First black bear!

I thought that too! I'm in southern oregon. It was 82 on the hill yesterday and about 65 hiking out. I had planned to wait for later in the year (because I hate the heat) but my buddy assured me that his best tasting bears have all been harvested in august, just due to how many berries are actively ripe. Acorn bears apparently aren't as tasty.

Paint me very surprised that their seasons open that early! 🙀 memtb

Nice work. Put on 9 miles and 1300 vertical feet yesterday to no avail. Now back to working on rifles that have to be done by the 1st of September so I'm done until atleast the second/3rd week of September

Nice work. Put on 9 miles and 1300 vertical feet yesterday to no avail. Now back to working on rifles that have to be done by the 1st of September so I'm done until atleast the second/3rd week of September
That's tough when you get skunked on a precious free day. I hope your next trip is more successful!

Has anyone tried frying up bear backstrap in medallions? Or should the entire thing go into the grinder?

Has anyone tried frying up bear backstrap in medallions? Or should the entire thing go into the grinder?
Congrats. Good story. Sounds like some bear fever there. LOL
I have tenderized it with a hammer and soaked in buttermilk all night. The did chicken fried bear. yum yum.
Also good sliced thin any fried crispy.
Bear stew can be good too. Take a piece of rump roast or something. Cube it up and cook with some onion, green lima beans, corn and potato.
Enjoy.