Boots from certain individuals

Again about the Lathop and Sons boots.
As said in my previous post, dang well built boot but I do not believe they are custom built even when paying their "custom" pricing.

You're going to have to get actual custom orthotics. If your insurance doesn't cover them, expect to pay upwards of $600 for a set.

I have Sheepfeet and custom orthotics, with inserts for heavy pack outs.

I run crispi boots, but it sounds like you may need to try something that's actually custom.

I tried sheepfeet they did NOT work for me. They actually made my feet worse. My heels got deep bruising to them. Which wasn't fun 2 weeks before guide season last year!😩

You thought of trying any of the custom leather guys that make boots for our wildfire fighters and such?

Nicks and Franks seem to be the top of them

May be worth a call to see what they have to say about the situation. They are used in severe environments; can't imagine it'd be a wasted call. And both have "customizer" options where you can build things out different from their "stock" lines and get a bit more of what you want.

Franks even has crazy custom leathers if you feel like a nut, though maybe some of it is actually noticeably more durable or something, perhaps I shouldn't judge. But things like Bison, or crazy like Caiman, shark, ostrich...

I have loggers boots, I walk trees with my 372 and 36" bar knocking off limbs, maintaining balance isn't easy for me, especially as things move, these boots are working for the guys that do this stuff for a living, they may be a worthwhile option.

I have often wondered why more people don't wear these kind of boot more for hunting.
It's all loggers and as you said wildlands firefighters use all day every day

IMG_7745.jpeg

A before and after I got from the Doc today

I have often wondered why more people don't wear these kind of boot more for hunting.
It's all loggers and as you said wildlands firefighters use all day every day
Because not everything in hunting is chopping trees on the side of a super steep hill.

Hard soles aren't great for stealth, stalking or feeling the ground while you move with intention.

They're heavy. Sometimes you have to walk up, down and straight for a long time. A lot of forest fire people can drive vehicles, or have other resources to get to where they need to be.

I think people mistake comfort and function for a job that requires and prioritizes protection.

View attachment 599313
I got to give the boot (walking cast) the boot goodbye today.
Another step closer to being able to hike and hunt again
October 8 is the next and possibly the last appointment
That is a big increment of improvement! Patience will really be key now, because it will be feeling good, to not do something you are not supposed to do yet. Just when a repair like that feels really good it is your most dangerous time. Being able to walk must feel really nice about now. 😄

Last edited:
View attachment 599313
I got to give the boot (walking cast) the boot goodbye today.
Another step closer to being able to hike and hunt again
October 8 is the next and possibly the last appointment
I'm a Lowa supporter now. Use to be Meindls. A few yrs ago I tried every boot I could come up with. Probably spent enough on shipping and returns to pay for a pair. Lowa won out, fit my feet the best. Resole took 4-5 mths. Boots sent back to Germany. My wife loves her Lowas also.