CLASS 3 FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEC TO OWN

might want to look up and read up on both the NFA and why it came about.

second, when you push your paperwork for a NFA item it's not a license, it's a tax stamp to own a suppressor, SBR, SBS, AOW, and a pre 86 full auto

3rd, you can apply for a class 3 and/or a SOT license. with a SOT/class 3, you can buy and sell and all that jazz with NFA items, including owning post 86 full auto......post 86 "sample" i think is what term is being used.

but read the second line about license versus tax stamp.

as far as getting the NFA repealed, yea no chance of that happening anytime soon. maybe post SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. though crime statistics legally owned NFA items used in crime since the NFA started is low, like really really sub 10 (maybe under 5) instances low if i'm remembering correctly

I haven't had time to scrutinize this in detail to see if it holds promise but I'll pass it along for others' info. It looks like there's a cost, $X.xx/1000 records, etc., to access databases which will associate a given individual's address with a congressional district, but that's just at first glance. It also looks like these tools exist and don't need to be reinvented, but who knows if one would be accessible to us for the purpose of rousing support for modifying the NFA.

Anyway, here's some info on that:

Where I started from was an article in the American Hunter. How to buy a Suppressor. I looked into paper work directly on the net. There was more than I could file out. So I set up through silencercentral.com to do the paper work for me. The cost, wasn't the problem, but the time frame was. When it not much more that a glorified section of pipe. I ask myself why the amount of paper work, and time to accomplish or complete the purchase of the suppressor.
When you can go in and purchase a firearm in about 15 minutes, and walk out the door. That firearm can do great Bodley harm. It's one thing if the suppressor could do harm, but that not the case. By itself the suppressor isn't anymore dangers than a rock or club. So there isn't any reason in God green earth to make it do difficult to purchase nor a $206.00 fee. The paper work you fill out for a firearm should be more than enough to purchase the suppressor.

What happens is you do not pass go and end up in jail. A **** good way to end up with a federal felony rap. There has been several convictions of people who believed that they could have a suppressor because of those meaningless laws.

Can you say Supremacy Clause?

The problem is selective enforcement of the supremacy clause. Look at all the states legalizing marijuana and other drugs for recreational use and the Feds do nothing about it. There are grow houses all over Colorado now and they don't get raided. I do agree if this were to pass here in TX that the Feds would raid every "manufacturer" they could find to send a message.

Go figure, they want to get rid of law abiding gun owners and allow the drugs so that they can keep getting votes from those that depend on government assistance for their entire lives. Shocking I know.

I want to apologize to all that have put input into this. I was wrong on the form. It's is Form 4. So I miss lead everybody, and some spotted it and made me aware of it. Thanks! I looked it up late last night. Down loaded the form.
It hasn't changed my thinking, but there other item that I have been made aware of. In trying to get congress to revise their law. The task to get it done.
It maybe really hard to overcome and make a change in the law. It shouldn't be this complex. It's just a glorified piece of pipe. It can't hurt anybody. It has to be attached to a firearm to function.
Still I believe that purchasing a suppressor should on a form like purchasing a firearm (Form 4473). Not a 9 to 12 month ordeal and having to apply on Form-4. So I am going to rethink this some, and try to move it forward again.
THANKS AND I APOLOGIZE AGAIN!

No problem, Mike. We are on your side and were close to getting it done with the Hearing Protection Act when the left wing terrorist shot up the Republican Congressmen playing baseball. It was to be voted on in the House that week and would have passed and made it to the Senate.

But because some left-wing lunatic shot up people (he didn't use a suppressor) it died and was never sent to the floor.

We all agree with you that the NFA law from 1934 is stupid, but getting it changed now is likely only to happen in court.

What happens is you do not pass go and end up in jail. A **** good way to end up with a federal felony rap. There has been several convictions of people who believed that they could have a suppressor because of those meaningless laws.

Can you say Supremacy Clause?

the article I read did in fact mention some trouble for a couple of Kansas residents. To be perfectly frank I didn't read the actual text of the proposed law in Texas, but the article I read did mention that the wording was specifically changed to avoid the problem that those folks encountered and went on to mention that it provides a basis for Texas to defend it in federal court which the Kansas law lacked.

the article I read did in fact mention some trouble for a couple of Kansas residents. To be perfectly frank I didn't read the actual text of the proposed law in Texas, but the article I read did mention that the wording was specifically changed to avoid the problem that those folks encountered and went on to mention that it provides a basis for Texas to defend it in federal court which the Kansas law lacked.
I am not willing to be a test case for $200 and a 12 month wait like these two saps were: https://apnews.com/article/91541e86b9894ef28db49c75c52c3461

I am not willing to be a test case for $200 and a 12 month wait like these two saps were: https://apnews.com/article/91541e86b9894ef28db49c75c52c3461
Nobody said anything about being a test case. It was and is to, have congress to change the law. By a bill being voted on by congress and passed. Then signed by the President.
It wouldn't be easy, but I was thinking that if everybody wrote the Federal congress to amend the law to use form 4473 for approval of the sale of a suppressor. T

he form used to purchase a firearm in 15 to 20 minutes in most states, and you are done.

I know that being a board of director for 30yrs. You better listen to your people. They may have it wrong, but you better listen. Take the time to explain it to them.
There was one time a man spent 6 months at our board meeting, and listen to what we were doing. Hell he got be part of the family there. He had heard at the donut shop how bad things were. At the end of the 6 months. He stated before the board. I never seen a group that worked on problems so hard, and getting them taken care. He said that boys at the donut shop were a bunch of armchair director's didn't know where to throw the football.
Bottom line I am not done yet, but thinking about it.
So no way I was saying to do something illegal. Pushing on congress isn't illegal nor wrong. it's how you get things done

All of us need to write our congressmen and Senator to get this off or backs. Just to the web site and put in your state and it will get you your Senators, and congressmen. Request that this law be changed. If enough get behind we can get it changed. H*ll they don't anything else to do.
I am going to put this to people talk to on the net in addition just us.
I have it in a PDF file and post it here.
Thanks for a copy of your letter. I printed it for reference on ideas. I watch and participate in 3 or 4 European Forums about hunting and notice well over half of the hunters use a suppressor. In some countries they are required others encourage and still others allowed. Why are we so different. The European countries have much stricter firearm ownership and storage laws that America. I don't see most of those countries constantly proposing additional restrictions every day or stopping the use of safety equipment. Letters are going to all my congressman shortly.

No I am not an FFL licensee. I am filing for Class 3 Licenses to be able to have and use a suppressor, and my brother, sons, and a friend can use it without going to Jail.
This a long drawn out permit, that this shouldn't be. The suppressor isn't thing more than a glorified pipe, that's can't cause harm. It just reduces the noise from a firearm that has to be attached. I feel that an application shouldn't take a year to get or more. If really needed to be a form much like the form we fill out to purchase a firearm at the most. No fee require. The firearm is the only item, that can hurt anybody, and that takes 15 to 20 minutes to purchase in most states I believe. So why the months to get a permit. That's what so stupid about it. I don't really want a full auto firearm either, (they use far to much ammo. I carried about 1100 rounds in Vietnam. so I know about full auto) but that what we are being forced into to allow other people to be able to use a suppressor, without you going to jail. A knife can hurt people, but there on permit to purchase one either.

There's no such thing as a Class 3 license. When you purchase a Class 3 NFA item, you pay $200 for a tax stamp, not a license.
No matter if you do a Form 1 or a Form 4, No matter if it's an Individual or a Trust.
I currently have four Form 4 suppressor's on a Trust, and three Form 1 suppressor's that I did as an Individual. I have seven $200 Tax Stamps for all of them, but I yet ever received a "Class 3 License" for any of them, nor for the two machine guns that I owned back in the 1980's - 90's.

I got news for all, nothing in the world of firearms is going to become easier or lower in cost under the current administration, no matter how many letters you send or calls you make or meetings you attend. I may be come more difficult and more costly if 'they' get their way. You would almost have to have had your head in the sand if you did see what will probably be coming at us.

Last edited:
No problem, Mike. We are on your side and were close to getting it done with the Hearing Protection Act when the left wing terrorist shot up the Republican Congressmen playing baseball. It was to be voted on in the House that week and would have passed and made it to the Senate.

But because some left-wing lunatic shot up people (he didn't use a suppressor) it died and was never sent to the floor.

We all agree with you that the NFA law from 1934 is stupid, but getting it changed now is likely only to happen in court.
I learned some new things. It's an Form-4. Not what I stated a Class-3 lic. So I started off being partly wrong for sure.
I am looking at trying to get the fed's to use form 4473, which is the form we fill out to purchase a firearm at a store.
It's to bad that it didn't get though.