Boots from certain individuals

Looking for input from people that have gone through bunion removal.
I just had my surgery and I am in the recovery process.
I am focusing on 2 goals.
To guide again and a sheep hunt.
I would like to have input from others that have had the same experience and the boots they chose.
Kennetrek is out of the question for me. I was a 20 plus year user and fan of thier boots but this last year showed me the true story of that company. So no more of the company.
I would like to hear if you have a custom insole,boot combo or any input for me to think over. View attachment 589268View attachment 589269View attachment 589270View attachment 589271View attachment 589321
RH300UM,

I've lived your bunion nightmare for the last 40 years. I finally had my right foot done in 2019 and wasn't completely satisfied with the results, so I decided not to do do the left, but I did buy the L&S Mountain Extreme Hunters from Lathrop and sons. I like the boots, but they are very stiff, which was a benefit for me. My surgery was done slightly different which requires a stiffer boot. I'm not able to be as quiet in these boots but they work. After 5 more years suffering with the left foot, I finally had it done. I'm 65 and just do 2-5 mile day hikes anymore, so I don't put boots through the same testing that you do. I've hunted in snow and minor creek crossings without leaks so far. Their great on steep hillsides and rocky soils. My old Irish Setters couldn't handle the terrain in SW Colorado. The Lathrom process worked for me , but the cost is vey high. It's like buying a new car; before you finished they'll try to sell you socks, special insoles ( which are very good) and a host of other add-one. And you feel about like you do when the 1st payment comes do on that new car.
I like the boots, the insoles and the socks.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1939.png
    IMG_1939.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 56
This post really represents the best thing about this site:

- lots of good boot/insole info and suggestions based on real experience
- excellent health suggestions based on real experience
- prayers and good wishes based on us being a community

Try that with a bear pistol, copper bullet or .22 cal centerfire thread...

RH300UM,

I've lived your bunion nightmare for the last 40 years. I finally had my right foot done in 2019 and wasn't completely satisfied with the results, so I decided not to do do the left, but I did buy the L&S Mountain Extreme Hunters from Lathrop and sons. I like the boots, but they are very stiff, which was a benefit for me. My surgery was done slightly different which requires a stiffer boot. I'm not able to be as quiet in these boots but they work. After 5 more years suffering with the left foot, I finally had it done. I'm 65 and just do 2-5 mile day hikes anymore, so I don't put boots through the same testing that you do. I've hunted in snow and minor creek crossings without leaks so far. Their great on steep hillsides and rocky soils. My old Irish Setters couldn't handle the terrain in SW Colorado. The Lathrom process worked for me , but the cost is vey high. It's like buying a new car; before you finished they'll try to sell you socks, special insoles ( which are very good) and a host of other add-one. And you feel about like you do when the 1st payment comes do on that new car.
I like the boots, the insoles and the socks.
Yours looks to be more invasive than mine. I'm going to make the best of what I have. I'll see if the recovery genetics I have been given still work! Sure did take for granted how much my feet worked all those years and miles without fail.
I actually have their insole in my aircast boot now. Thing was killing my right heel. Put the insole in it and no more problems😁👍

This post really represents the best thing about this site:

- lots of good boot/insole info and suggestions based on real experience
- excellent health suggestions based on real experience
- prayers and good wishes based on us being a community

Try that with a bear pistol, copper bullet or .22 cal centerfire thread...
Amen !!

Check out Latrop and Sons. I would fo straight to them. Swallow down the price and hunt happy. If you don't another choice is Hanwag has some models with a Bunion cut to them. I can not say I've actually used then though. Good luck and speedy recovery
Yep I have a pair and they are wonderful--I also have a set of Russell grand slam sheep hunters that are awesome--but they have changed ownership and the way they do business. I wanted a set of new boots and they went up about 35% in price--u guess they have to pay on their note

For me Danners have a wide enough toe box and fit my budget, but my maximum hiking is Appalachia so different needs likely.

For those without these issues yet prevention and foot care is key. When there is no need for support like serious hiking wear minimal shoes with wide toe box or barefoot if possible. Toespacers even if needed. Your arch isn't supposed to be supported by your shoes and the constant support weaken your foot. Switched three years ago and my feet actually feel strong, my toes have noticeably spread out, and I don't have foot and knee pain as often.

I'm sorry to hear that the Sheepfeet didn't work for you. I wear custom orthotics and the process for getting the Sheepfeet is exactly the same as what the podiatrist did. While my Sheepfeet are not exactly the same as my custom orthotics, they are close and even include a metatarsal pad.

I wish you the best in finding boots that fit your needs. I have neuropathy in my feet and finding a boot that doesn't aggravate it is hard.

I used Kennetreks for years like you, not quite as many, and my feet gave out during a goat tag I drew. It was a painful seanson. I went to Crispi and got some footbeds made from Brent at SkiTek. He works with a podiatrist up in Ketchum. My feet are happy again. It might be worth a call to him and see what he says. It is only 2.5 hour drive from Pocatello. I wish you a speedy recovery. I can pull 15 miles in day if needed. I am 65 and my feet are better than they were at 58. Good luck.

@RH300UM, my hat is off to you at your foot woes.
I had some Asolo soles delaminate on me in the Tetons, and a pair of Garmont that caused incredible blistering because they didn't breathe. I currently use Scarpas for mountain climbing.
Last time I was looking for hunting boots, I asked a good friend who used the same guide multiple times (sheep, goat & moose). He said Crispi, based on what the guide recommended. The Kennetreks that the guide formerly used, like you, had the soles wear out every year. Not so with Crispis.
For me to try them out, finding Crispis in size 48 locally was impossible (i.e., no one had them in stock). I settled on a pair White Owyhee. They're stiff, not as stiff as mountaineering boots, and they breathe while being waterproof. This year will be my fifth year in them. I expect to be up in the snows with them this fall, and fortunately they have remained waterproof thus far.
As far as hikers, I've tried Salomon, Asolo, Keen, Merrill and Obōz -- none stay waterproof and few have lasted more than a season, and none are a suitable fit for rugged, off path terrain.
Best of healing to you, I think we all take our feet for granted until they revolt.

Last edited: