Best 25 caliber to consider on a build.

Bdog35

I have a problem with deciding on which particular 25 caliber to go with. A lot of in decision running through my head. I have a 25wssm that I’m getting rid of but can’t decide what to settle on. Do I go with something like a 25/06 Ackley improved or something like a 25 SST or a 25 creedmoor. What are the components like dies and brass , are they readily available? any help to calm me down , so I can decide what to build and move forward, any help would be appreciated. More reach is the ultimate goal, but I’m wanting a little more knock down and range to the caliber. Thanks in advance
Bdog 35 in Utah

I would start with maximum range you expect/need to have minimum impact velocity, and what you want barrel length to be.

A 26” 25 creedmoor has enough velocity for terminal performance at 1000 yards for most hunting elevation/density altitude..

I am a huge 1/4 bore fan. I have 257AI, 26-06 & 257 Weatherby. Used to use my 25-300WSM, but don’t anymore.
Forget Creed, the 25-06 has much more oooomph and hits at 300 are easy peezy. If you want a laser beam, go 257 Weatherby, hits at 400 are like 300 with a 25-06.
Sure, you CAN build a 25STW or 25-300Weatherby or 25-300RUM, but barrel life isn’t great with those…

Cheers.

25 cal….(my favorite)
If you’re killing things….94% of the available performance of 25 cal can be had with a 2506…cost effectively.

That additional 6% “performance” of the 257Wby,/ 25-300 and other Guicci cases comes at an extreme cost in powder, cases and barrel life….

Paper/steel target tapping at distance with the occasional medium sized game animal…then 25 Creedmoor w/fast twist barrel/highest BC bullets and for scope dialing…..

(note that the 1:8 barrel twist of a 25 Creedmoor is the exact number of turns in the manbuns worn by the guys that shoot em.)

I have a problem with deciding on which particular 25 caliber to go with. A lot of in decision running through my head. I have a 25wssm that I’m getting rid of but can’t decide what to settle on. Do I go with something like a 25/06 Ackley improved or something like a 25 SST or a 25 creedmoor. What are the components like dies and brass , are they readily available? any help to calm me down , so I can decide what to build and move forward, any help would be appreciated. More reach is the ultimate goal, but I’m wanting a little more knock down and range to the caliber. Thanks in advance
Bdog 35 in Utah
The 25-06 AI will rival a 257 wby,forming the cases correctly is the only trick

Recent Posts