Form 1- Build your own suppressor

I'm pretty simple when it comes to baffles. I use formed freeze plugs and a chainsaw file to clip. I put the edge of the freeze plug in a vice, grab it with a set of channel locks and bend it out just a little. Line up the clips and pound them in. Creates a tight, mechanical, stable fit that doesn't rotate with firing. The carbon build up then stabilizes it even more. I use 8-10 of them without spacers. Works very well.
Quietest Can I have

I'm new to DIY on this. Any thoughts on standard freeze plugs vs 60 degree formed ones?

I don't know anything about freeze plugs but the can I put together is awesome. There are a lot of neasayers online that think if it's not a store bought can it's junk. I'm gonna take my junk can and the extra $500 in my pocket and have a good time! Nufsaid.

Homemade is certainly NOT junk.

But it's also kind of hard to weld an 8oz tubeless titanium suppressor in my garage, which is why TBAC is still in business. Not that I don't want an excuse to buy a new MIller Dynasty, but an $8,000 welder would kind of negate the savings of DIY in this case. 🤡

While it won't be welded, if you buy titanium parts for your baffles you could get something into the 10oz range. My 8" titanium cans w/ stainless baffles are 13-14oz.

I'm new to DIY on this. Any thoughts on standard freeze plugs vs 60 degree formed ones?
Freeze plugs are heavy, take a long can to suppress worth crap, and aren't going to stand up to stout calibers.

You want heat treated 17-4 stainless and/or titanium baffles. For supersonic rounds, you're looking for either 50° or one of the more advanced geometry baffles.

If you're dead set on freeze plugs *shudder*, they need to be formed. But don't... Just get a proper set of cones.

Freeze plugs are heavy, take a long can to suppress worth crap, and aren't going to stand up to stout calibers.

You want heat treated 17-4 stainless and/or titanium baffles. For supersonic rounds, you're looking for either 50° or one of the more advanced geometry baffles.

If you're dead set on freeze plugs *shudder*, they need to be formed. But don't... Just get a proper set of cones.
Not true at all. Yes, compared to a titanium baffle they are heavier. Outside of that, formed, clipped, stainless freeze plugs can work very well and will stand up to anything. My formed freeze plug cans work just as well, maybe even better, than a Silencer Co Omega. They don't leave you wanting for anything. My longest cans are 8" and weigh 14oz. Not the lightest in the world but a Dead Air Sandman weighs 20oz, so not bad either. Formed freeze plugs also cost $40/10. Whereas a single machined titanium baffle costs $30-40. You need 8-10 baffles for decent suppression. If you plan on building more than 1 can then it adds up fast…and once you build one you'll want to build more.

Not true at all. Yes, compared to a titanium baffle they are heavier. Outside of that, formed, clipped, stainless freeze plugs can work very well and will stand up to anything. My formed freeze plug cans work just as well, maybe even better, than a Silencer Co Omega. They don't leave you wanting for anything. My longest cans are 8" and weigh 14oz. Not the lightest in the world but a Dead Air Sandman weighs 20oz, so not bad either. Formed freeze plugs also cost $40/10. Whereas a single machined titanium baffle costs $30-40. You need 8-10 baffles for decent suppression. If you plan on building more than 1 can then it adds up fast…and once you build one you'll want to build more.
I'm at 5 form 1 stamps for myself and 6 for my dad, I'm certainly aware of the price! That's the /only/ advantage plugs have.

While freeze plugs "work", they are certainly not as good as a proper baffle, either in ability to suppress or in weight.

There are some good cans that only have 3-5 baffles, you don't necessarily need 8-10. All depends on caliber and host.

To you who have did business with Quiet Bore. Were you ever able to contact them? I ordered from them on Nov 26 and have sent 3 emails over 2 weeks. I get an automated reply saying I will be contacted in 1 to 2 days each time but no contact. My credit card was charged by Creative Arms LLC which I understand is their parent company. Even called them and got a voice mail but no reply. It will be 20 days today since I ordered an in stock item. I got my Form 1 approved in 22! They must have "really good" products if they can stay in business with that kind of customer support.

They are solid but it is a small company. Covid has comm and work slowed down but they are doing all they can. Both of my cans are great

Thanks

Buck

Been using mine for over a decade on magnums with no problems, it's the quietest can I have

I concur

finally, after almost 6 years being approved, i'm finally got my stuff together and next week is getting sent off to be engraved and holes drilled.

JR Armament stuff as follows.

1.75 OD Titanium tube

2 17-4 50 degree, ported SS baffles

followed by 4 50degree ported radial Titanium baffle

with the direct thread mount this thing is light much lighter than my other 2 that are both 1.5. OD SS

again currently no holes have been drilled (covering my 4th point of contact here)

on my 358win (silver lower) and my 6.8 (black lower)

Attachments

• EBF5B4F6-FDE1-4352-AF1C-A8DE99E26D7C.jpeg
    EBF5B4F6-FDE1-4352-AF1C-A8DE99E26D7C.jpeg
    682.5 KB · Views: 21
  • D86A68B8-4C15-4EA9-8AFB-56DCEC662C31.jpeg
    D86A68B8-4C15-4EA9-8AFB-56DCEC662C31.jpeg
    731 KB · Views: 28