Boots from certain individuals

Looks like they fused that joint. How does that seem to affect your mobility? I have a right ankle fusion, it reall limits my ability to go up steep terrain. I will always have to side hill and meander up or flat out turn sideways to climb some things. I have about 10-20ā° range of motion in my right ankle, as far as pointing my toes up or down. I still have 80ā°+ range of motion side to side.

1000000969.jpg
1000000966.jpg

1000000037.jpg

I can't help much with boots, as I still wear a lot of my old combat boots from my Army days. It'll be nine years ago I broke my leg on the 29th. I just find 8-10" uppers on boots work for me, so I wear Shnees 10" pac boot in bad weather. On long elk hunts I still pack an air splint that I can fit inside my boot if I need more support. I also wear a lot of my old Army tube socks, having them go over the calf and almost to the knee, keeps them from sliding down and bunching up in the bottom of my boot.

Just keep up with your physical therapy and keep moving as much as possible. I sit on my butt most days for my work, 8-16 hrs between van rides and operating trains. I try and get out and walk 3-5 miles a few times a week. I've even bid lower paying jobs on the RR to just have the opportunity to walk more.

I don't know how old you are, but I was 43 when I broke my ankle. After I recovered from my accident, I really struggled to maintain my weight. It seemed like nothing I did helped even while dieting and exercising my weight was still creeping up. My primary physician said it was just my age, and that I needed to try harder to lose weight. I'd yo-yo up and down, but always weigh heavier every annual.

I hit 256 lbs in January of this year, 36 lbs heavier than I was when I retired from the Army. Mad at my primary care (PC) for their inability to offer suggestions other than you're over 50 now, I went and saw my wife's menopause Dr. She specializes in HRT and nutrition. While my test results were in normal range at my PC for what they tested, the new Dr ran a new battery and it felt like I had to give two pints of blood.

I found out my testosterone was almost nonexistent, my estrogen was so high that I'd need a training bra soon, even though my A1C was good I was 91% insulin resistant, and I had inflamatory markers that put me at risk for an autoimmune disease. She explained to me that when a person goes through a major trauma the body shuts down reproductive functions and focuses on survival. She said my reproductive functions never kicked back in, and my body was producing more estrogen than testosterone.

She started me end of February on sublingual testosterone twice a day, metformin three times daily with meals, and a bunch of OTC vitamins and supplements to lower my inflamatory markers. I've gone from 256 in Jan to 210 currently, size 42" waist to 36" back in May. I'm close to 34" right now, as some of my 36" pants I can take off without having to undo the button and zipper. When I joined the Army in 1992, I was a 32" waist at 195 lbs.

Me at 256, and the first time in years in a large T-shirt and 36" jeans.

1000005248.jpg

Anyway, I apologize for the long post. Just keep an eye on things with your health. Don't wait as long as I did, if you notice something wrong. Never let your Dr say it's just your age, without multiple opinions.

Last edited:
I know now I'll never curse the sun again
It's rays have been a needed part of my recovery
I caught the last ones of the season I think today
They felt wonderful as did the first ones til today
It's hard to explain the feeling as it hits my skin. Soaking into my body
It's healing power totally absorbs and makes me feel better
Much better!