First black bear!

Congrats. Good story. Sounds like some bear fever there. LOL
I have tenderized it with a hammer and soaked in buttermilk all night. The did chicken fried bear. yum yum.
Also good sliced thin any fried crispy.
Bear stew can be good too. Take a piece of rump roast or something. Cube it up and cook with some onion, green lima beans, corn and potato.
Enjoy.
Definitely some bear fever lol.

I'll try that! I expect half of that backstrap will become stew or slow cooker tacos

Congratulations on your first Bear.

Most people, blind folded or not, can't tell bear from pork. Tenderloin can be cooked as medallions or cooked as a roast. Most tenderloins make two good size roasts each. Bacon wrap the roast or medallions because this meat is very lean.

The prime cuts can be cooked like pork, low and slow is best. Sous Vide also works great to get a peice of meat that is very tender, cooked to pork/bear safe temperatures, still moist with a completely even temperature and then brown it to finish.

Congratulations ! Bear meat to me is one of the best the wife thinks the same also.....

Just make sure all bear meat is cooked done....I know two people that got trichinosis from not cooking the meat enough....both had a long treatment but have recovered....make sure to cook to a temperature of 160 degrees......

Congratulations ! Bear meat to me is one of the best the wife thinks the same also.....

Just make sure all bear meat is cooked done....I know two people that got trichinosis from not cooking the meat enough....both had a long treatment but have recovered....make sure to cook to a temperature of 160 degrees......
You can also kill it by freezing the meat to at least -15 C, 5 F, for 20 days. If you can get it colder than that, even better. That way you can serve the meat far less done because 165 is pretty much really well done. It is also why Sous Vide works so well, the actual temp to kill it is about 135 F over a 4 hour period but it has to be an even temp thoughout and Sous Vide works really well for accomplishing that

Careful with the freezing.
Tom
IMG_5586.png