First black bears

Speaking of rugs. This is the Bear I killed two seasons ago. She had a small white patch as well and taxidermist just split it right down the middle so you can still see a bit on each side. Yours would still show quite a bit if done that way.
This was also my farthest shot at an
20220530_092134.jpg
20231115_183146.jpg
animal. With Angle compensation I had to dial for 590yrs, line of sight was touch over 600. Down hill shot
Be carefully, Bear hunting is addicting and so is the meat!

I've actually seen black bears out and about in central mt already. I understand they don't actually hibernate all winter and we have had unusually warm weather here - **** sure makes it a long time till spring bear!! But where I live I'm still in a shoulder season for cow elk till next weekend but with shoulder surgery a week ago and knee surgery on the 22 of February, I'm kinda hosed for a few days

Couple years ago I had my right shoulder replaced on feb 8, then my left knee on Jun 22nd (waited till spring season was over. Depending on what kind of surgery you're having you'll still most likely have a good spring season. The bears really won't be out to any degree until the 13th of May give or take.

Speaking of rugs. This is the Bear I killed two seasons ago. She had a small white patch as well and taxidermist just split it right down the middle so you can still see a bit on each side. Yours would still show quite a bit if done that way.
This was also my farthest shot at anView attachment 543033View attachment 543034 animal. With Angle compensation I had to dial for 590yrs, line of sight was touch over 600. Down hill shot
Be carefully, Bear hunting is addicting and so is the meat!
I split mine down the middle when skinning it the same way your taxidermist did, I'm excited to get it back.
Nice shooting!
Definitely some of my favorite hunting. Late fall bears up high eating berries is probably my favorite game meat!

Work just confirmed my request for 5 days off in middle of May and then another 5 days off for memorial day week!
My son Logan and I will be backpacking in the Idaho Panhandle some where for both trips...
Yep can't wait. I think the anticipation and e scouting and bow and arrow preparations and bullet reloading and all is almost as fun as the hunt.

Good luck out there! I've only got a narrow window between work trips for spring bear. Hopefully I can make it happen with a quick coastal hunt up here.

I love the blaze, the last pre-COVID bear season I had an Ontario black bear coming into the bait that had a blaze (if you can call it that) on the top of his head. It was not a huge bear and only the first I had seen on what was the first of 5 days I was pretty set on harvesting the bear given a chance as the head topping white patch would have made a nice addition to the other bear rugs in the house. Alas, something spooked the bear and I never got a shot nor did I see the bear again.