Boots from certain individuals

A lady's boot.....
RH300UM....
Are you a Woman?
Made me laugh. My Dad had such skinny narrow feet he often bought women's footwear, and that was his exact size in a B width😊

I didn't get his skinny feet. I have wide, meaty feet that need sufficient room top to bottom in the toebox, which means that several brands are impossible for me to wear without blistering the tops of my toes (not because of length issues). But maybe I have some useful input for OP.

While I don't have a bunion, I do have a nerve issue on top of my big toe, right at the same joint. That makes it even more necessary for me to have boots that have a "high" toebox, and ones that the uppers don't "break" or fold right over that joint. Add to that that I want all leather and have very high arches, so I need orthotics.

So, in my never ending search for boots to replace my current falling apart and glued back together ones, I have tried well over a dozen ordered mail order and probably another dozen in stores over the last few years. I at least did buy extras of the last ones that worked, but they are now worn out too and discontinued. Things are getting desperate since I have now re-glued my "good" ones and resurrected my old ones and re-glued those.

So needing the roomy toebox, all leather, and a roomy enough tongue bellows entry to get my high arch into, I finally found a pair of Crispi Tibet GTX to try. They are new and I am still breaking them in, but I am optimistic. My old Vasques are super broken in, so I am very used to those. The Crispi has a much stiffer sole than I am used to, so I am having to place my feet on the tops of rocks more carefully right now (just getting to the point of hikes with them now). But for a repaired bunion, that might not be a bad thing - less sole flex.

The roominess around the toes is very nice, and not a disadvantage due to the lacing system. There is plenty of room for me and my orthotic. There is a special lock-eye that locks the tightness you want over the front of your foot and instep before you then tighten the laces around the ankle. On my trashed ankle, that allows me to not get the boot too tight over the troublesome nerve trigger, yet still be able to truss up my bad ankle on the same foot.

So, OP, I have to agree that a pair of Crispis might be worth trying. They are spendy, but if they allow you to walk, the cost benefit ratio goes up significantly. And I can't go barefoot. I don't know what to tell you on the footbeds since I removed those. But you may want to get some custom orthotics. My Pedorthist made dense foam ones for me that are firm but not hard like the fiberglass ones I got years ago from a Podiatrist. Maybe your surgeon can refer you to someone good.

Since they are new, I can't speak to the longevity, but I have been known to go through a pair of boots in a season, so I will soon enough know how they stand up. I have returned from hunts with Duct tape holding my sole on and also ended the season with ShoeGoo or Gorilla Glue holding my sole on (like now).

For comparison, both Kennetrek and Mendle boots were way too low top to bottom in the toebox for my meaty foot, thus, I have had to return those when I tried them just indoors.

I doubt that any manufacturer extends warantees to repairs, actually, but it would be nice to know what to expect. It does sound like you got amazing wear out of your old boots, really.

Danner does have better room in the toes of their boots as well, and builds on several lasts, but their sizing changed radically over the last few years, and now my size 8 to 8.5 seems to need a 9.5! I have a pair of Pronghorns (all leather) I am working on too, but they are a little too high for my calf, so I think I may have to shorten them to really wear them. I don't think those will last as well as the Kennetrek, and those can't be resoled. Some Danners can, I believe.

Best of luck with the recovery and the boot hunt. Check back in when you find the perfect boot, it might be worth knowing.

Still going....Salomon...
Wearing today while running chainsaw..View attachment 589594 Probably ten years old....
Boot conversations get wildly subjective.
I've got issued Salomon. I've bought them with my own money. I've worn them for years. Climbed Whitney in a set of XA trail runners. I haven't had them leak anymore or much faster than any Crispi, schnee, danner, lowa, etc that I've ever had.

All waterproof booties wear down with use.

What's crazy is I've never had a creek or stream crossing that I ever thought " wow, I need a different boot for this."

It's either been insignificant, or way too deep either way.

Attachments

• IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2242.jpeg
    IMG_2242.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 59
Boot conversations get wildly subjective.
I've got issued Salomon. I've bought them with my own money. I've worn them for years. Climbed Whitney in a set of XA trail runners. I haven't had them leak anymore or much faster than any Crispi, schnee, danner, lowa, etc that I've ever had.

All waterproof booties wear down with use.

What's crazy is I've never had a creek or stream crossing that I ever thought " wow, I need a different boot for this."

It's either been insignificant, or way too deep either way.
What is the model?

What is the model?
Which model do you want the model? Those are three different boots. There's the quest and the XAs.

Of those there's the government models and the civilian models. On the outside they are similar, but the mil ones use a different more breathable booty, and have a different sole. Better on slippery services imo. As well as some other not related stuff for like parachuting and fast roping.

-The civilian ones are the black ones in the snow.
-The quest forces are the tan ones are the snow.
-And the XAs forces are the ones in the desert.
..and I have 8 other ones.

Looking for input from people that have gone through bunion removal.
I just had my surgery and I am in the recovery process.
I am focusing on 2 goals.
To guide again and a sheep hunt.
I would like to have input from others that have had the same experience and the boots they chose.
Kennetrek is out of the question for me. I was a 20 plus year user and fan of thier boots but this last year showed me the true story of that company. So no more of the company.
I would like to hear if you have a custom insole,boot combo or any input for me to think over. View attachment 589268View attachment 589269View attachment 589270View attachment 589271View attachment 589321
I didn't see you Post earlier and sorry to hear and see your issue. I have had problems with boots for many years. Seem like my feet keep growing. I had size 12 in my late 40s and now size 14+ in my late 60s. I had good luck with Danner, but looking for something different now. My right foot looks like your #4 picture. Hope that I don't need surgery like you had. Good luck with a new Boot. Will follow this post.

I saw a set of these in Challis last weekend..price was much higher..but looked like a great pair of hikers..to me anyways....
I just can't see throwing away my original pair of GTX.....yet....still have 50% of tread remaining on them....no serious wear holes in the exterior fabric...only one little place where threads broke loose...
But I have to attribute that to short foot syndrome....puts the bend of my toes further back in the shoe then they were designed......water still gets in the top of every shoe......but for weight..usage...waterproof...tread...support....high arches....all I need.....
And I have had lots of ankle sprains....especially as a kid...Gopher holes everywhere....

Which model do you want the model? Those are three different boots. There's the quest and the XAs.

Of those there's the government models and the civilian models. On the outside they are similar, but the mil ones use a different more breathable booty, and have a different sole. Better on slippery services imo. As well as some other not related stuff for like parachuting and fast roping.

-The civilian ones are the black ones in the snow.
-The quest forces are the tan ones are the snow.
-And the XAs forces are the ones in the desert.
..and I have 8 other ones.
I was asking about the ones you were wearing in the picture.

I didn't see you Post earlier and sorry to hear and see your issue. I have had problems with boots for many years. Seem like my feet keep growing. I had size 12 in my late 40s and now size 14+ in my late 60s. I had good luck with Danner, but looking for something different now. My right foot looks like your #4 picture. Hope that I don't need surgery like you had. Good luck with a new Boot. Will follow this post.
Go to the doctor now.
Get it looked at.
I put mine off way too long.

I would think some sort of custom build would be needed but I would NOT recomend Lathrop and Sons.
I will try to keep this short unless asked to elaborate.
I have narrow feet and a very narrow heel which makes it very hard to find a boot that does not slip in the heel.
I have tried so many different brands it is ridiculous with no luck. So I bit the bullet and went "FULL CUSTOM" with Lathrop and Sons.
Is it a well built boot? Yes probably the best built boot I have ever seen. With features that I have not seen in otber boots, at least not all in one boot. Is it comfortable? Yes, very at least on the mild stuff. Once I hit the steep and rugged the only way I could get the heel from slipping on the uphills and the side of my foot from killi g me on the steep down hills and side hills was to have the lasses pulled so tight that after about ten minutes the top of my foot was killing me from the pressure. I my Son (hunting partner) was about to trade me in due to how many times I was stopping to readjust my lasses. I tortured my feet for two seasons of fall Elk/deer hunting and two spring bear hunting all the time thinking they just need to break in a bit more.
Also they are very heavy for how short they are.
As I said I went their full custom rought for an embarrassing amount of money ( that my wife does know about) and all I can say is they are not at all a custom built to your foot . From what I can tell, You get the same boot as everyone else with a fancy jell insole if you pay the extra $150 bucks for it.
Like I said they are a very impresingly built boot but in no way are the custom to your foot. I just wish I would have realized this before it was too late to return them.
I blame most of my boot problems on my unique foot geometry. And anyone that loves the supposedly custom L&S boot just got lucky that it just fit right just like a Kenitrek or Crispy or any other might.

OP, sorry I Do not have a recomendation for you but just do not want you to possibly spend that kind of money on a pair of boots that are not custom built.
If you want to check them out then I wound recommend just getting a pair without the custom build option and see how they work for you.. every foot is different.

Go to the doctor now.
Get it looked at.
I put mine off way too long.
I have monster looking feet. If you saw a picture of my feet you would have nightmares. Been to my foot Dr. so many time they all know me by first name and all our animal names.
I was a 21 mile a day runner in the Marines (wanted to make sure that I could outrun an adversary) and then an Ultra Marathon (50-75 mile) runner for many years. Took a toll on my toes and feet.
I need a new pair of non insulated boots for hunting with at least 8" high. I have a pair of Danner USMC Marine Expeditionary Boots like new, but they are heavy, a pair of Danner Pronghorns but the sole split and a pair of Danner 10" Logger Boots (heavy).
I think that Boots foot ware are the most important of you clothing!

Lathrop & Sons, there is no better option on the market currently to be able to accommodate individual footwear needs. If you'd like, please shoot me a pm and I can give some more detailed feedback.