Hammer bullets

It's a cooper timberline with a 24" barrel

Sykes,
I just recently got a Timberline in for my son (who is in the Navy). Have done the load development but haven't shot it a lot yet. I think it's gonna be a fine rifle (6.5-284 ). What is your impression of the rifle so far ?

Sykes,
I just recently got a Timberline in for my son (who is in the Navy). Have done the load development but haven't shot it a lot yet. I think it's gonna be a fine rifle (6.5-284 ). What is your impression of the rifle so far ?
I really like it, it's great to carry and very comfortable to shoot prone. The stock fits me very well from the grip to the comb. Trigger tech triggers are awesome! I have been shooting mine to 500 yards and it will do solid 3" groups at that distance regularly with the 143 hammer hunters. I fell it's a really balance built rifle when it comes to shootability and lightweight. I had two Cooper backcountry rifles previously and they for ME were too light to shoot accurately. My only issue with this rifle is the mag will not drop out empty unless I push from the top. First Cooper of four that has given me that problem.

I would be interested in trying these, but it looks like all their heavy 0.308 bullets require fast twist rates. Does anyone have any experience with hammer bullets and a slower twist than recommended?

Carpenter_94, here you go.
This was firing 6.5 Hammer Hunters 124 grainers from a Pac-Nor 8" twist that was apparently not 8" twist. It seemed to be about 8 1/4" twist running a patch through it half dozen times. The box called for an 8" twist. This is a 300 yard ladder. Numbers 5,6,7,8, &9 were a little under 2". So even when they don't stabilize they seem to be accurate. I switched to the slightly shorter Sledgehammer 130 grain bullets and shot five in 1 1/2" at 300 and made nice little round holes. They kill well too.

buck photo.jpg

There was for us, from the same box, and it mimicked our experiences on game. To me it explains the passion both ways with the Barnes.

The hammers are certainly soft. Dropped one of the bullets and the hollow point closed. I was like crap!!!

Your findings certainly explain the love/hate relationship you see with Barnes. I used to shoot the 300gr TTSX out of my 458 socom. Every round I managed to catch was fully expanded...but the expansion wasn't consistent to the impact velocity. The one I sailed out 300 yards on an aoudad expanded the same as an other on a closer shot with a third one at roughly the distance having its petals pealed further back.

I really like it, it's great to carry and very comfortable to shoot prone. The stock fits me very well from the grip to the comb. Trigger tech triggers are awesome! I have been shooting mine to 500 yards and it will do solid 3" groups at that distance regularly with the 143 hammer hunters. I fell it's a really balance built rifle when it comes to shootability and lightweight. I had two Cooper backcountry rifles previously and they for ME were too light to shoot accurately. My only issue with this rifle is the mag will not drop out empty unless I push from the top. First Cooper of four that has given me that problem.

Sykes,
Thanx for your eval of the Timberline. Like you, I was really attracted to the new stock design. Ditto on the lightweight and handling of the rifle. Interestingly, the last Cooper I had (Excalibur)was awful trying to get a loaded magazine to seat in the gun. Didn't have any problem ejecting it. We'll see how this one does.
I am a big fan of the Cooper. They shoot so well.
Appreciate ur feedback.

I think the 133g Sledge Hammer is your best bet. The 117g Hammer Hunter had been used with very good success but they both have shoot the same effective yardage and I like the larger bullet better for elk.

Last edited:
I started load development with the 181 hammer hunters in my new x bolt hells canyon long range today. I tried 3 different loads. All H1000. 80gr, 80.5, and 81. 80 and 80.5 shot sub MOA, 81 shot two just about touching and one off by about 3 inches, I think I might have pulled it. So basically with 9 rounds of load development I have a sub .75 MOA load and I'm thinking I can shrink that to sub .5 MOA.

I started load development with the 181 hammer hunters in my new x bolt hells canyon long range today. I tried 3 different loads. All H1000. 80gr, 80.5, and 81. 80 and 80.5 shot sub MOA, 81 shot two just about touching and one off by about 3 inches, I think I might have pulled it. So basically with 9 rounds of load development I have a sub .75 MOA load and I'm thinking I can shrink that to sub .5 MOA.

That's been the load development with the Hammer bullets! Extremely easy and fast compared to conventional bullets and other monolithic brands!
Keep us posted

My buddy is putting a 6.5 creedmoor together. He has become quite interested in the 130gr Sledge hammer after explaining how it functions to him. He is a pretty avid TSX shooter but he's up for change

I've only had one Berger fail to expand, but dangit I really want to give these hammers a try. Especially since my elk rifle is now a 6.5...