Hammer bullets

27BB1570-A0C1-4C24-A57A-28C4EB93B8BE.jpeg

I was able to test preliminary loads today for one of my 25-06s with 98 gr Sledge Hammers.....53.5 grains of IMR4831 in Nosler brass with 210M primers, seated .020" off lands for 3181 fps with no pressure signs. After last 3 sight in shots were .25", I shot the group in the attached picture.....I think "Hammer Bullets are easy to work up a load for" is an UNDERSTATEMENT! Needless to say, I'm Impressed. Now to increase the powder charge for a little more velocity and then on to working up loads for my 264WM and 280AI when I have a little more time!

I would be interested in trying these, but it looks like all their heavy 0.308 bullets require fast twist rates. Does anyone have any experience with hammer bullets and a slower twist than recommended?

I have the 181's rolling out at 3490fps.

The ease of loading them is ridiculous. I could have done it in fewer shots than what I did.

As you said each one is exactly the same, which is highly impressive. I only noted a +\- of .1 grains varience.

I haven't turned them loose on anything yet :/ but I'm sure it will be impressive when the opportunity comes.

I would be interested in trying these, but it looks like all their heavy 0.308 bullets require fast twist rates. Does anyone have any experience with hammer bullets and a slower twist than recommended?

Sounds like these bullets punch above their weights. I wanted to run the 214 but even with the velocity my 300AX produces I couldn't overcome the lack of twist needed from my 1:10. It's a lazer with the 181's.

I'd give the 155's and 177's a look

I've achieved excellent accuracy with the 143 HH in a 7WSM and the 181 HH in a 30Nosler. My on-game experience is limited to one shot. I hit a bull elk at 315yds with a 181 HH bullet. Impact was high lung, broadside. The bull dropped in about 10 seconds and went still in another 10 seconds. Considering the widely acknowledged tenacity of a big bull, I was both surprised and impressed with the terminal performance.

I also like to run the big heavies like the 230 Berger but I'm in a lead free state so I either get a faster twist barrel or run lighter and faster. Compare the ballistics of the 227 grain Hammer at ~3,000fps versus the 181 grain at ~3,400fps and you will see the 227 has to be past 1,200 yards before it really starts to pull away for the lighter bullet and the 181 is still ~5 MOA flatter.
I have an 8 twist for my RUM and will probably run the 214 or 199

I sure will be doing that might be a real good choice. Lots of good reviews on them. Just maybe they will be cheaper than the $114 Berger 250s

I got a smokin deal on berger 250's so I bought 4 boxes. I'd like to try some hammers too though

What's your thoughts on Barnes ?
Have shot Barnes a long time as I'm in CA but my experiences are;
A) very hard copper, does not expand on soft tissue but somehow does damage to internals. Hard copper does crush bone and penetrate but it also has more engraving pressure resulting in lower velocity from higher pressure.
B) Very sensitive to seating length; this can be a make or break in your particular rifle.
C) The jump seating depth can spike pressure very sharply, I mean from no pressure to blowing a primer.
D) Their support/load data has been dead wrong in many cases.
With the 127 LRX 6.5 x .284 I had over 24 kills mostly pigs, then deer, and 3 elk. I never recovered a single bullet as all were pass thru, all the animals died from shot placement but none had a blood trail...none.
plenty of reloading and hunting experience with other calibers but all were finicky in load development.
The Hammers are exactly the opposite for load development meaning they are the easiest bullet I have ever done load work on.
Try some, they are guaranteed...how can you loose ?

What's your thoughts on Barnes ?

Wasn't impressed with the 80gr TTSX. Shot well out of my 243. Just not what I wanted on the terminal side. Rolled a coyote, hog and a deer. Coyote DRT. Hog and the deer both had been shot through the lungs, poor blood trail on both.

Other Barnes I've seen used just look too controlled with the damage, like a drill bit went through.