Form 1 disapproval

JEck1

So I just submitted my first form one a month ago to the day, and got disapproved. I was planning on using a maglite as a tube and freeze plugs for baffles, just to have something to throw on an AR cheap. At the time of submitting I didn't have any of the stuff, so when it asked for me to submit pictures of the materials I was gonna use to build it I sent a screenshot of my computer screen with me saying "I don't possess anything to make a silencer at the time and won't until I get an approved form one." This is what I read people were doing a watched countless videos of people doing and getting approved. Fast forward a month and I'm disapproved. I now have a D cell flashlight in my possession but no freeze plugs or adapters, so when I resubmit do I just send a pic of the flashlight and describe how I'm gonna make it once approved or what have you guys been having luck with doing? Just hoping to not have to wait another month after this one gets submitted, thanks in advance!

So I just submitted my first form one a month ago to the day, and got disapproved. I was planning on using a maglite as a tube and freeze plugs for baffles, just to have something to throw on an AR cheap. At the time of submitting I didn't have any of the stuff, so when it asked for me to submit pictures of the materials I was gonna use to build it I sent a screenshot of my computer screen with me saying "I don't possess anything to make a silencer at the time and won't until I get an approved form one." This is what I read people were doing a watched countless videos of people doing and getting approved. Fast forward a month and I'm disapproved. I now have a D cell flashlight in my possession but no freeze plugs or adapters, so when I resubmit do I just send a pic of the flashlight and describe how I'm gonna make it once approved or what have you guys been having luck with doing? Just hoping to not have to wait another month after this one gets submitted, thanks in advance!
Talk to whoever communicated with you from ATF. They should be able to tell you

Thanks

Buck

You have to provide 2 of the 4 pieces of information they request, which are the process you'll use to manufacture it, the source you'll get materials from, pictures of the materials you have, and the name of the kit if you're using a kit. Anything that implies you're using a kit is an instant denial. If you haven't bought parts there's nothing to send pictures of, and depending on who's reviewing it they might deny if you have anything you plan to use to make a silencer. I'd avoid pictures all together. That leaves the process you'll use to make it and the supplier you'll get parts from.

I give fairly detailed information on how I plan to build it including the tools I'll use and list the material suppliers I buy from. I include a comment saying the supplier I choose will depend on price and availability when I buy materials after approval. They seem to deny people who give minimal information or use the same responses as other people.

Thanks for the input. It's so aggravating that it's such a grey area for what you can possess without a form one and what you can't, and it seems to be changing at the drop of a hat. I just don't wanna be getting my house raided trying to get one of these approved haha.

Thanks for the input. It's so aggravating that it's such a grey area for what you can possess without a form one and what you can't, and it seems to be changing at the drop of a hat. I just don't wanna be getting my house raided trying to get one of these approved haha.
Exactly. I considered doing one but I want to make sure I follow the law. Thanks for sharing.

Do you know why? I'm curious. I have a few friends who bought the kits in the past and got them approved really easy. I'm just wondering what had changed.
The legal definition of silencer includes "any part intended only for use in [a silencer]". About a year ago the ATF determined form 1 kits, undrilled cones, and other similar parts are intended only for use in making silencers. Thus, they are already silencers, and can't be used to make a silencer on a form 1.

Prior to last year's mass denial they didn't really care. Since then they've required extra information prior to approval, which they use to determine whether or not you're using parts that meet their interpretation of the definition of silencer. I'm sure there's people lying on their forms, getting approved, and using premade parts, but that's not something I'd recommend.