin remarks.
But if you just state the same thing over and over I can not see what you're referring too.

Yes, head shots are taken... when that is all that the animal presents, and it's within the capability of the shooter limited to close range stalking off hand shots...a big magnum will ruin the head of a 6 point bull elk, if you're like into mounting stuff.

I'm having a hard time understanding how a strictly bench rifle shot under controlled conditions has anything to do with shooting critters in the head.
Maybe you can enlighten me?
Have no clue what you're referring to, strictly bench rifle shooting?. I put up a video, only in reference to showing how one can go about achieving a better zero (If that is what you're talking bout) So how one shoots when they are in the field Is not the question, because as pointed out by me and other's posted, "IF" the shot presents its self, then it's taken, if not one waits until it does.

Don't know why people feel the need to twist other peoples words, present your theory, your proof, but don't put words into somebody else mouth.
I've hunted over 50 years, as well as hunted with a lot of other people over those years and have seen many big game and small game taken with headshots. to me it's a cleaner kill. So don't go off on, if you make a bad shot or a miss, that argument goes both ways and can happen.

My statement is and I stand by, I've over my 50+ years of hunting have seen more gut shots, one of the main reasons is that the majority of hunters shoot a vital shot, so that stands too reason, but my point also was that split second jump or turn that can cause a gut shot to happen is more prevalent then then a bad headshot if properly aiming low behind the eye.

Last edited:
I've open this conversation in the main forum, with some interesting replies.
Head shots, or vital area?.

So this time I will Expound on the two areas, circumference of a white tail deer skull is
The average white-tailed deer skull is about 11.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.
So too be fair one could only say that the area in which you would take a head shot would be.
The height within the 11 inches top/bottom Middle area being ideal.
I find no data on the area of the skull from the back to say the area behind the eye.
But giving a fair estimate, I'd be ok with saying 8", So this gives you a comfortable 8"x8"
kill area.

The Vital area on a white tail is 10", which could penetrate the heart, but with out a doubt the lungs
both being kill areas.

So my advocacy for headshots, Dead, down, on the spot, no question, no tracking and no suffering.

Vital shots, give a high percentage of kill opportunities, but a bad placed shot and your entering the guts, a bad way for an animal to die, and can take along time, sometime days.

Worst case with a head shot, you miss.

Now I'm not saying I won't take a vital shot, but given the opportunity I'll head shoot them every time.
If you're long distant shooting you have a sub moa. I shoot out to 700yards, and If I can't place the bullet into a 2" circle
then I shouldn't be spending so much time and money on equipment and reloading for perfection that when the opportunity comes I find a lack of confidence to place my shot.

What say you.????
I shoot doe in the BACK of the head when they are looking away, the "kill zone" is reduced to about the size of a soft ball, but it's a much much much safer shot than a side shot.
Blow off an upper or lower jaw one day and you'll stop taking side profile shots. Had it happen when I was a kid and I'll never do it again. The same shot when they are looking away is a clean miss.

Been doing it for 12 years now and I have no reason to change.

You keep mentioning this and it's just not true. Someone watches too many movies.
If you would have taken the time to read throughout the posts, you would have seen, that no one, myself included is making absolute statements. They're are others posting the same as I , there is video proof to the statement and fact.
I don't watch tv, or hollywood propaganda agenda oriented BS. this comes from research and life experiences.