First black bears

DRNAlaska

My parents kept our kids for a few days this fall so the wife and I were able to get up in the mountains together. We both ended up with our first black bears. She took hers at 420 yards with a 6.5 PRC. I took mine at 230 yards with a 338 wm.
IMG_3723.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg
IMG_6080.jpeg

I've actually seen black bears out and about in central mt already. I understand they don't actually hibernate all winter and we have had unusually warm weather here - **** sure makes it a long time till spring bear!! But where I live I'm still in a shoulder season for cow elk till next weekend but with shoulder surgery a week ago and knee surgery on the 22 of February, I'm kinda hosed for a few days

Your wife is definitely a keeper to go out bear hunting with you! And apparently a great shot!
That white patch is really unique looking. Do you see that often?
Congratulations to you both!
We see that real often in Alberta, probably 30+%. Unfortunately it's always missing when you make a rug!

I've actually seen black bears out and about in central mt already. I understand they don't actually hibernate all winter and we have had unusually warm weather here - **** sure makes it a long time till spring bear!! But where I live I'm still in a shoulder season for cow elk till next weekend but with shoulder surgery a week ago and knee surgery on the 22 of February, I'm kinda hosed for a few days
I know a guy up here that almost got chew up by a griz in feb with a few feet of fresh snow on the ground. Just came out for a lil midnight snack I guess!

Your wife is definitely a keeper to go out bear hunting with you! And apparently a great shot!
That white patch is really unique looking. Do you see that often?
Congratulations to you both!
She definitely is! It was brutal getting them and camp all the way from up near the alpine back down to the waterline, she loved all of it. Perfect shot, the bear didn't go 20 ft went belly up and slid down the mountain! I've seen 2 others with patches like that but neither as prominent as that one.